JLT CAI for Roush TVS

by9468840

Established Member
guys
a shop is offering 15% off on JLT products tomorrow.
I've been reading a lot about either adding Roush CAI or a JLT CAI to my Roush TVS setup. I read a lot about JLT fitment issues which now seem to be ok since they added a stop at the end of the tube for the filter and a screen inside the filters. is this true? does anyone still have tune/stall issues? or have their filters still pushed off the edge of the tube?

It is so tempting to pay just about $290 for a JLT plastic CAI vs $500+ for a ROUSH CAI. I just wanted to ask for your opinion before i pull the trigger on JLT tomorrow,

nonliberal

Established Member
I have read about fitment issues with the JLT but I havn't had any issues. I put mine on about 6 months ago and thats where it's been since.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
From what Ive seen in person the issue on the tvs cars is the heat shield is somewhat pushing the filter off on the bottom.

SC_Terminator

Used to own a Boss
Established Member
mine kept popping off every few days....you are correct, the shield pops it off after some spirited driving....

my fix was the old bicycle handle bar grip fix..... I took some of my wife's hairspray and sprayed a small amount on the inner lip of the filter, put it on and tightened it down....

2 weeks now with no more pop off.....

word of advice though....DON'T USE YOUR WIFE'S GOOD HAIRSPRAY....she doesn't like that too much....

burke985

Established Member
Buy the roush im probably going to do the same. Might as well buy the one that is guaranteed to work

Last edited:

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
The lip on the inside of the filter fixes one of the issues, but like stated already, the lower air dam pushes the filter off the pipe. I've tried all different tricks and they didn't work. I'm not gonna do the hairspray thing, I don't think that's what it should take to keep it in place. Then what, have to clean it all off the filter/pipe if I need to do any work that requires taking the filter off. Buy the roush!

zachcrosen

Established Member
From what Ive seen in person the issue on the tvs cars is the heat shield is somewhat pushing the filter off on the bottom.

Thats the problem I have with mine too. My fix was to NOT install the single screw that mounts into the fender well. The shield is still secured by the stock CAI inlet and that is all. I could dremel it but its all good.

NickSezz

Established Member
The JLT intakes are no where as OEM as the Roush but they do have an advantage. The JLT is 123mm or 127mm for the CF version. These will support higher horsepower numbers by extending the range of the factory MAF sensor (the Roush is only 113mm).

My choice for maximum power would be the JLT.

Fit and finish goes to Roush.

I have the JLT (newest design) on my Whipple car and the only issue is having to trim the radiator cover so the end of the filter does not rub on it. The filter also slightly hit the heat shield on the hood leaving a mark on the tip of the filter and hood shield. These were minor things to me other wise the intake performs well.

The revisions JLT made to the kit dramatically helped keep the filter on. Make sure you clean the oily residue off of the parts before installation and keep those clamps tight.

If anyone needs JLT intakes or the Roush kit let me know! PM for pricing.

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
Weird, didn't have any issues with mine coming loose. Makes me feel bad, but I didn't install mine. Had a Ford dealer install it, along with the Roush TVS while I was out of the country.

NoVA_Mike

Established Member
Weird, didn't have any issues with mine coming loose. Makes me feel bad, but I didn't install mine. Had a Ford dealer install it, along with the Roush TVS while I was out of the country.

Don't feel bad... your car is the one that blew up.

Former 47-D pilot ---> :poke: <---Young 60 Pilot

Just kidding! I'm going to go sacrifice a chicken so this comment doesn't come back to bite me. . .

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Roush by far has a better fit and finish. only issue will be you will max it out around the mid to upper 600s. you could always go with the 123 CJ maf for more power past that. my vote the Roush

JJ 10.88 Coyote

Established Member
We installed a VMP TVS kit a few months ago and it came with the JLT CAI. Not only did we have fitment issues but we also had to use our own larger silicone adaptor with T clamps to make it fit better, not perfect but better and when I contacted JLT about these issues Jay blamed it on VMP's inlet elbow.

If there has been a subsequent "fix" for this fitment that's good to hear, but I would still go with the Roush IMHO.

JJ

spdracr0

Established Member
My talking to JLT on the phone has led me to find an alternative route to an unrestricted inlet. They did not want to hear the problems I had nor did they want to provide solutions. They would not even answer the couple of technical questions I had which may have made the whole situation a nonissue. Some of the worst service and experience I have had in a long time.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
My talking to JLT on the phone has led me to find an alternative route to an unrestricted inlet. They did not want to hear the problems I had nor did they want to provide solutions. They would not even answer the couple of technical questions I had which may have made the whole situation a nonissue. Some of the worst service and experience I have had in a long time.

This is troubling, Jay's a good guy. Maybe JLT will weigh in on this??

hand-filer

Established Member
Buy the Roush. No micky mouse fixes required. It fits and it works and it looks pretty good to boot.

Boss3oh2

I've never had any issues with the JLT CAI fitting my whipple. Keep in mind the Roush is only 110mm where as the JLT is 123-127 which will increase boost a tad.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I've never had any issues with the JLT CAI fitting my whipple. Keep in mind the Roush is only 110mm where as the JLT is 123-127 which will increase boost a tad.

you must of been lucky I have personally seen fitment issues with a JLT 127mm kit on a whipple 2.9 install on a 2013 boss.

Users who are viewing this thread