JLT CAI/SCT tune question(s)

QtrFlsh

Established Member
First of all, I ordered the kit from Lethal! Great service, as we all know! I have a stock (except suspension and 3:73s) 2007 GT500. I am the only owner, and decided to get a little engine stuff going...Got the JLT and SCT tuner with the Lund tune for 91 octane. Got it installed, and right off, there is no way in heck I'll be able to put the FRPP strut tower brace back on-I assume the stock one will still fit?
While driving around after the tune installed, I noticed that at about 60mph-in 6th- at a slow roll into the throttle, CLATTER (detonation city)!! Clatter about 1/3 throttle and perhaps at boost...got right off it and cruised back to the house and pulled 6 degrees out of the 0-2000 and 2-4000 rpm ranges. Seemed to fix the 60 and above throttle progression. Still have a little clatter under 2000 whille slowly rolling on at speeds under 60 in 5th and 6th gear. I don't lug the car and usually give her a downshift, but its like at 1/4 or constant throttle to 1/2 throttle it seems a little aggressive on the timing?? I pulled another 6 degrees out from 0-2000....lost the throttle response, but at least its not clattering!
Going to try to dyno next week to get the AFR verified. I don't really want to run octane boost every tank.
Could a lean condition cause that much detonation? I dont think this tuner (SCT X3) can data log the O2 sensors like my diablo, so right now I don't have any idea where the AFR's are at.

Thanks for any help!

91svtbird

Established Member
Most likely a timing issue related to the tune. May even be due to MAf transfer functions being incorrect for that MAF.....I've seen it before...just sayin...

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Not saying this is it; but noticed your location (OK) and wanted to mention it.

Did you get fresh fuel in the car if you had it stored for the winter? You didn't just pull it out after 2-3 months; install parts/tune and then have the issues did you?

You're lucky if pump fuel is on spec and I it drops around 1-point of octane per month.

So, just saying maybe fill up with a name brand premium if you're still running around on your old winter fuel.

:beer:

Kostas

Established Member
First of all, I ordered the kit from Lethal! Great service, as we all know! I have a stock (except suspension and 3:73s) 2007 GT500. I am the only owner, and decided to get a little engine stuff going...Got the JLT and SCT tuner with the Lund tune for 91 octane. Got it installed, and right off, there is no way in heck I'll be able to put the FRPP strut tower brace back on-I assume the stock one will still fit?
While driving around after the tune installed, I noticed that at about 60mph-in 6th- at a slow roll into the throttle, CLATTER (detonation city)!! Clatter about 1/3 throttle and perhaps at boost...got right off it and cruised back to the house and pulled 6 degrees out of the 0-2000 and 2-4000 rpm ranges. Seemed to fix the 60 and above throttle progression. Still have a little clatter under 2000 whille slowly rolling on at speeds under 60 in 5th and 6th gear. I don't lug the car and usually give her a downshift, but its like at 1/4 or constant throttle to 1/2 throttle it seems a little aggressive on the timing?? I pulled another 6 degrees out from 0-2000....lost the throttle response, but at least its not clattering!
Going to try to dyno next week to get the AFR verified. I don't really want to run octane boost every tank.
Could a lean condition cause that much detonation? I dont think this tuner (SCT X3) can data log the O2 sensors like my diablo, so right now I don't have any idea where the AFR's are at.

Thanks for any help!

Thank you for clarifying that for us! If you had bought this kit form "other vendors" not only you would be labeled with a certain title, but also you would have been flamed upon for your choice!

Now as far as your problem, i dont think you should be messing with the tune at all. Get on the phone and im sure the guys at Lethal will be able to help you. I have met Jared and he is a cool and helpfull guy.
Like others have mentioned, fill up with good fuel, check your plugs, and in the future i would recomend, everytime you mod the car for more power, and a retune is required, get it dynotuned if possible! JMO Good luck!

QtrFlsh

Established Member
Thanks for the reply's guys! When I get great customer service, such as that from Lethal, I think its cool to let everyone know! I have bought some suspension from another vendor on here-not real positive service...

