JBA header install technigues question.

Tomcat5157

Established Member
just wondering the technique that everyone used to install there LT's. ive heard some people drop the k-member and others don't. so how did you do it and on average how long did it take everyone? my plan right now is to not pull the k-member. I installed long tubes in my 03 mach 1 and it was a super big pain. if anyone has done header install on both is the install as involved on my new car as it was on the old one? my car is a 2014 gt. thanks!

Nuar

Established Member
I approached the job with the same intensions as you... Not to drop the K member... In the end I was REALLY mad at my self that I didn't lower the k member sooner...
You do not need to completely remove the K member, just unbolt it and swing it down. The front will still be attatched to the suspension and the rear of the k will swing down and rest on the ground.
That being said ...

Get yourself a set of ratchettig wrenches or at the very least the wrench required for the header nuts (don't remember the size.. 13 or 15 mm??) I also highly recommend a set of ratchetting reverse torx wrenches in case you decide to pull a few studs when trying to slip the header in place.
The steering shaft bolt can be tricky, so draw a mark across the shaft and over the gead of the bolt so you know which way it went in, it is possible to put that bolt in backwards and that will cause a lot of slop in the steering wheel.
A lot of people have a problem with the starter, one bolt can be a pain.. i had NO problem at all simply because I had access to various size ratchets and i used a very small swivel head ratchet with a long-ish extension and a deep socket. Came right out.

Get the car as high as you safely can in the air on jackstands. Get a piece of 2x4 on the jack and jack up on the webbing of the transmission right before it joins with the motor.

A little heads up, on the passenger aide engine mount, there is a ground strap wire attatched to one of the studs.
You will hate that guy after about 5 mins of meeting him lol.

Good luck on the instal :)

helloWorld

Established Member
I don't know a lot about cars, but if a lot of people say that removing the K-member is the easiest way to do it, why doesn't everyone doing aftermarket header installs remove the K-member?

Nuar

Established Member
Its a little unnerving, you unbolt the support for the engine and then your motor and transmission stays supported only by one jack.
but it really is not a problem if yoy have a decent jack.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Do yourself a favor and "drop" the k-member. You aren't actually dropping it though, more like letting it hang down. I've done it both ways, and lets just say...drop the damn thing lol. You will have much more room and not have to work around it. Just make sure that you use a sharpie or something and trace the k-member so that you align it as close as possible to the way it was before. Other than that Nuar had some very good advice. I personally didn't have to remove any studs.

Elwood617

Established Member
Do yourself a favor and "drop" the k-member. You aren't actually dropping it though, more like letting it hang down. I've done it both ways, and lets just say...drop the damn thing lol. You will have much more room and not have to work around it. Just make sure that you use a sharpie or something and trace the k-member so that you align it as close as possible to the way it was before. Other than that Nuar had some very good advice. I personally didn't have to remove any studs.

^ This ^
Mine lined right back up with no issues, make the whole thing much easier.

Tomcat5157

Established Member
does anyone by chance have any pics of there install? and just the bolts in the back of the k member? steering rack and sway bar tie rod ends etc all stay installed?

Tomcat5157

Established Member
also for those of you that have long tubes already what axleback did you go with? i want a loud note but i dont want any drone on the highway. thanks again for the insight!

Nuar

Established Member
I did my instal over a weekend. I would have finished in one afternoon if i wasn't so stubborn about lowering the kmember and then about pulling the damn studs lol.
i am running Bassani axle back with stick over the axle pipes. Absolutely no drone. I tried magnaflow street axle back as wee, sounded good but it was a little bit too mellow for me so i got the bassanis back on

Yes only the kmember bolts will be undone and all the suspension components will stay bolted on to the kmember. Just unbolt the steering shaft first.
sorry no pictures :(

Nuar

Established Member
[youtube_browser]mGHKcDh3rfc[/youtube_browser]

This video helped me quite a bit, but they make it look so much easier than it is with the kmember in place.

NoSlo5oH

Established Member
Here is a link for my LT header install.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f358/t341260/

image_zpsc0844c5d.jpg

scott_0

Established Member
my nephew and I installed my Pypes LT's without touching the k-member, including my car, my nephew has assisted with LT installs on five Coyotes and never touched the k-member, his most recent install took 4.5hrs, of course a lift was used each and every time. Id say if youre doing the install in your driveway or garage without a lift, supporting the motor properly and removing the k-member is your best bet, but with a lift, its really not necassary. imo, having the proper tools is more important than dropping the k-member, a 15mm flexible head ratcheting wrench is a must. I also need to mention, dont stress removing the cats from the headers, I removed both sides without separating the cats from the headers.

Last edited:

Tomcat5157

Established Member
Got them installed today! Was pretty easy to do actually. Only took about seven hours with lots of conversation and not much working. Also threw on some kooks axleback car sounds amazing! Thank you everyone for your insight!

Users who are viewing this thread