JBA shorty questions

Hunter6

Established Member
Just a couple questions for JBA shorty owners.

Price?
HP/TRQ gains?
Install price/time?
Where to get them?
Do they work with aftermarket x pipes?

Thanks

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member

HP/TRQ gains? - gains aren't alot but are noticed in dyno's and 1/4's

Install price/time? more than 300 bucks, I guess it depends if you drop the k-member or not. maybe 4 to 6 hours.

Do they work with aftermarket x pipes? sure why not.

My question, is there a 99-01 version and a 03-04 version? I think the answer is no the oval ports is the same? Correct me if I'm wrong someone:??:

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Originally posted by brad65ford

HP/TRQ gains? - gains aren't alot but are noticed in dyno's and 1/4's

Install price/time? more than 300 bucks, I guess it depends if you drop the k-member or not. maybe 4 to 6 hours.

Do they work with aftermarket x pipes? sure why not.

My question, is there a 99-01 version and a 03-04 version? I think the answer is no the oval ports is the same? Correct me if I'm wrong someone:??:

You can get them here: http://www.centuryperformance.com/detail.asp?product_id=JBA-1625-7JB

U.M.

hj16

Established Member
Originally posted by Hunter6
Can you install without removing the K member?
Yes, but its a bitch and a half. I installed my Kooks LTs without dropping the K-member:kaboom: and it took 18hrs:mj:

Smrgol

Originally posted by Hunter6
Just a couple questions for JBA shorty owners.

Price?

I paid around $616.

HP/TRQ gains?

My car had an Amazon Racing filter, FR500 catback, and Diablo Sport chip when I added both the headers and catted x-pipe. I got the following gains:

Max Power: 25.8
Average Power: 14.9
Peak Power: 22.7

Max Torque: 21.5
Average Torque: 15.4
Peak Torque: 14.4

Install price/time?

Installation was $300 at my favorite shop. He dropped the K-member to get it done. I watched and I don't see how you can all the header bolts torqued down without doing that. But some folks seem to be able to do it.

Where to get them?

www.speedworx.com

Do they work with aftermarket x pipes?

Yep, I have a Bassani 5 piece catted x-pipe but all the '99+ mid-pipes will work.

Silver 03 Cobra

I've installed headers on two 03's and one 01 Cobra. I dropped the KM on all of them and at the most it took was nine hours working on the ground. $300 is a hell of a good price for a shop. I've seen quotes as high as $800.

I went from 395 rwhp SAE and 374 rwt with a full Bassani exhaust and drop in K&N to 411 rwhp and 385 rwt with the JBA's. I had bigger net gains down low. Are they worth it? IF you are racing and you want to run the best then every mod adds up. It's 20-30 crank HP more than the guy that doesn't have them. Then throw in 3 to 4 more mods that don't do much or not considered worth the time, expense or effort and see who runs faster.

Uncle Meat

Established Member
Re: Headers

Originally posted by 42RCODE
Yes,
they are new for the 03 Cobras.

Fred:beer:

I think the older JBA's had oval ports that matched the 99-01 4v heads. The ones I see advertised now are listed as being for 99-03 Cobras. Maybe they redesigned them to match the '03's more rectangular ports and decided they worked for the 99+ too.

U.M.

Last edited:

shweggy 03snake

Established Member
I have the JBA CAT4WARD shorty headers on my car with a full bassani exhaust. Saw 30 HP at the wheels. the other benefit is more heat released from the engine faster, and less strain on the engine because your horsepower increases but your overall boost PSI goes down. I would recommend getting a set of "PERCY's SEAL-4-GOOD" header gaskets. they have a web site and you can order by phone for 03 Cobra. they are made from a thick soft aluminum which will not blow out and not leak because when you bolt up the headers the flanges crush the aluminum for a permanent leak free fit, and also a "Stage-8" locking header bolt kit, these will not back out. You'll never have to worry about any leaks.

Paul

Uncle Meat

Established Member
Originally posted by shweggy 03snake
I have the JBA CAT4WARD shorty headers on my car with a full bassani exhaust. Saw 30 HP at the wheels. the other benefit is more heat released from the engine faster, and less strain on the engine because your horsepower increases but your overall boost PSI goes down. I would recommend getting a set of "PERCY's SEAL-4-GOOD" header gaskets. they have a web site and you can order by phone for 03 Cobra. they are made from a thick soft aluminum which will not blow out and not leak because when you bolt up the headers the flanges crush the aluminum for a permanent leak free fit, and also a "Stage-8" locking header bolt kit, these will not back out. You'll never have to worry about any leaks.

Paul

I've got 2000 miles on my JBA's now with no leaks. Used the stock OEM gaskets and utilized all but two of the stock exhaust manifold studs on the passenger side and all of the stock studs on drivers side.

U.M.

shweggy 03snake

Established Member
As long as the head surface is clean and the header flanges are perfectly straight then it should not be a problem. But I tend to go a little overboard just to be absolutely sure. My JBAs started "farting" around 3500 miles. Man did it drive me crazy to be driving around in an 03 Cobra that sounded like a pig

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread