I've had it! Is it the 4lb lower?

94-98 Trans Am

Established Member
I've replaced 3 belts in the past 2 months, all varying from tight to normal fit. I still get the damned belt squeak and the car only gets driven to the track and home a few times a month. I've replaced the alternator (under autozone warranty..thought it was that), swapped idlers for different ones I have laying around, replaced my tensioner bearing, etc. Im begining to think its the 4lb lower causing the problems. Im thinking its to close to the lower idler and I need to move the idler out on the metco plate. Is this the case? My buddy has a belt squeak with his 4lb lower car also, but it doesnt happen nearly as often. I put a new belt on and the noise goes away. I drive to the track, run passes, and on my way home (50 miles) its start squeaking. I don't think its track related. This is pissing me off.

btw- 4lb lower, 2.8 upper, aux idler, stock idlers everywhere else.

Thanks,
Corey

DNeinstadt

Established Member
The metco plate has either 2 or 3 locations for the idler. The pulley needs to be in the MIDDLE or the FAR RIGHT (when looking at it from the front).

I had this same issue, it gets too close to the crank pulley and shreds the belt in between the crank pulley and the idler.

Dan

RixSikcobra04

I kept shredding belts for awhile, also. I thought it was a malaligned pulley, turned out that I was running too tight a belt. Went .3 bigger on the Gback and...vwalla..., no more belt shredding.

94-98 Trans Am

Established Member
Yes, a squeak problem. Thanks for the ideas, hmm, upper pulley. Only thing I haven't tried. I guess Ill move that idler over first. I run gates belts, plus I get them next day for 22 bucks any size pretty much. Carquest hooks me up.

spincobra03

Established Member
Im telling you my 6lb lower was installed in the wrong position because it was to close to the idler and causing a loud squeal and it was constant. I brought it in a shop and they immedately saw it was in the wrong spot, I think thats exactly what is happening here, the lower and idler are to close, get it up on a lift and relocate it.

94-98 Trans Am

Established Member
I appreciate the reply, I think this is the problem also. I am now doubting its upper, because It hasn't given a problem and its been on way before the 4lb lower (had a 2# lower with no issues before the upper)

Thanks for the help.

94-98 Trans Am

Established Member
Fixed the problem. Moved the lower idler over on the metco plate. With the same size belt I could not get my aux idler back on, so your def going to need a bigger size. One good thing, I reused the same previously squeaky belt and no noise at all.

Thanks guys. Make sure you move that idler as far away from that 4lb as you can (within reason).

94-98 Trans Am

Established Member
s_x_i said:
Change your belt for the Gatorback.

I have had nothing but noise from Gates belts - stopped IMMEDIATELY when I switched.

Gatorback belts look shitty to me and don't last. Those Gates look thick with lots of rubber on them and surface area.

slo-poc

SKYNET 03
Established Member
94-98 Trans Am said:
Fixed the problem. Moved the lower idler over on the metco plate. With the same size belt I could not get my aux idler back on, so your def going to need a bigger size. One good thing, I reused the same previously squeaky belt and no noise at all.

Thanks guys. Make sure you move that idler as far away from that 4lb as you can (within reason).
Upper position......

Users who are viewing this thread