Jeff, what's new that will keep you ahead of me now?

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
This is what I've added recently to try an get the truck back up with that car of yours.
IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

What do you have in store for me?:poke:

:pepper::banana::beer::dancenana:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Thanks guys, I'm digging them so far. Can't wait to get them on track and see what they really have though :)

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
that's awesome man!! my ultimate goal is to put my 4 piston baer brakes that i have on the front and mount them on the rear, and buy the 6 pistons for the front!! dreaming a good thing right lol..

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
that's awesome man!! my ultimate goal is to put my 4 piston baer brakes that i have on the front and mount them on the rear, and buy the 6 pistons for the front!! dreaming a good thing right lol..

Be careful you don't end up with way too much rear brake. I know these 6 piston calipers actually have less total piston area than the stock 2-piston calipers that were on the truck. They even out the pad wear because of having more pistons but the pistons are smaller. The much larger rotors do create A LOT more stopping power though. I'm waiting to see what it does to the brake balance of the truck but it is definitely a noticable difference. I'm just hoping it still has a good feel that lets me easily modulate the pedal since I'm used to left foot trail braking the truck since it's an automatic. Hopefully I don't screw myself up trying it with this new package! Just because of how much more sensitive it feels on the street I am a bit concerned.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea I know about the to much rear brake thing that's what i'm worried about.. yes becareful trail braking with those brakes but you'll be a much better feel for them on the track.. on the street it always feels like its really sensative due to slower speeds, atleast that's my thought on it. but when I go super fast and brake i can tell its pretty much spot on..

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
very nice!! I think it uses C5 pads, right? ... I thought that they were monoblock though... :shrug:

Nope, this isn't any standard kit. I happened upon these calipers through the race team and made them work with the rotors from the Brembo 14" kit for the Lightning. I was told they were the same calipers used by Indy car at some point. I believe in the Pegasus catalog they were described as Trans Am series caliper in the pad shape conversion chart.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
dude i can't find the old style 6 piston calipers to save my life!! I don't really like the look of the new monoblock design.. I want that design plus they are Alcon calipers. I'm jealous :(

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Nope, this isn't any standard kit. I happened upon these calipers through the race team and made them work with the rotors from the Brembo 14" kit for the Lightning. I was told they were the same calipers used by Indy car at some point. I believe in the Pegasus catalog they were described as Trans Am series caliper in the pad shape conversion chart.

Nice work. :thumbsup:
Now you need to adapt an Indy car wing. :banana:

Lumpydogs

Established Member
Tom,

Very Nice! Those will definitely put you closer to my bumper. You better drive nice and not pull any bump and run crap. I really don't need any help getting loose on corner entry or exit. On second thought, go ahead and draft me all you want to. Just remember my cobra has a history of blowing up without warning. You could end up with a Mineral Grey hood ornament. :D

I'm curious to see what those brakes do for your lap times at Gingy. I also wonder how long the pads will last :shrug: I kinda remember a minor rear brake pad issue with someones black lightening. :poke: Looked like a James Bond smoke screen on the straight before pit in.

Did you ever find any better pads for the stock rears. You may have to upgrade the rear pads to keep the truck from getting squirrely on full brake. My cobra wasn't happy with the '00 Cobra Rs up front until I went with Hawk Blues on rear and then everything starting working right.

p.s. How's the shoulder?

Later,

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread