Jeep Wrangler, lets hear opinions.

shamrock216

Established Member
Ok so I know this is an SVT forum but lets face it, all other forums suck a$$ so....

Im thinking about buying a Wrangler (TJ, maybe 01+). I had a 1997 awhile back and loved it but it was a 4cyl so that sucked, it had a 4" lift and 33x12.50. I wont be driving it much since I have a take home work vehicle. I put about 2000 miles on my truck in the last 5 months.

What Im looking for is something that is already built up, suspension lift and 35"s or bigger and all the other cool crap. I was set on getting a Rubicon but Im not sure I wanna spend a bunch. I would like to stay under $20G. Right now Im leaning towards this one, probably because its local and I drive buy it everyday...
2001Yellow37s.gif

2001 6" lift, 37" tires 4.88 gears, lockers, 87k miles, $14950 (I hate the wheels)

If I decide to go all out I might pick up this one that a fellow member here is selling....
Rubicon001.gif

Anyways, lets hear some opinions from the Jeep owners out there. If you were doing it all over again what would you buy? Post pics if you got em:coolman:

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
I like the rubicon better. However, I owned a Wrangler for about 18 months and frankly I hated it. It was a 01, It had 4 recalls, drive and rode like crap, I had to put a $3k stereo in just to hear it with the top off, and finally it got the worst gas mileage of any car I have ever owned.

jesusphreak

Newby For Life
Established Member
i have a 01 TJ i built up to do mild offroading. What are you wanting it for? you like the look of a big tall jeep? or you going to be doing offroading? If offroading what kind? You can save yourself money and such by determining what you want it for before you buy.

Caution on the one with 37's, even if you baby it and don't offroad it, if it has stock axles you are living on barrowed time.
35's can be ok as long as you are easy on the skinny pedal. Although stronger shafts are recomended.
Most sports come with D30 front and D44 rear end (the stock rear is D35 and can break with 33s with granny driving it, or can last a while, its really a crap shoot, but they aren't strong at all)
The unlimiteds are nice, the longer wheel base makes them more stable as a tall vehicle and the longer wheelbase makes it easier on the drivetrain when you lift. I would definately look at those if I were getting another newer one (I only spent 10k on mine, 01 sport with 75k miles, bone stock)

Last edited:

shamrock216

Established Member
Very mild offroad use. Just some trails, no deep mudding and no steep climbs!

That yellow Jeep has the Dana44 in the rear and Im sure its the D35 up front but I gotta go look at it to make sure. For my use, I really should try to find one on 35s but I like the look of the bigger tires.

Im leaning towards the cheaper one right now just because the cheap payment would leave money available for other toys in the future. The only thing that scares me is the high mileage.

Raven519

Established Member
the only thing i can say i hate about my jeep is the brakes...they are absolutely terrible...gasmileage isn't great but its a box on wheels what do you expect?

jesusphreak

Newby For Life
Established Member
if you like the look of just the tall jeep go to the SN95 cobra forums and look at the Daily Drivers pics, I have 33x10.50s on mine, and while they aren't 35s, they also dont suck as bad as 35s for daily driving. 35s are a low heavier than 33s and usually need steering/brake upgrades on top of regearing and stronger axles. My jeep with 4" of lift and 33s sits just a hair taller than most full size 4x4 trucks (there is a titan at work I like to park it next to and mine is just a hair taller)

But those are recomendations for someone who will drive theirs a lot, if you have something else for highway and long trips the 35s may not be as bad.

As far as the Axles all Jeeps except rubicon's have D30's up front, the D44 on front of the rubicons is only marginally better than the D30 (its like D30 outers, knuckles, shafts and tubes with a D44 center)

The front bumper on the first jeep is a Smittybuilt, not exactly the best quality, and it sticks way far out the front of the jeep (something to consider may make trail turns harder as well as driving around town).
The 2nd one has warns which are good bumpers (a little on the expensive side but hey it already has them :) )

The one on 37s looks like a lot of the front steering and axle are all stock by that picture, I personally wouldn't want one with that big of tires. Have you driven it yet to see if you like it being that tall? Even offroading lots of people unless they go stretched wheelbases and such don't go bigger than 35s, its really not very stable.

I'd look more into 33 - 35" tire ranges. And if you really want one with 35s look for one that already has some beefed up stuff like steering/gears/brakes. cause those things can get expensive.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
the only thing i can say i hate about my jeep is the brakes...they are absolutely terrible...gasmileage isn't great but its a box on wheels what do you expect?

I concur.

Wranglers are ok, but I think my Cherokee is much easier to live with. Came with 32's and a 3 inch lift. I'd like to go bigger, but I don't want to spend all the money to solve the drivetrain problems that come with it. I like having the hardtop, backseat, and plenty of cargo room if I want it. If you are just driving around town and on mild trails, what is the point of finding a fully modded jeep? Get one with 3-5" of lift, 33's, and 4.56's and you are set. Do whatever body mods you want after that.

I've upgraded basic stuff on mine to make it more liveable and able to tow. Replaced the head unit and speakers, and added a transcooler so far. Great for a DD, even if the mileage sucks.

stang3O2

Established Member
I like the grey one, I had one a couple years back and loved it! It was the 6cyl. auto and it was a strong motor but the mpg was horrible about 13 and I did alot of highway driving so i had to sell it.

GunsUpCoyote

Global Wahhh? 12 mpg
Established Member
IF your going to spend 99% of your time off road... JEEPS ARE GREAT!! Ive never owned one but driven and ridden in plenty, simply would never buy one. Amazing off roading capabilities though

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Before I bought the TBSS I looked at one of the new Wranglers. It was nice, but the one that I was looking at was fully loaded and had a sticker price of $36,000. IMO, no Jeep is worth that much when you compare them to other vehicles in that range. Even the SRT8 Cherokee is not worth much more than that IMO. That, and the dealers being complete dicks turned me off from Jeep from that point on.

-Jeff

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
That, and the dealers being complete dicks turned me off from Jeep from that point on.

-Jeff

when my sister went to buy her's she had a few things that were had to haves...

her list
Brand new
hemi
black
leather
navigation

they first showed her
a blue v6 with cloth and 5K miles

2nd
a silver, dissel...

she said STOP what part of my list DIDNT you understand... tell me if you have one of these... they said we have a black v6.... she just walked out... guess they didnt want the 42K she paid for her's in cash

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
A guy in my office just got rid of his Wrangler. It was a 6 cylinder and got amazingly bad gas mileage. We're talking Terminator territory here (12-15 mpg in mixed driving). Apparently that's not unusual for a Wrangler? :shrug:

its mopar... nuff said...
Is that good or bad? :lol1:

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
A guy in my office just got rid of his Wrangler. It was a 6 cylinder and got amazingly bad gas mileage. We're talking Terminator territory here (12-15 mpg in mixed driving). Apparently that's not unusual for a Wrangler? :shrug:

Is that good or bad? :lol1:

hahahaha...

first my views are not the views of amazon racing...

with that said! MOPAR SUCKS!

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
any wrangler I ever drove, thank god never owned, felt like I was in a tin can, there was nothing to the thing and i have no Idea how jeep came up wiht the price tag a for something like that, the manual sucked in thse things, radio sucked, and the creature comforts were far and few between, plus they suck in the winter, everything in them gets cold cold cold and it take sforever to warm them up

Users who are viewing this thread