JLT : Learning Curve

Oceanedge

#488 of 4,055
Established Member
Just finished the JLT install..I've heard other happy customers talking about their car going through a learning curve with the new intake...How long does this take Aprox?....I'm going to take the car out for a drive tonight...how far do I need to go? :pepper: :banana: :beer:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
not so much how far, but how many key cycles.

id drive it for about a half hour, let the car get fully warm. Don't beat on it, but give it a few higher rpm runs with some half throttle.

then shut the car off and go get a snapple. let it sit for a few while you make sure all the hose clamps are tight, etc.

then give it another run, and drive it a bit harder.

let it cool overnight. The next day, beat the snot out of it.

consider it learned.

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
A friend that worked for the city repairing cop cars and work trucks said a good rule of thumb is 50 key turns. Not to say that cranking your car 50 times will allow the computer to recalibrate. Just that within that time span you should have driven the car enough for it to learn the new parameters.

Oceanedge

#488 of 4,055
Established Member
Thanks guys! Sounds like fun....If only the rest of life could be so easy..."Take out Cobra and Drive it"....problem solved...LOL....I appreciate the info!

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
quadcammer said:
50 key turns is a little excessive.

He was an older man that raced all his life and in is off time was a tech inspector at the local track in Memphis, TN. I'm sure he told us that because we were young and impatient. :-D

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
If you unplug the battery for 5 mins...and plug it back in, the car will be forced to correct its internal feedback loop (maf sensor to the 02s). Dont quite understand why its anymore complicated then that....

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I've had about 10 key turns since I installed my JLT. It's definitely picking up a bit more.

It's going to be a nice today so I drove the Cobra to work today. GOt on it this morning and she started to break the tires loose at around 4500 rpm. The car has never even thought about breaking the tires loose on a roll before.

JLT was well worth the money I paid for it IMHO.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
wals9331 said:
If you unplug the battery for 5 mins...and plug it back in, the car will be forced to correct its internal feedback loop (maf sensor to the 02s). Dont quite understand why its anymore complicated then that....
the car has to adjust the long term fuel trims due to the larger air flow.

Oceanedge

#488 of 4,055
Established Member
aaaahhhh...now we're getting somewhere! COuld be my imagination...but It certainly seems like a SOTP difference.....taking her to the dyno in the months to come...we'll see if I'm up from 304 HP.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
quadcammer said:
not so much how far, but how many key cycles.

id drive it for about a half hour, let the car get fully warm. Don't beat on it, but give it a few higher rpm runs with some half throttle.

then shut the car off and go get a snapple. let it sit for a few while you make sure all the hose clamps are tight, etc.

then give it another run, and drive it a bit harder.

let it cool overnight. The next day, beat the snot out of it.

consider it learned.

Snapple? They still make that stuff?

Oceanedge

#488 of 4,055
Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
Snapple? They still make that stuff?
Yes indeed....I followed their advice to a "Tea"...and enjoyed a nice Snapple while my engine cooled off..

Snapple Rox
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Jamie R.

Established Member
My '01's learning curve was at the track. Me and some friends put the JLT on and then ran the car at the track that weekend!! Ran pretty dang good with the JLT.

Jamie R.
'01 Cobra

Users who are viewing this thread