I am going to go down this morning and top off the tank with some 101 unleaded. Its about half full right now, so hopefuly it'll give me back some octane points. I never use 10% ethanol blend as power seems to receed a little, but my gas may be a little older than I first thought. mblgjr is probably right on, its been a long cold winter here in Oklahoma (by our standards), so there haven't been many days to get her out and play. Plus last night, it was about 50 degrees and the baro was almost 30 inches...I do try to put in fresh fuel from a good source, but it could be getting a little weak.
I'll definately call Lethal monday and get their opinion anyways!! Seems like i once read that you can advance timing (as a general rule) one degree per 2 octane points?? If that holds, the 6 degrees I pulled out would make the current octane in the low 80 high 70 point range? no way to test the fuel, so hopefully it'll allow me to go to the original tune and get back to the power!!!

Tucker

6 degrees of timing is a ton, so now your down on power.
Call Lethal Monday and get a revised tune.

BTW, thanks for choosing JLT!

It could just be bad gas and a tune that is slightly off. No big deal and easy to fix.

Have fun
Jay

Kostas

Established Member
6 degrees of timing is a ton, so now your down on power.
Call Lethal Monday and get a revised tune.

BTW, thanks for choosing JLT!

It could just be bad gas and a tune that is slightly off. No big deal and easy to fix.

Have fun
Jay

Dont forget the additional 6 degrees from 0-2000!!! and on top of that on a mostly stock engine with Ford's conservative tune :nonono:

mullens

Established Member
I had the same problem, not to that extent but still heard the knock at WOT. It was a combination of the crap 91 fuel out here and E-10 winter blend. These cars don't like E-10.

QtrFlsh

Established Member
Update

Went and filled my tank with 101 octane unleaded-I had 1/2 a tank and could only get just under 6 gallons in. I also data logged spark and engine load on the way. As best I can tell, with the timing I pulled out, accelerating from 55 to 65 in 6th (.3 load to about 1.0) it was using about 19to 20.5 degrees. Continuting on to WOT, it ended up running between 15 and 16 degrees-this was all in 6th gear. I pulled over and put all the program back to the way it came (added 12 degrees back in to 0-2000 and added 6 degrees back into 2-4000). With a similar atmoshpere to Friday, I couldn't hear any knocking while repeating the same tests! Don't know now if i had some old gas and the race fuel helped, or good gas and the timing is still a little hot?! I am going to do a few more WOT and launch tests with my G-Tech this afternoon (while data logging) so I can provide more quality information when I talk to the guys at Lethal tomorrow!!
And try to see if my stock strut tower brace will fit back on!!

Thanks everybody

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Side note: Your JLT intake should have come with two, small, flat spacers that fit under the footings of the stock STB. Those should allow enough clearance with the intake installed for everything to fit safely.

mullens

Established Member
Went and filled my tank with 101 octane unleaded-I had 1/2 a tank and could only get just under 6 gallons in. I also data logged spark and engine load on the way. As best I can tell, with the timing I pulled out, accelerating from 55 to 65 in 6th (.3 load to about 1.0) it was using about 19to 20.5 degrees. Continuting on to WOT, it ended up running between 15 and 16 degrees-this was all in 6th gear. I pulled over and put all the program back to the way it came (added 12 degrees back in to 0-2000 and added 6 degrees back into 2-4000). With a similar atmoshpere to Friday, I couldn't hear any knocking while repeating the same tests! Don't know now if i had some old gas and the race fuel helped, or good gas and the timing is still a little hot?! I am going to do a few more WOT and launch tests with my G-Tech this afternoon (while data logging) so I can provide more quality information when I talk to the guys at Lethal tomorrow!!
And try to see if my stock strut tower brace will fit back on!!

Thanks everybody
I'd bet it's the race fuel. These engines are so sensitive to fuel it's sickening. I did the octane adjust on my pro cal and the problem disappeared.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Have you considered checking for a leak of "un-metered" air? Check the boots. Also, over-tightening can crack the CF, so be careful!

Last edited:

TexasShelby

Established Member
Here is a little chart that helped me when mixing fuel I thought I'd post.

OctaneMixingChart.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread