JBA Cermaic headers

dannydr44

Established Member
Hey everyone,

I’m new to the forums and I’m need of some much needed help. I Have a 2012 GT with a ford racing adjustable 1 inch adjustable suspension drop and BMR full suspension in the rear. Since I’m an impatient idiot and can’t listen to reason, I decided to buy JBA shorty ceramic headers. I’ve been told, that the new 5.0 comes with shorty’s from the factory, which is true. They also happen to flow pretty good as compared to previous generations, which is also true. I had a pretty well known shop in NJ install these headers and they screwed them all up. Not only did the shop destroy the driver side header gasket (during the install), the driver side header was making contact with the steering rack shaft. I had another shop replace the gasket and adjust the position of the motor but there’s only about 1/4 of inch clearance on either side of the header and when I’m taking a hard left turn, it seems that the driver side header is making contact with steering shaft, again. Has anyone experienced this type of problems with any of the headers on the market? I’m debating on removing them and reinstalling the stock headers...sucks. What a waste of time and money...

Anyway...sorry for the long post. Any support is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

zachcrosen

Established Member
I think a lot of guys have had rubbing issues. I've read about some denting the header in at the area where it rubs and I believe I have heard of changing out motor mounts if Im not mistaken. Im not sure if I have seen the issues with shorties but I know a lot of guys have had the problem with the long tubes.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
No problems with my long tubes. The shop where I had mine done appears to have done a good job, except for some other issues, the headers are fine, LOL.
Could it be the JBA shorties?

dannydr44

Established Member
I’m not sure either. I’m exploring options right now. I’ve spoken to JPC racing and they stated that they never had any issues but would recommend poly engine mounts. At this point, I might as well get a BMR front cradle with poly mounts (and use shims, if need be) or I’ve should of gotten long tube headers instead...even thought I want to stay smog level. Really annoyed right now. Anyway, I appreciate the feed back!

Holovacko

Established Member
I needed to use a spacer (about 1/2") to prevent rubbing. Some companies make a spacer, or you can make your own.

dannydr44

Established Member
I’m surprised you're not having clearance issues with these headers. I’m trying to figure out, how to add pictures right now to this thread. Then you can see what I’m talking about. What sucks even more, is that now I’m having miss firing problems. Never had the engine miss fire before hand...it never ends. I don’t understand why and I’m hoping it’s something stupid, like bad gas or something else minor. It happened this morning, while I was cruising at around 80 mph and I felt the power loss right away. Good thing I was close to home. Anyway, I spoke to a local shop near me and I’m going to have them notch the one pipe, that’s making contact with the steering shaft. A 1/4 inch notch should take care of the issue at hand.

dannydr44

Established Member
When you mean spacer, are you talking about adding spacers to the motor mounts or K-member? I contacted JBA and they sent me a new driver side header. I’m going to order a BMR K-member, BMR lower control arms and BMR lower radiator support pretty soon. I was going to replace everything at once and worst case, notch the driver side header, if need be. I’ve also notice the refinish (paint) on the passenger side body rail is starting to glaze or burn out, since the damn header is so close. This purchase/install has been killing me since day I decided to do it. I’m now regretting it... :cuss:

bullet3z

Established Member
Why not go back to the original installer and have them make it right? Either fix the messed up install or go back to the factory setup. Then sell the used shorties here in the market place. I would not keep throwing money at it to fix a problem that you probably should not have to begin with.

dannydr44

Established Member
Dude, that’s my next step. I’ll be beyond pissed off, if I have to go back to the stock set up. I’ve spend money on the damn headers, install and additional labor for another shop, to fix the install...since the initial shop messed it up. The initial shop that installed the headers, should of called me and advised me, that the headers don’t have enough clearance and that the driver side header is making contact with the steering shaft. But...that’s what I get for using a shop, doesn’t work on many street mustangs.

Users who are viewing this thread