JLT CAI Testing with GPS Box

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
I didn't think I would get to do this until Saturday morning but I ended up getting it done this afternoon.

Just as a recap, I've used my GPS box to test my o/r h pipe, tune and k&n filter previously so this isn't a new procedure to me. My 93 Tune came in at 18-20 hp, the o/r h pipe was 14-16 hp, and a k&n filter was 0 hp.

The resolution of the GPS box makes it able to measure 5hp differentials, so if something is making less than that it could be hard to notice it but, anything making 15+ hp will easily be measured using this GPS box.

I was going to post graphs of each run (3 with and 3 without the JLT) but the graphs really don't provide any information that can't be provided by just listing the pertinent numbers for each run. If anyone would like to see the graphs (speed vs time also showing altitude) I can do that.

How the test was performed:

The test is very straight forward, I use 3rd gear (gear doesn't matter for anything other than having the best mph range that is easy on streets) and did pulls from 15 mph - 85 mph. This speed range takes me from around 1,500 rpm up to almost redline. Since I'm not looking for an absolute horsepower the gearing isn't important, plus the real world has friction and wind resistance etc that is going to really do a number to the reported hp so again absolute number isn't important, only the differential.

These pulls obviously wont experience traction problems and there isn't any shifting so driver variability isn't going to be a factor. The DA was observed for the JLT runs as well as the Stock Box runs (about 1 hr separated the runs) as well as any altitude change during the runs. The runs were made in the same corresponding locations but you still have to account for any elevation changes since that adds potential energy into the equation. I did my best to start the runs at the same locations but in reality it doesn't matter, all that needs to be accounted for is altitude variation and potential energy.

If you know the change in kinetic energy and the time for that change to occur you can calculate power, simple kinematics.

So here are the results!!!!

The JLT runs were done with a DA of 1231.

JLT run 1 was 180.70 hp
JLT run 2 was 181.97 hp
JLT run 3 was 184.04 hp

The standard deviation was 1.68 hp.

The Stock box runs were done with a DA of 942.

Box run 1 was 180.25 hp
Box run 2 was 183.30 hp
Box run 3 was 186.04 hp

The standard deviation was 2.87 hp.

After using the DA of the different runs and normalizing the power output the results were:

JLT average normalized hp = 180.42 hp

Stock box average normalized hp = 179.95 hp

The conclusions I draw from the results are fairly self explanatory, there doesn't appear to be any difference between a stock air box and a JLT intake. As far as tune I was running, my stock box tune was an email tune and my JLT tune was an email tune from the same tuner.

If anyone has questions about how these numbers were calculated more specifically I can scan in my scratch paper were I did all the math.

I'd like to thank WBT for shipping this to me. I haven't bought a CAI because I seriously doubted they would make anywhere close to the claimed power and the chance to test this without it costing me any more than shipping the JLT back to WBT was too much to pass up.

I didn't expect any performance gains and this pretty much confirms that. Supposedly I should have noticed just as much of a difference with the JLT as I did with my o/r h pipe and well.... that wasn't even close to the case.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Getting tired of these threads. There are other CAI's out there and don't seem to be under the same scrutiny as JLT.

wbt

Banned
Getting tired of these threads. There are other CAI's out there and don't seem to be under the same scrutiny as JLT.

Bullshit. I invite everone to read the threads at modularfords. We have tested the Airaid, brand "J", Steeda, stock and next is the Roush.

Everyone knew about this upcoming test along with the Texas Mile and dragstrip.

Is this a forum for the community or for the vendors? Is this site going to sweep these results under the rug to protect a paid sponsor?

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Bullshit. I invite everone to read the threads at modularfords. We have tested the Airaid, brand "J", Steeda, stock and next is the Roush.

Everyone knew about this upcoming test along with the Texas Mile and dragstrip.

Is this a forum for the community or for the vendors? Is this site going to sweep these results under the rug to protect a paid sponsor?

I have seen nothing but a bash against JLT on this site. I don't care what you post on Modular Fords. I am not sweeping anything but growing tired of these type of threads.

I thought you don't like this site? Seems odd, as you replied within minutes!

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member

I'm really confused by this response.

First, four people planned to do independent testing of the CAI over the past month or so. I'm pretty sure the expectation was that each person would post the results once they had performed their tests.

Second, I'm perfectly willing to test any CAI on the market with my procedure. The JLT was tested because that is what was being discussed and what someone was willing to ship me. If anyone is willing to ship any CAI I'd be more than happy to perform the same procedure and pay the shipping back just like I'm doing with wbt's JLT.

Third, it is very disconcerting that testing aftermarket parts is apparently frowned upon by some here. It seems only natural that if a debate popped up regarding a specific part and several people were willing to put their time and effort into testing it for the community that would be looked at as beneficial instead of looked at as annoying and meddlesome.

Just to re-iterate, if anyone wants to ship any CAI I'd be more than happy to test them all.

shb5007

Established Member

First, four people planned to do independent testing of the CAI over the past month or so. I'm pretty sure the expectation was that each person would post the results once they had performed their tests.

Second, I'm perfectly willing to test any CAI on the market with my procedure. The JLT was tested because that is what was being discussed and what someone was willing to ship me. If anyone is willing to ship any CAI I'd be more than happy to perform the same procedure and pay the shipping back just like I'm doing with wbt's JLT.

Third, it is very disconcerting that testing aftermarket parts is apparently frowned upon by some here. It seems only natural that if a debate popped up regarding a specific part and several people were willing to put their time and effort into testing it for the community that would be looked at as beneficial instead of looked at as annoying and meddlesome.

Just to re-iterate, if anyone wants to ship any CAI I'd be more than happy to test them all.

Because your test methods seem so..."state-of-the-art" :dw:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator

The testing is not frowned upon, but clearly the JLT kit has been under fire for some time now. Over the past few months, no other kit has been compared, tested, dyno'd .... etc.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
Because your test methods seem so..."state-of-the-art" :dw:

The test procedure is simple kinematics, nothing fancy or difficult to understand using the same type of equipment that magazines use when they test cars.

By all means point out any deficiencies that you see. :shrug:

And just to re-iterate, I've tested all my mods with this procedure and gotten very good measurements.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
The testing is not frowned upon, but clearly the JLT kit has been under fire for some time now. Over the past few months, no other kit has been compared, tested, dyno'd .... etc.

True, the JLT has been the specific CAI in the discussions, perhaps because more people have it than others?

Again, anyone that wants to ship any CAI to me, I'll test. WBT shipped me a JLT, so that is what I tested.

You can look back to when I first started actively posting on this forum, I've done this procedure on all my previous mods, I'm not "out to get" JLT.

02reaper

Established Member

Maybe you should read the threads on a forum where you know for sure things haven't been censored. There seems to be more protection for sponsors over here than in some other places. Not saying that it has been done over here during all this, but you wonder. I'm all for someone sharing their experiences on whatever part they want to. That's is what I understood a technical forum to be. The thing is, if you don't like to read it, then you have the option not to go into the thread, so why bitch about it?

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Maybe you should read the threads on a forum where you know for sure things haven't been censored. There seems to be more protection for sponsors over here than in some other places. Not saying that it has been done over here during all this, but you wonder. I'm all for someone sharing their experiences on whatever part they want to. That's is what I understood a technical forum to be. The thing is, if you don't like to read it, then you have the option not to go into the thread, so why bitch about it?

Because I read every thread. :D

wbt

Banned
I have seen nothing but a bash against JLT on this site. I don't care what you post on Modular Fords. I am not sweeping anything but growing tired of these type of threads.

I thought you don't like this site? Seems odd, as you replied within minutes!

Correct for reasons stated and as I sat down for the evening, I saw your post which was absolutely incorrect and needed to be addressed with the correct information. :bash:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Correct for reasons stated and as I sat down for the evening, I saw your post which was absolutely incorrect and needed to be addressed with the correct information. :bash:

What is incorrect? On this site, you and others have done nothing but bash JLT. You have not done this to Steeda, Roush, Airaid.... etc.

02reaper

Established Member
Because I read every thread. :D

Yeah, I realized you were a moderator after I posted all of that. That's what you have to do, so I understand where you are coming from. I think it's more focused on JLT at this point because he is the only one out of the others tested defending his product to death. It appears that all aftermarket CAI's tested so far are doing the same though, just some more than others.

wbt

Banned
What is incorrect? On this site, you and others have done nothing but bash JLT. You have not done this to Steeda, Roush, Airaid.... etc.

You said:
There are other CAI's out there and don't seem to be under the same scrutiny as JLT.

You mentioned nothing stating this site specifically. Twist it into what you may.

kdanner

Banned

Yes, I stopped posting much of a technical nature here and started putting it elsewhere and you certainly know it includes product from multiple manufacturers. I did this because I felt that Jay was being protected by this forum's management. Now just today it was revealed by the modularfords management that Jay attempted to blackmail them into censorship. Thankfully his blackmail was not tolerated over there. Your current attitude certainly makes me wonder if the same is being done here however.

Users who are viewing this thread