jacking point for front of 95 SVT Cobra -R

Bob g

Established Member
I got track tires on my new purchase SVt cobra -R. The front is way low . Were is the safest place to stick an alumiun floor jack to change the front tires one by one. Could also use advise on jacking points for the rear.

Sincererly
Bob Geco
1995 SVT Cobra-R
[email protected]

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
Your posting in the How-to section. This is only for tips and instructional stuff.

With that being said, drive the car onto some 2x4's to gain another couple inches. You'll be able to slide the jack under at that point and you should jack it up under the pinch weld where there's a reinforced notch.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Bob, I do the 2x4 thing and put the jack under the K member.

On the rear I do what some say don't and jack under the Diff.

You may want to post in the Cobra R section and see what those guys do also.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
To work one wheel at a time I jack the car up from the subframes. All it needs is a little bit of lift to get the wheels up. I also drive the car onto pieces of wood because mine sits low as hell in the front.

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
I jack from the K-member with a piece of wood as well. My car sits about 1/4" too low to get a lower profile jack underneath the sides.

Jack up one side from the K high enough to get a jackstand under the side sill, then repeat for the opposite side, stacking wood blocks under the K as you go for a front stand and a bit of security. As Busta said driving the car up onto some wood planks helps clearance too.

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I have to drive up on more than one set of 2x4's to get the jack under and it is still tight, I jack from the sides under the frame rails, or the entire front via the engine braced with a peice of wood, some say not too but I havent had a problem and many times i have no other choice. From the rear I jack it up from the pumpkin

BraMas

Established Member
The one tool every Lowered Mustang owner should have is 2X4's to drive on.
On a side note if you only have stock frame rails (meaning no sub frame connectors) and you jack up from the frame rails I would suggest putting piece off wood in between the frame and the jack pad. If you don't you will dent the crap out of the frame rails.
If it has Sub frame connectors I put my jack right around the seat bracket on the SF connectors and jack up one side of the car at a time when I'm switching to my track tires

Last edited:

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
On a side note if you only have stock frame rails (meaning no sub frame connectors) and you jack up from the frame rails I would suggest putting piece off wood in between the frame and the jack pad. If you don't you will dent the crap out of the frame rails.
If it has Sub frame connectors I put my jack right around the seat bracket on the SF connectors and jack up one side of the car at a time when I'm switching to my track tires

This is actually a very good suggestion I do have SFC's myself but I'm glad you mentioned this in case someone did it and blamed me for denting their rails :nonono:

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
My last car, I dented the frame rails up jacking the car up so much.

The best thing I did was go and get a set of ramps. I only have to lift the car a little to get it on the stands if I have to do something with the wheels.

I wish I got them a long time ago.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
If doing 1 tire at a time, why not just jack it up under the control arm. it's actually the most effecient.

Dubbsy

Go big or go broke.
Established Member
I usually end up under the 'frame rail' on mine (with a 12-14" 2x4) but I'm usually going to jack stands at that point. Should be a decent spot closer to the control arm if you're just switching tires and don't plan on jack stands - assuming you can get a jack under there.

For you guys that talk about driving up on boards - what do you do if you have a flat tire?
I only ask because I'm fearing this myself. My jack will drop to 3.5" at the pad but the body probably wouldn't make it under the rocker to try and hit the frame rail or subframes.

BraMas

Established Member
I'm F'd if I get a flat. I have no jack or spare tire in the car. But anytime I go on a road trip my Boards go with me.

Dubbsy

Go big or go broke.
Established Member
I'm F'd if I get a flat. I have no jack or spare tire in the car. But anytime I go on a road trip my Boards go with me.

I think (when it comes to a flat) I'm most worried about one going flat while its in storage. Its sitting on a bald set of tires on the factory wheels right now and I have no idea what I'm going to do if one of the wheels up next to the wall goes flat. :shrug:

Might be planning for some dollies for next winter just in case.

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
I still keep a factory jack in the car. It can get under any car.

I can't understand why you wouldn't keep a jack of some sort in the car in case of a flat. But I also live in a gigantic desert where AAA means squat. You might be waiting 3 hours.

Jon96cobra

Established Member
I typical use my sub frame connectors to jack up the car that way I can get the entire left or right side of the car off the ground. If I just need the front I go off the k member and if just the rear I use the 8.8 jack point on the rear. This is what I got for lowered cars.
91039.gif

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
my problem with those jacks is I can get the front underneath, its the middle part that angles up right after the jacking pad that starts to get in the way, so I cant get it deep enough to lift on a secure part from the side without driving up on multiple boards

Users who are viewing this thread