Jeep comanche help

kook911

Established Member
Ok I bought a jeep comanche as a running project. I am at a lost on what the problem can be and hopeing that someone on here can help me out.

I have a 1987 Jeep Comanche, inline 6, 5 speed, 4x4. The problem that I am having is the jeep stalls when I push the clutch in. It will idle fine and when driving the truck shifts with no problems and will not stall out. The only time it stalls is when I disengage the clutch and hold the clutch down. It does idle about 550-600 and when the clutch is disengage it will drop idle and stall out. I have replace the spark plugs, cap, rotor, and spark plug wires. I took the throttle body off and clean that with throttle body cleaner and also clean the idle air control. I tested the tps and that is in working order. I also tested the cps and it shows a reading of .2 but I have not replace it yet. The service manual says that the cps should be at .5 any thing lower should be replace. I also spray carb cleaner on the vacuum lines hopeing the get a surge but nothing. The only thing that I can think of is the cps is bad but is on its last leg or the pressure plate or clutch is rubbing where it shouldn't and applying excess pressure to the drivetrain causing the engine to stall. I would like to get this solved before I pay someone to solve it so hopefully someone can help me out.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Replace cam position sensor and retest. Low reading could be caused by build up on the sensor at the bell housing. Those 4.0L motors are notorious for that thing going bad and causing erratic behavior.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Crank sensor not cam

correct. its been a long few days. house closing went haywire and now a huge plumbing leak has me on no sleep and nerves that are shot to shit. couldnt figure out how to open the door to 7-11 this morning for coffee....pull, not push.

kook911

Established Member
I am going to swing by the dealer and pick one up as I heard/read the ones bought from autozone, napa, etc are not good. I am hopeing that's the problem as I really do not want to replace the clutch. Thanks for the input and help.

Users who are viewing this thread