JLT intake , help me decide which one.

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
Hey guys need help on deciding which JLT intake to go with. I was thinking about going with the RAI , but really would like the cooler iat’s of the cold air kits. So I guess I am trying to decide between the normal cai, or the high boost. I currently I am running stock pulley, but going to be going to a 2.93 upper soon. Obviously doesn’t fall under “high boost” but like the fact it doesn’t have the MAF in the fendor. So is there any reason not to run the high boost CAI over the normal one.

MustangThief

Established Member
I'd recommend the RAI. I have a MAC CAI which is a fenderwell intake and I don't like it. From what I've read, only high HP applications take advantage of CAI setups. The RAI may have slightly higher idle temps, but once at speed, will draw about the same temps as the fenderwell versions.

I plan on switching my MAC CAI for a RAI.

JMO, I'm sure others will chime in.

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
What was the most difficult part regarding install on the CAI. How long did it take?

SmokinCobra420

Kush is good MmmKay!
Established Member
What are the reasons for not liking the CAI? I myself am tryin to decide on wich to get, im thinking the Carbon Fiber CAI, but i have a mystichrome, so maybe the painted version...Im worried about there being an issue of water getting in the fenderwell and then the filter getting ahold of some of that water....not good

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
get the RAI....much easier install, and like mentioned before...unless your planning on running a crap load of boost, you really don't need the CAI

Last edited:

MustangThief

Established Member
JedWele said:
I like the RAI my only concern is pulling in that hot underhood air

You're only going to be pulling hot air at a light/stop/whatever.

As soon as you start moving, you're going to be pulling barely hotter air than a fenderwell version.

Also, I wouldn't worry about a CAI drawing in water..... unless you plan on driving through floods.

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
I was thinking someone that had both did some data logging between the two (CAI &RAI) and the average temps were actually substantial at cruising speeds also. But I can’t find that old thread

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
JedWele said:
I was thinking someone that had both did some data logging between the two (CAI &RAI) and the average temps were actually substantial at cruising speeds also. But I can’t find that old thread

TTT.

I have the RAI and I love it. I have no complaints and can go on about how much I like it. But the cooler IAT temps of the CAI is has my attention. Plus, I'm going to be running a lot more boost, so a CAI or the High Boost Kit would be beneficial.

Anyone have a link to this thread that the OP is talking about?

SNAKE CHARM

Alcohol Fueled Brutality
Established Member
RAI, easy install, looks good and does the job, oh and did mention it sure made the Eaton scream.

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
Yeah I should probably not be a Pu$$y and just get the CAI , I think i was just dreading the install of it because everyone complains about it ,but how bad can it be......

Disturbance

B.N.4279 ~ B.D.12/11/02
Established Member
xenodragon said:
Pics of the two?

The RAI
IMG_0746.jpg

and the CAI
2001459322267080928_rs.jpg

SlowSVT

Established Member
I think you would be better off with the CAI which will give you colder, denser air which should make more power then a RAI and will buy you more ignition advance. I think the term RAI is a bit misleading since it really doesn't ram air in to your intake unless you remove the headlight and even that set-up won't be very efficient compared to a purpose built scoop. It gets very hot in that engine compartment and you will want the coldest air you can get into the engine.

If you drive in the rain you probably want the RAI system though. Me, I haven't seen a drop of the stuff in 8 months.

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
The only time you will be sucking hot air with the rai is at idle and very low speed driving. At cruise speed the fanwash and hot air is not a factor. On the dyno with the hood up is one thing, on the street with the hood down they will have near identical iat's.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Hah?

What do you mean by "near identical"?

How does the air temp stay identcal between the two when one is getting its air after it passes through an AC condensor, HE and the radiator while the other bypasses all that?

I would not be surprised on a 100 degree day at highway speeds there will be a 20-30 degree difference between a CIA and a RAI. As the car slow down the difference will get even greater.

Users who are viewing this thread