Jail for inspection sticker

edswhite99

Established Member
My neighbor told me that he had been arrested for having a fake, ie illegally purchased, Texas state inspection sticker. He didnt go into the specifics, but I called bs cuz I've never heard of any one being arrested for a "fake" sticker. What do you guys think?

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
I wouldn't be surprised if hes telling you the truth, but it does seem a bit extreme unless he had a warrant out for past due tickets.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I don't know, that does sound a little extreme... I knew someone in HS who bought an integra off his cousin, and his cousin put a fake inspection sticker in the window because the car would never pass inspection... He just got a ticket for it and was sent on his way...

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I know if you get caught MAKING them you can be arrested but how can they prove that you knowing and willingly purchased a fake sticker by just looking at it on the road. My friend got a heafty ticket however for possessing a fake inspection sticker and he had no idea it was fake because he just brought his car to a local shop to get inspection and wasn't looking for someone who could pass the car no questions asked.

Are you sure your firend wasn't arrested for something else and got ultimately charged with a fake inspection sticker?

Last edited:

txyaloo

Established Member
Absolutely believable. Many counties are cracking down on it. Displaying a counterfeit inspection sticker is a class b misdemeanor. If he was selling, making, or had any materials to make counterfeit stickers, that's a 3rd degree felony...

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
I know if you get caught MAKING them you can be arrested but how can they prove that you knowing and willingly purchased a fake sticker by just looking at it on the road.

I think now since they can run your plates to check for insurance coverage they can also check to see if your registration/inspection is expired, so if you have a current inspection sticker yet the dot/dps system says its expired that could be one way for an officer to know if it is fake/illegal. Could be wrong though so don't hold me to it.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
LOL I believe it. What's so hard to believe about someone getting locked up for making fraudulent government tags?

SciFiHiFi

Established Member
Getting creative on your smog check and forging state documents are two way different things. Forging any kind of official government document is risky and incredibly stupid.
Does Texas have strict smog laws? I can't imagine how it would be worth it to forge documents just to drive around with a loud muffler. Either your neighbor is really stupid or he was trying to cover up something else shady about the car.

oldmodman

Established Member
We do not have inspections here in California.

But I did get pulled over for having a fake yearly sticker on a plate. I had just purchased a trailer and I was on the way home with it. The seller had put a phony, current year sticker on so he could get rid of it.
I was just told I had 30 days to take care of it and get a new plate and sticker from the DMV. I just went to my local AAA office and they got me a new plate and sticker. I think it cost around $40
This was back I the 80's It's probably more now.

Planter

Banned
no reason to get a fake sticker. all you have to do is know somebody who does inspections. get a legit sticker and have them sign off on the form.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Failure to register and appear wouldnt be helped by having fake stickers on your windshield i would imagine.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Absolutely believable. Many counties are cracking down on it. Displaying a counterfeit inspection sticker is a class b misdemeanor. If he was selling, making, or had any materials to make counterfeit stickers, that's a 3rd degree felony...

Makes sense to me too.

LOL I believe it. What's so hard to believe about someone getting locked up for making fraudulent government tags?

Umm, yeah. :shrug: Seems quite easy to comprehend.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't think it's unbelievable, I just want to know why he was jailed. Like I said just because it's a phony doesn't necessarily mean he was the one who made it. My friend wasn't thrown in jail when the cop saw his fake sticker. Maybe your friend admitted to making a fake one. and maybe the laws are different in nj as compared to texas.

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member

This.

We're not talking about passing inspection with tint or something, we're talking about someone making a fake tag.

Doesn't surprise me at all.

txyaloo

Established Member
I don't think it's unbelievable, I just want to know why he was jailed. Like I said just because it's a phony doesn't necessarily mean he was the one who made it. My friend wasn't thrown in jail when the cop saw his fake sticker. Maybe your friend admitted to making a fake one. and maybe the laws are different in nj as compared to texas.

You think?

Displaying a fake one in Texas is a Class B misdemeanor... Traffic citations are Class C's. So it's a more serious offense than speeding. I suspect there's also more to the story.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
You think?

Displaying a fake one in Texas is a Class B misdemeanor... Traffic citations are Class C's. So it's a more serious offense than speeding. I suspect there's also more to the story.

Yep, spend the money to make it pass and I don't mean kicking out for a illegal one.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member

Laws vary in each state.

I'm sure your buddy could have been taken to jail. He received a summons in lieu of arrest or non-custodial arrest with a notice to appear.

We will issue citations for things like this all the time, but we can easily take someone in for them as well. Penalties could still be jail time whether taken in originally or not.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I got sent through the ringer over a paperwork mishap in west Texas. Dps officer was quick to tell me a fraudulent document in Texas is a felony... my fraudulent document was a annual inspection. With a transposed vin number with a line drawn through it with the correct vin underneath. It was one of the first digits pretty simple to see what happened but he latched onto it. I can see this happening real easy. This was in a commercial vehicle and I talked to a guy that got spent jail time until his company sorted things out ....

Users who are viewing this thread