JLT vs C&L

mullens

Established Member
In a nutshell, with the proper tune they make the same power.
1. C&L is made of aluminum and it's one piece design fits easier than the JLT.
2. C&L has a better heat shield
2. JLT is a proven CAI with all the tuners.
3. JLT has a neat carbon fiber tube.
4. JLT is lighter
It all comes down to personal preference. They cost about the same. Some say the C&L looks less "aftermarket".
Either way you can't go wrong. Remember it's all in the tune.
Good luck

Last edited:

quicksilver29

I faced the same decision as the OP and went with the C&L with their Diablosport tuner. I'm not a big fan of the JLT's multipiece carbon tube. However, it *may* fit better than the C&L. That big ol' aluminum tube is a b!tch to get lined up and angled perfectly. It's mighty close to contacting the inner fender, strut tower brace, and driver's side valve cover. I used the soft side of industrial strength velcro on these areas just in case it ever decides to rub. I didn't like zip-tieing the filter heat shield, either.... I do have a JLT on my Lightning and have zero complaints. Both manufacturers have great customer service, so it's really down to personal preference.

-Mike

bsmith782

RANDY WATSON!
Established Member
It's a simple decision.

C&L is made of aluminum this = more heat in an already hot engine bay.

My JLT runs IAT's very near ambient air temp. Find a C&L that can say the same.

Last edited:

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
It's a simple decision.

My JLT runs IAT's very near ambient atir temp. Find a C&L that can say the same.

+1, and try to beat Jay's customer service. It's nice having the maker of your CAI as a participating member on SVTP also, of course I'm slightly biased.....

MD03SVT

Established Member
There are many good CAI's out there and I prefer to go with the guy that bent over backwards to come up with excellent products before anyone else and stands behind his stuff 100%,I have tried other's but have used JLT's only in my last 5 stang's.

Willie2

Established Member
true story, i had a question about my JLT.....called them up and talked to Jay himself!

cobra1718

Established Member
I am not aware of anybody that sells intakes that have better service than JLT. I too have had 4 separate intakes on three different Stangs all bought from the fine folks at JLT. So my vote is for Carbon fiber intake it def looks the best of the two

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
I went with the JLT for all the reasons above. I had a C&L on my 03 Mach and it was the best for that application. But, I like the fact that the JLT (given the tight fit between the strut brace and coil cover) is not metal to metal if it touches during engine torque.

I like that it is lighter than the factory unit and the C&L. Every little bit helps here.

I kinda wish the silicon sleeve where it attaches to the throttle body was diagonal cut to fit a little better tho.

sprint200

Established Member
It's a simple decision.

My JLT runs IAT's very near ambient air temp. Find a C&L that can say the same.

I can "say the same". I have a C&L and on three consecutive pulls my charge air temp's averaged 108 F; inlet temps were in the mid 90's

They are both good products, I liked the heat shield on the C&L better. I believe it isolates the engine bay temp's from the intake air coming up from the fender more effectively.

mullens

Established Member
I have the JLT and love it, but I have to agree with sprint200. The hot IAT thing is a myth. Once you start pulling all those CFM's the under hood temps really don't have much effect on IAT.

I have to agree with the others about Jay's customer service. He answers the phone himself (not a machine) and is very helpful.

As far as SSChris's comment, that "home depot crap" is the overwhelming choice of the tuners and has powered 9 second cars...

Tucker

Where is the carbon fiber in Home Depot. What a clown comment.:kaboom:

Thanks for all the positive and constructive comments. :beer:
Were here for you and if you have any questions feel free to call anytime.
As stated, JLT's are on the most powerful GT500 in the country, we are on about 5% of the GT500 sold, we use materials that resist heat soak, not promote it and we do not isolate the filter for a reason. Datalog your IAT's when driving and see the temps drop. Now block that incoming air from the filter? Why?

I know I may be biased, but the C&L is not a good looking piece. My personal opinion.
We can't be on all the GT500's in the world, so if you choose C&L that's great. They make a good product.

As for Justins test. He tested several intakes all ending with in 1 RWHP of each other. That's the most messed up thing I have ever seen. I can't run the same car on the same dyno and get numbers that close. We have also had personal issues ever since I dropped him as a JLT dealer. Do you think he will paint JLT in a good light? Not a chance.
He's finding the newest Mustang forums that no one has heard of and posting his manure without paying vendor fees until he's asked to stop. He uses threads like that to promote his tuning, not give info about CAI's. It's a PR deal without paying. I do not back people like that.
We support the forums, it's members and are here to answer questions.

I will say you can't go wrong with either kit.

Thanks
Jay

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Where is the carbon fiber in Home Depot. What a clown comment.:kaboom:

Thanks for all the positive and constructive comments. :beer:
Were here for you and if you have any questions feel free to call anytime.
As stated, JLT's are on the most powerful GT500 in the country, we are on about 5% of the GT500 sold, we use materials that resist heat soak, not promote it and we do not isolate the filter for a reason. Datalog your IAT's when driving and see the temps drop. Now block that incoming air from the filter? Why?

I know I may be biased, but the C&L is not a good looking piece. My personal opinion.
We can't be on all the GT500's in the world, so if you choose C&L that's great. They make a good product.

As for Justins test. He tested several intakes all ending with in 1 RWHP of each other. That's the most messed up thing I have ever seen. I can't run the same car on the same dyno and get numbers that close. We have also had personal issues ever since I dropped him as a JLT dealer. Do you think he will paint JLT in a good light? Not a chance.
He's finding the newest Mustang forums that no one has heard of and posting his manure without paying vendor fees until he's asked to stop. He uses threads like that to promote his tuning, not give info about CAI's. It's a PR deal without paying. I do not back people like that.
We support the forums, it's members and are here to answer questions.

I will say you can't go wrong with either kit.

Thanks
Jay

I wouldn't let those losers bother you Jay, While they both may provide the same HP, C&L can't touch your CAI in the looks or cutomer service Dept. Mass produced plastic shit won't slow down your market......

Users who are viewing this thread