JET Shift Commander

Stanger00

Established Member
Looks like it can do what SCT already does.

If you're looking for something to control the shifts better. Then you should take a look at the bauman controller with harness for the 4r transmissions.

The other idea is to get a manual valve body from Freddie brown.

Adiabatik

Banned
Looks like it can do what SCT already does.

If you're looking for something to control the shifts better. Then you should take a look at the bauman controller with harness for the 4r transmissions.

The other idea is to get a manual valve body from Freddie brown.

The only thing I like about this is the ability to change shift programs on the fly. Stock settings for daily driving and race settings to lay the smackdown and the track :shrug:

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
The only thing I like about this is the ability to change shift programs on the fly. Stock settings for daily driving and race settings to lay the smackdown and the track :shrug:

If you didn't eat so much subway you could drive a manual :p

I usually just put it in R for Race anyways! Lol

Last edited:

Stanger00

Established Member

Mine shifts like a stock auto in normal driving and then shifts hard when WOT. No need for multiple auto programs. Now if it can only shift on time when I get a little wheel spin.

spike_africa

Established Member
Noooo, stay away from those. You don't want to crank line pressure to make the tranny shift harder. You want to use the Jmod which is a simple DIY modification of the stock valve body in your car. Trust me I blew my first and 2nd 4r70w from cranking the line pressure up. The valve body mod is what I should of done the first time on my F150.

Instructions here:
"J-MOD" - AODE/4R70W transmission upgrade tech

Artical pages by the guy who helped design it:
TCCoA Tech Articles

Adiabatik

Banned
If you didn't eat so much subway you could drive a manual

I can drive a manual just fine :)

Noooo, stay away from those. You don't want to crank line pressure to make the tranny shift harder. You want to use the Jmod which is a simple DIY modification of the stock valve body in your car. Trust me I blew my first and 2nd 4r70w from cranking the line pressure up. The valve body mod is what I should of done the first time on my F150.

Instructions here:
"J-MOD" - AODE/4R70W transmission upgrade tech

Artical pages by the guy who helped design it:
TCCoA Tech Articles

Have you driven a 4R that's been tuned by an SCT? I wonder how tune compares to the jmod

spike_africa

Established Member
Yes mine was with SCT. The Jmod is the correct way to mod the 4r70w. Read the articals, the guy who designed the tranny says this is how its supposed to operate and his mod fixes it.

Stanger00

Established Member
You running a stock un modded valve body on your 4r?

IIRC you have a built motor but your transmission is still stock. I advise getting your valve body the J-Mod as soon as you can. My stock trans started missing WOT shifts with only 400 hp after a few thousand miles and that was with SCT tune.

The J-Mod allows fluid to flow more volume without having to up the pressure. This results in stock like part throttle shifts and very firm shifts at WOT.

Stanger00

Established Member
I've ridden in a B&M shift kit 4r and it was a neck breaking shift all the time part throttle or fill throttle. The j mod only shifts hard at WOT and smooth at part throttle. I love hint the j mod is cheaper as well. Not sure mine was modded by Darrin who used to build a these things.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
The bauman controler has an option for a 2nd program switch. You could a have a street and strip/nitrous or whatever program. I am gonna use the bauman with a 4R70 being built for my car. Even in one program you can set part and full throttle.

Adiabatik

Banned
I've ridden in a B&M shift kit 4r and it was a neck breaking shift all the time part throttle or fill throttle. The j mod only shifts hard at WOT and smooth at part throttle. I love hint the j mod is cheaper as well. Not sure mine was modded by Darrin who used to build a these things.

Do you happen to know how many actuator springs were left in or were they all removed. According to TCCoA articles, all actuator springs are to be removed. Im finding a few people say that the transmission was too harsh even at part throttle so they reinstalled a spring.

Stanger00

Established Member
Do you happen to know how many actuator springs were left in or were they all removed. According to TCCoA articles, all actuator springs are to be removed. Im finding a few people say that the transmission was too harsh even at part throttle so they reinstalled a spring.

I don't know that information. One of my old roommates did it and after a few hundred miles his transmission broke at the track. This was probably in 2005 time frame.

Call up Freddie brown and buy a manual valve body. Especially if you plan on upping power to 600. It's on my list. I'm tired of the ECU not making shifts on time. The rpms climb too fast for the ECU to keep up. Shifts are commanded at 5800 Rev limit is at 6800 and I bump the limiter on the 1-2 and 2-3. The 2-3 is intermittent but still annoying.

Last edited:

spike_africa

Established Member
If you are worried about doing this yourself, and I know it seems intimidating. There are many vendors that sell nice modded valve bodys. However if you spend the time to do the research on the J-mod it is not a big deal and easy to do.

Users who are viewing this thread