jlp ram air tube + jlp box?

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
Ok, quick newb question, does the jlp ram air attachment that comes with the jlp ram air intake go through the fender out the side of the intake or where does it attach? I ordered the ram air tube and scoop from someone and ordered the regular jlp box intake and wanted to put them together but thought, for some reason, the tube would attach from the bottom but it doesnt look like thats how its gonna work, i dont see how it would fit. any help? anyone have pics of the ram air installed? if this does in fact attach into the fender could I potentially have two ram air hoses hooked up?

203Cree

Established Member
I dunno if the standard box has the same holes. Mine has the fender hole and a cutout in the bottom for the tube to attach to. Id take pictures, but I don't have my truck at the moment.

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
203Cree said:
I dunno if the standard box has the same holes. Mine has the fender hole and a cutout in the bottom for the tube to attach to. Id take pictures, but I don't have my truck at the moment.
yeah, there is a hole coming off the bottom of the box I have and just looking, if it is gonna fit, it would be a hella tight squeeze. does the scoop go below the fan? I dont even see where itd fit or if I just wasted $45 bucks...which would piss me off cause people on here said this would work. If the tube wont work I know I can at least use the scoop and hanger and just need a hose, but I coulda gotten that for 17 bucks...

203Cree

Established Member
You need the tube, a hose, and the scoop. It all runs down the inside of the fender . Do a search on it and I'm sure you'll find some pics of someone's setup.

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
ive found pics of the scoop hanging out the bottom, but nothing showing where it runs nor where it attaches. what kinda hose is acceptable to use? just looking at the piece, I dont see how the crap its gonna fit anywhere and its so heavy I dont see how attaching a hose to it and connecting it to the intake is going to be good.

203Cree

Established Member
It's 3 in tubing, about 23-24 in long. That runs down from you intake into the metal elbow, which then mounts to the scoop. It all fits pretty securely once it's all together.

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
ok, where is a good place to get this tubing? also, is it possible, or would it be inefficient, to add another hose and scoop to the downward flange on the bottom of the intake also? I'm starting to see more how this works, its just that the stuff I got doesnt look like that stuff, mine is a solid "S" shaped piece of metal tubing attached to the scoop, I'll assume its the same shape, I just havent seen anything pic wise beyond the scoop attached and the tube going upward. Do you have to cut a hole for it to go through? thats kinda what I'd like a pic of if anyone has one. Id really appreciate it!

airtroop01

Established Member
Maybe this pic might help you conceptualize it...
I got this from nloc from svtsilverback.. since I don't have pics of mine.
However I've got a lot of pics from people as I had trouble mounting mine
with the AFCO/LFP HE in the way..

IMG_0838.gif

203Cree

Established Member
White Whine said:
ok, where is a good place to get this tubing? also, is it possible, or would it be inefficient, to add another hose and scoop to the downward flange on the bottom of the intake also? I'm starting to see more how this works, its just that the stuff I got doesnt look like that stuff, mine is a solid "S" shaped piece of metal tubing attached to the scoop, I'll assume its the same shape, I just havent seen anything pic wise beyond the scoop attached and the tube going upward. Do you have to cut a hole for it to go through? thats kinda what I'd like a pic of if anyone has one. Id really appreciate it!

I think you're getting a little confused. The hole in the side just runs over to the fender. The hole in the bottom is the only one you need to hook the hose up to. And Home Depot has that tubing.

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
203Cree said:
I think you're getting a little confused. The hole in the side just runs over to the fender. The hole in the bottom is the only one you need to hook the hose up to. And Home Depot has that tubing.
I see...sorta, so it is, in fact, the lower opening that I will be attaching the ram air hose to, not the fender opening. check. which brings me back to my initial confusion, where does this pipe go up? Do I have to cut anything or is there a space I'm just not seeing from above but can see below? will any hose do from home depot or do I need to choose one with a high heat tolerance?

203Cree

Established Member
You'll have to take that inner fender skirt off, the one in the wheel well. Once you do that, you will see the space that the hose runs down. And a heat tolerance wouldn't hurt anything, but I don't think that the hose that's originally sent in the kit is anything special, so take that for what it's worth.

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
203Cree said:
You'll have to take that inner fender skirt off, the one in the wheel well. Once you do that, you will see the space that the hose runs down. And a heat tolerance wouldn't hurt anything, but I don't think that the hose that's originally sent in the kit is anything special, so take that for what it's worth.
is there a good way to take it off? how can I avoid damaging the plastic push screw dealies?

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
thanks for the link, is it a typo on the page where it says 3"x6" hose then the next product is 3"x10'? is the outlet hole 3" on the intake or is it a little smaller? I didnt actually measure it.

STL Lightning

Established Member
White Whine said:
thanks for the link, is it a typo on the page where it says 3"x6" hose then the next product is 3"x10'? is the outlet hole 3" on the intake or is it a little smaller? I didnt actually measure it.

The 3" x 10' is enough to do a couple trucks if you have a friend with the same setup.

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
STL Lightning said:
The 3" x 10' is enough to do a couple trucks if you have a friend with the same setup.
right, but is the 3"x6" really supposed to be 3"x6'? hmm, wait, probably not cause isnt it only a buck fifty? they have this stuff at home depot anyway, I'll go check it out. how much do I need? two feet?

STL Lightning

Established Member
White Whine said:
right, but is the 3"x6" really supposed to be 3"x6'? hmm, wait, probably not cause isnt it only a buck fifty? they have this stuff at home depot anyway, I'll go check it out. how much do I need? two feet?

I have never seen this stuff at my local home depot.. This is basically shop vac hose, but home depot has only 2 1/2" I believe. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread