Jersey Emissions Testing > In here

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I figure theirs enough pullied eaton, kenne bell, whipple and turbo cobras and lightnings running around jersey that someone has a sensible way to get around NJ emissions.

Here is my dilemma. Right now I have a can tune on my marauder that I know will not pass NJ emissions, I know this because a friend of mine failed with the same tune. Back in 09 I passed no problems, I don't know what it is about jerseys testings now but I know a lot of people have had problems. I just put the stock tune back on my car so I can hopefully pass at the end of this week.

This summer, I plan to do an eaton swap, so going back to stock will never be an option again. I was going to talk to the guy that will eventually do my dyno tune (Performance evolution in Delaware) about coming up with an emissions friendly tune that I could use to pass when I have to. I assume this means I'll need to keep my EGR.

So, jersey guys, chime in, what do you do to pass the new emissions that have been in place since 2010? Any of you running EGR deletes and still passing?

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
It's getting harder to get around lately. My brother can't get his notch passed. Car has been sitting for months now.

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
Is the Marauder is serialized car? If so, get yourself a NJ collector car registration and never worry about inspection again. That's what I did.

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
It's getting harder to get around lately. My brother can't get his notch passed. Car has been sitting for months now.

Mike,

Has he thought about taking it to a private facility where he can get it passed with a "cash talks" policy? He can definitely pass that way.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Is the Marauder is serialized car? If so, get yourself a NJ collector car registration and never worry about inspection again. That's what I did.

Not so much like the cobras are. I did buy a build certificate from ford. I could MAYBE do this, but yet again I'd have a limit of 3000 miles a year which would kinda suck. If it really gets this bad ill look into it. I have a friend that used to have a supercharged marauder and couldnt get it to pass due to a sct chip that was in the PCM, I believe he successfully got it registered as a collectors car but im not 100% positive if he ever pulled it off or not.

Mike,

Has he thought about taking it to a private facility where he can get it passed with a "cash talks" policy? He can definitely pass that way.

I actually tried this.. I went to my shop in town and he said the inspections are so stupid now, he has to log into the state computer and even verify who he is with his thumbprint. He also said he cant bypass or alter any readings anymore :(

95PGTTech

Established Member
In NJ, if you have a CEL on, you fail.
If you have more than one emissions related feedback come as "Not Ready", you fail. Examples would be the EGR, EVAP, rear 02s, etc.

Other than the insurance, there is little you can do to bypass it anymore.

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
In NJ, if you have a CEL on, you fail.
If you have more than one emissions related feedback come as "Not Ready", you fail. Examples would be the EGR, EVAP, rear 02s, etc.

Other than the insurance, there is little you can do to bypass it anymore.

There is a lot of private facilities that will still "pass" you even if your car is not up to standards.... Anything prior to a 2000MY build date can have two readiness monitors listed as "not ready" Anything 2000 and newer is only allowed one.

Not so much like the cobras are. I did buy a build certificate from ford. I could MAYBE do this, but yet again I'd have a limit of 3000 miles a year which would kinda suck. If it really gets this bad ill look into it. I have a friend that used to have a supercharged marauder and couldnt get it to pass due to a sct chip that was in the PCM, I believe he successfully got it registered as a collectors car but im not 100% positive if he ever pulled it off or not.

I actually tried this.. I went to my shop in town and he said the inspections are so stupid now, he has to log into the state computer and even verify who he is with his thumbprint. He also said he cant bypass or alter any readings anymore :(

You should be able to get a tune from a reputable tuner that can allow you to pass inspection. I wouldn't daily drive on it of course, but it should be close enough that you can log the 40-50 miles to allow your readiness monitors to "ready". Since there is no visual inspection in NJ, they would not even know you had a blower.

Of course, like stated above their is still private facilities out their who will pass a car no matter what. It is harder for an OBD2 car but it can be done.

jrd699

All men not created equal
Established Member
In NYS I deal with this everyday... Get yourself a cheap handheld, clear codes. I drive with scanner plugged in,keep checking monitors. you can have one pending code and one inc. key is once code goes pending DO NOT SHUT CAR OFF! tell your inspector be ready when u pull in, plug her in, and she should go.. I drive cars to get emissions to pass every single day!

Last edited:

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Mike,

I had 2 shops that used to do it for $125. One guy got in trouble last year and won't do it anymore. The other guy stopped too so he doesn't get in trouble. My car passes no problem, but feel bad for my brother. If you know of a place, PM me. Thanks.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
There is a lot of private facilities that will still "pass" you even if your car is not up to standards.... Anything prior to a 2000MY build date can have two readiness monitors listed as "not ready" Anything 2000 and newer is only allowed one.

You should be able to get a tune from a reputable tuner that can allow you to pass inspection. I wouldn't daily drive on it of course, but it should be close enough that you can log the 40-50 miles to allow your readiness monitors to "ready". Since there is no visual inspection in NJ, they would not even know you had a blower.

Of course, like stated above their is still private facilities out their who will pass a car no matter what. It is harder for an OBD2 car but it can be done.

The shop we go to in town used to pass my brothers charger with a diablosport and 20% tint, but I asked him about this and he said he has no control over anything anymore and can't mess with whatever comes up with as "not ready". I am going to ask the tuner that will do my car about coming up with a tune which has all the emissions stuff on. I was talking to a friend with a 04 crown vic today, he runs a set of catless midpipes and he said with the MIL's and a tune which has all the emissions stuff turned on, he got through the current inspection no problem. On my car I have to log 150 miles before all the emissions stuff catches up, so I'd have to make sure its a good enough tune that I could drive around on without blowing something up.

In NYS I deal with this everyday... Get yourself a cheap handheld, clear codes. I drive with scanner plugged in,keep checking monitors. you can have one pending code and one inc. key is once code goes pending DO NOT SHUT CAR OFF! tell your inspector be ready when u pull in, plug her in, and she should go.. I drive cars to get emissions to pass every single day!

Problem with that would be, in the MVC line they turn the cars on/off all the time, so if I had to keep the car on for it to work, I'd be screwed right when I pull up and they turn the car off lol

I had 2 shops that used to do it for $125. One guy got in trouble last year and won't do it anymore. The other guy stopped too so he doesn't get in trouble. My car passes no problem, but feel bad for my brother. If you know of a place, PM me. Thanks.

Curious, whats wrong with your brothers car that it can't pass?

jrd699

All men not created equal
Established Member
Oh shoot in NY u bring to independent garage.. Wish u were closer I'd get it done in 3 hours tops!

ihatepotholes

Established Member
My friend passed without cats. Nj inspections are easier to pass nowadays. They don't even check emission. As long as there isn't cel you are golden. Use anti fouler

gamebred26

Established Member
you cant have a CEL but you also cant have more than like 2 not readys ( ie turned off in your tune) think you are allowed 1 or 2 maybe. but my car passes legit. no cats. but has everything else on.

also dont flash it right before you go. you need time to drive so all the codes come up ready. takes a while you can check it with the obd2 scanners.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
you cant have a CEL but you also cant have more than like 2 not readys ( ie turned off in your tune) think you are allowed 1 or 2 maybe. but my car passes legit. no cats. but has everything else on.

also dont flash it right before you go. you need time to drive so all the codes come up ready. takes a while you can check it with the obd2 scanners.

its 1 not ready, and I reflashed my car monday, I'm over 150 miles (I think, speedo is off afterall) so tomorrow I'll take it in and see how I do.

gamebred26

Established Member
there are certain conditions that reset the ecus in the cobras not miles. not sure on your car. but its like stupid stuff holding certain mphs for a certain time. stops and starts. etc.

gamebred26

Established Member
you def need sims to trick the ecu to having them ready. dont go to dmv go to a shop if you have tint etc as well...

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
there are certain conditions that reset the ecus in the cobras not miles. not sure on your car. but its like stupid stuff holding certain mphs for a certain time. stops and starts. etc.

I know ford has the drive cycle and I read into that, I thought that was more of the dealer reprogramming the computer. At any rate when my friend went through this with his 03 marauder, he just put the stock tune back on and went on a 300 mile road trip, and it passed just fine...

I'm going tomorrow so hopefully I can get my 8/13 sticker and be safe for another year.

Users who are viewing this thread