I've got a request for all you SVT'ers

94RedCobra

Established Member
I'm going to make a request that you help the American economy and in a sense, do you part to help the war on terrorism.

BUY FUEL WITH ETHANOL IN IT!!!!! We are able to grow corn in the USA and turn it into our own source of fuel. We don't need to import oil from all over the world when we have our own source of renwable fuel here.

Some key points about ethanol:
(1) It is renewable.
(2) It is cleaner burning than fossil fuels.
(3) It has higher octane rating.
(4) It supports American jobs.
(5) It shows less wear on engine parts than fossil fuels (because it is cleaner burning).
(6) Because it is oxygenated, it will help you to pass emissions tests if you are worried about such a thing.

People who support the oil industry support outsourcing jobs to other countries and support sending money to many of the people who wish to harm us. Please do the right thing and support your USA economy buy supporting the renewable fuels that are produced here in the USA.

Ethanol blened gasolines, E85, and Biodisel!

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Yahh...It's not like they sell the stuff in every corner...and what's it cost....Aha.....lol.....J/K....

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Every gas station around here carries it. I have tried it a few times, it seemed to make my car run like crap. My imagination?

manystangs

SVT Poster
Established Member
Ethanol is actually just as good as regular gas, the only problem is most ethanol blended products have a lower octane rating than most SVT products can use. However, that doesn't stop me from putting ethanol in the old company car! I would second the use ethanol statement!!! (I have too, I'm originally from Iowa, the corn capitol of the US)

94RedCobra

Established Member
It takes a "flexible fuel vehicle" to run E85; but any gasoline engine can safely run the ethanol blends (10% ethanol). The same goes for diesel engines; they are capable of running biodiesel with no adverse effects.

Ripper

And Then Some............
Established Member
I think that northern ky only has Ethanol Gas ! IS ethanol gas the same as reformulated. Because in Campbell County where I live they make us buy reformulated. Then if you go a state over you buy regular non reformulated. Car runs a 100 times better on the old gas than the new reformulated gas. Sorry I have no clue about this but I have to agree.. The only reason the middle east even has any sort of relations or why we support those back stabbing pieces of crap Saudi Arabians is because of oil.

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
No way in hell would I put that utter GARBAGE in any vehicle I owned!

Not only does it produce less energy output (10% lower MPG & HP/TQ) but is unstable for any high performance applications.

If the wife's simple Cavalier (2.4L DOHC programmed for 87 octane) it lowered gas mpg from the normal 32-33mpg to 27-28 mpg (yes over 15%) on a 1000 mile test run of straight highway driving. Expect much worse results in mixed driving.

The few times I was FORCED to run it in my Conquest TSi (high boost turbo) Even turning the boost level down could not stop the detonation it caused. MPG & performance again plummeted.

Ethanol does produce less BTU than regular fuel. This is one of the MAIN reasons why it produces less hydrocarbons (pollution) This is also why you must burn a lot more and it produces less power.

So basically you have to use ~10% more fuel to do the same driving but it's only 3-4% cleaner. You figure out the math there. :rollseyes
On top of that you drop significant performance as well.

Great idea in theory, terrible execution!!!

94RedCobra

Established Member
If it is so bad for performance, then why are all of the racers using ethanol? Also, go back and check out the article about the Super Stallion concept mustang. It was able to make fifty more horspower when it was on ethanol because it was less prone to detonation and could sustain higher levels of boost.

My real point is that we are supporting Americans and not Middle Easterners.

shadow

got snake ?
Established Member
You can get the stuff here in Cali
And what a great product it is:
Worse gas milage
Loss of hp
Costs more
WOW, I sure am glad the sell the shit

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
I always run 89 Octane which is Ethanol based in my Grand Marquis. I can NOT however run it in my SHO, it pings like a mo-fo and I bet any of the guys with S/Ced vehicles like '03's and L's will have the same problem.

-Zach

Blackshoe

Intimidator
Established Member
94RedCobra, If you are so intent on "supporting Americans and not Middle Easterners", then sell your Cobra and buy a bicycle. "Americans" also drill for it, pump it, haul it, refine it, haul it again and sell it. I for one am supporting all of those Americans. The Middle Easterners got lucky that the lifestyle that Americans developed depended heavily on a resource that they possess great quantities of. That's life. And our "way of life" is worth fighting for, along with pre-emptively removing Saddam Hussein before he gets his hands on a man-portable suitcase nuke. Yeah, it's about oil. It's also about shouldering the responsibilties of being the only nation on Earth right now that can protect the rest of the planet from nuclear annhiliation. Now that's environmentalism! *gets off soapbox*

94RedCobra

Established Member
Sorry to hear that a lot of you guys can't get 91 and 92 octane ethanol blends. We've got it here in MN so that is what I choose to run.

Blackshoe

Intimidator
Established Member
Originally posted by 94RedCobra
Sorry to hear that a lot of you guys can't get 91 and 92 octane ethanol blends. We've got it here in MN so that is what I choose to run.

:thumbsup: Good for you bro. You run what you want. I didn't mean all that to sound like I was flaming you personally. You have a good cause. It just gets me going when people think cutting our oil consumption won't cost American jobs. :mj:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Originally posted by 94RedCobra
If it is so bad for performance, then why are all of the racers using ethanol? Also, go back and check out the article about the Super Stallion concept mustang. It was able to make fifty more horspower when it was on ethanol because it was less prone to detonation and could sustain higher levels of boost.

My real point is that we are supporting Americans and not Middle Easterners.

I agree support Americans and American products whenever feasible:thumbsup:

But race cars that use ethanol fuel are designed to run on alcohol and the engines are formulated with ethanols combustibility and BTU in mind. Gasoline powered engines arent.

I read a feasibility study two years ago that showed we do not have enough corn available to make enough methanol to replace our dependence on petroleum. And even if we started growing corn on all the available land where it could be grown successfully, it still wouldnt be enough. That is why it is only an additive right now and not a viable alternative to petroleum.

Users who are viewing this thread