I've got $3k to spend on my new home theater... Give me suggestions

CompOrange04

Just livin the dream...
Established Member
As the title states... We just built a house and I am setting up my home theater in the basement. Please let me know what is the best projector, screen and surround sound setup in my budget. Thanks!

FordMustangLove

Lame-o
Established Member
gizmodo has some good reviews on budget 720 and 1080 projectors, prepare for the svt x brand is better than y cause his cousins uncles brothers y brand blew out

The AVS Forum is where you need to be. Alot of smart guys there that can help you.

exactly, svt is def not the place to get info on audio\video

Last edited:

tistan

Established Member
$3k isn't very much to work with for everything you want. $3k just will buy you a good receiver and decent speakers

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
3K to spend on audio and video won't get you a whole lot, especially if your room is a decent size. I mean you could do...okay i guess...but not that great. Anyways...

1. what are the room dimensions?

2. You said basement...any windows or light in there?

3. What will your seating distance from the screen be?

Last edited:

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
god my wife would kill me lol, she almost killed me for spending 2.4k on a KB lol

3000 for quality entertainment for the whole family for many many years seems more reasonable than 2400 for an unnecessary air compressor upgrade for a car. :lol:

Zak Attack

Huge Member
Established Member
I have an Optoma HD65 (IIRC, its been hanging up for 2 years now).

Sony Surround Sound setup
Blu-Ray
Xbox
Uverse

I kinda peiced it together myself, but it works and I get to watch TV bigger than most people ever will.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Samsung Series 7 I got came with a full set of Surround Sound and wireless crap.

Last edited by a moderator:

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Panasonic PT-AE4000U Projector Package Deals For Your Home Theater

I got this projector last year at this time with this screen and I love it. HD is crystal clear. Mostly Blu-Ray movies, Call of Duty, UFC, and Football/Hockey. My room was kinda makeshift but its 22'L x 13'W and did some light management with dark carpet and flat black walls. A projector will not be like a TV where you can watch it at noon with the sun peeking through your windows. You will get your money's worth if you can do something to manage the light (even light from the projector, hence the black felt frame).

Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K Review - AV receivers - CNET Reviews

I put this receiver with it because it was well priced and I didn't need a monster because of the room size. Now you are at about $2800.

Energy Take Classic 5.1 Review - Surround Speaker Systems - CNET Reviews

I first went with similar speakers because of the price (Energy take5, not classic) but I wasn't impressed with the bass from the 8" sub. The speakers are not bad but this will fit your budget and do an ok job, just don't expect concert hall quality from the little speakers. Save some money and just upgrade speakers next year.

Also, save some $$ for cables unless you already have them all. 25-50 ft of HDMI will run you some coin as will 100-200 ft of speaker wire and a surge protect power strip. Good luck.

Last edited:

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
The AVS Forum is where you need to be. Alot of smart guys there that can help you.

There is almost too much info over there though. You can eat up some serious time just searching for your needed info. Nerds are way worse about eating up bandwidth than gear heads.

boatcop1

Established Member
LOL quite a few years back i spent close to 8k on a theatre. Sony,Klipsch, Dennon components. The theatre was stupid impressive hell i had $600 just in cables (which is shit really in the theatre realm). Then i realized i/we barely ever used it to its capacity or even close to its capacity. Sold everything last year for 6k and bought a Bose theatre (one of the bigger ones) and it is all i/we need and sounds incredible.

For 3k you can put together a nice starter system and then just upgrade when you can.

i would look into Klipsch Reference series loudspeakers.

A really good entry Reciever can be had for around $700-800 I recomend Onkyo 705 or 805 series

Projectors are expensive bro so going with a projector and a somewhat decent sound system is going to be tough with that budget.

Like said before the size of the room is hugely important. Good luck

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Panasonic PT-AE4000U Projector Package Deals For Your Home Theater

I got this projector last year at this time with this screen and I love it. HD is crystal clear. Mostly Blu-Ray movies, Call of Duty, UFC, and Football/Hockey. My room was kinda makeshift but its 22'L x 13'W and did some light management with dark carpet and flat black walls. A projector will not be like a TV where you can watch it at noon with the sun peeking through your windows. You will get your money's worth if you can do something to manage the light (even light from the projector, hence the black felt frame).

Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K Review - AV receivers - CNET Reviews

I put this receiver with it because it was well priced and I didn't need a monster because of the room size. Now you are at about $2800.

Energy Take Classic 5.1 Review - Surround Speaker Systems - CNET Reviews

I first went with similar speakers because of the price (Energy take5, not classic) but I wasn't impressed with the bass from the 8" sub. The speakers are not bad but this will fit your budget and do an ok job, just don't expect concert hall quality from the little speakers. Save some money and just upgrade speakers next year.

Also, save some $$ for cables unless you already have them all. 25-50 ft of HDMI will run you some coin as will 100-200 ft of speaker wire and a surge protect power strip. Good luck.

I wouldn't start recommending components as we have no clue how large the area is. He could use a 50" or need a 65". He could get by with a small setup like the Energy Take's or need a much larger soundstage to fill a big room. As far as cables, Monoprice all day long!! You won't need to save that much at all actually haha

There is almost too much info over there though. You can eat up some serious time just searching for your needed info. Nerds are way worse about eating up bandwidth than gear heads.

HEY! I'm one of those nerds! I've got more posts over there than I do here but its the other big thing I'm into. Can't wait until I get out of college and into a house to really start setting up a dedicated AV room

LOL quite a few years back i spent close to 8k on a theatre. Sony,Klipsch, Dennon components. The theatre was stupid impressive hell i had $600 just in cables (which is shit really in the theatre realm). Then i realized i/we barely ever used it to its capacity or even close to its capacity. Sold everything last year for 6k and bought a Bose theatre (one of the bigger ones) and it is all i/we need and sounds incredible.

For 3k you can put together a nice starter system and then just upgrade when you can.

i would look into Klipsch Reference series loudspeakers.

A really good entry Reciever can be had for around $700-800 I recomend Onkyo 705 or 805 series

Projectors are expensive bro so going with a projector and a somewhat decent sound system is going to be tough with that budget.

Like said before the size of the room is hugely important. Good luck

Now I don't mean to be a dick...but if you spent almost 8K on your audio system and it was composed of Sony and Klipsch, you got screwed...HARD! Denon makes VERY nice AVR's but Sony and Klipsch are garbage, sorry. Sony doesn't make anything worthwhile and Klipsch make speakers that are overly bright and harsh to 99% of people, they're just good for getting loud personally. That does explain why you were happy with a Bose system though haha. I won't even start on BOSE...ugh.

Hopefully the OP will post back up!!

Users who are viewing this thread