I've been out of the loop for a while...what did I miss?

TheHolyCobra

Widened 10th Wheel Guy...
Established Member
Like the title says, I've been out of the loop for a while. I detailed cars heavily in the past (no rotary, just the good ol' PC), but 2 years ago I kinda got out of it with my busy schedule.

Now I am swinging back into things, cleaning the dust off my PC, and getting out all the products again. :beer:

Anyways, what did I miss within the last 2 years or so? Last product that I remember coming out was Optimum Hyper Compound (which I think was 2 years ago or so), and then I stopped following this section of the forums.

Any new products, processes, or ways of doing things?

New microfiber breakthroughs, new polishes, new synthetic/natural wax, etc.?

Last edited:

TheHolyCobra

Established Member
Menzerna PO106FF, Opti-Seal, Zaino CS, Optimum No-Rinse, Ultimate Detail Machine... to name a few.

So those are the major things that came out and have really hit the market well? Looks like I will have to do a little research...

Few questions:

Menzerna PO106FF
What makes PO106FF so good? Any opinions about it? I did a little research and found out that it has super tiny abrasives...does that mean it is the strongest polish available to date that can be used with a PC? Keep in mind I am only a PC user so no Rotary use for me...

Opti-Seal
This stuff looks VERY interesting. Who here has used it? It seems like you could seal the paint and then keep applying this every so often just like Optimum's spray car wax. Which would be better, the spray wax or Opti-Seal?

Ultimate Detail Machine
Now this I am very interested in. What makes this so much better then a PC? I see that it has a higher AMP motor, but is it really that much more powerful? Any increased risk of burning the paint with it?

Last edited:

danponjican

Established Member
PO106FF was designed for the new ceramic clear clear cloats that Benz started using a few years back. Now Nissan and other auto manufacturers are using similar nano technology to get an ultra hard CC. PO106FF (Nano Polish) was designed to have the cutting power to handle these clears and yet it finishes down better than anything I've ever seen.

OS: Pretty much does exactly what it says, wipe it on and walk away. One of th emost durable sealants you can use. Has a bit of a learning curve though in that you have to use it so sparingly otherwise it streaks. Once you get that down, it is great.

UDM, again, just the PC.... improved. The stronger motor just gives it more cut. Just imagine your PC with a speed 7. The only other notable improvement is that is does vibrate your arms a bit less (more balanced).

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
The only way i can describe menzerna personally is that it works like a $50 polish should...as for the UDM, if you got a PC i wouldnt worry about the UDM, its basically a Porter Cable with a little more power to it. Also Duragloss products seem to be fairly popular, and im happy with them.

TheHolyCobra

Established Member
The only way i can describe menzerna personally is that it works like a $50 polish should...as for the UDM, if you got a PC i wouldnt worry about the UDM, its basically a Porter Cable with a little more power to it. Also Duragloss products seem to be fairly popular, and im happy with them.

So is the Menzerna actually worth it? Right now my arsenal consists of all of the Optimum Polishes (Polish, Compound, Hyper Compound) along with the SSRs (1, 2, 2.5, and 3).

I don't actually own the PC, it is my neighbors. He has since stopped using it, and I am the only one that has actually used it within the past couple years. I might pick up a UDM here in the future.

Tell me more about this Duragloss stuff...what is it and where can I find it?

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
The Duragloss is generally found at Carquest and online.

Really the best thing they make is the Aquawax. Its a super easy to use spray on sealant that is strong enough to be a standalone product. Works well on lighter colors and for those of us that get lazy in the cold of winter.

Optimum still has its place; but long working times come with them when using a PC. Still good stuff.

The SSR's are still around and nice. Pinnacle XMT mimics them and they actually work/finish down a bit nicer. Also less dust than SSR.

I can't say I'd bother with a UDM unless you intend on returning the PC to your neighbor.

Menzerna has touched up their line and though pricey; they still work outstanding overall. Sun is really their only nemesis.

OS is a nice sealant; but considering your car is TR; I'd stick with a nice carnauba.

Basically everyone has run around trying to make their products more user friendly and achieve the same or better results than before.

Chemical Guys also has brought out a few things. I think Jetseal and ONE topped the list.

Optimum Protectant is supposed to be nice stuff...I'll be trying it next when I'm done with PB Natural Look. I'm not a proponent of its Cherry pepto smell.

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
PO106FF was designed for the new ceramic clear clear cloats that Benz started using a few years back. Now Nissan and other auto manufacturers are using similar nano technology to get an ultra hard CC. PO106FF (Nano Polish) was designed to have the cutting power to handle these clears and yet it finishes down better than anything I've ever seen.

So this stuff finishes down better then the well loved Optimum Polish... ?:shrug:

TheHolyCobra

Established Member
Thanks for the reply mblgjr! :beer:

I guess I will have to get all my stuff out come spring time and do the car up for the following season.

I will give OS a try on a buddy's car, and I will see if I can get a small sample of the PO106FF to try out too. As far as the UDM, I will probably end up getting one...I imagine that he will want it back someday, so I guess I can't keep it forever.

As far as this CG stuff...how good is it? I remember SVTCobraR (IIRC) preaching about it a while back, but I never got around to trying any of their stuff...

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
CG is like any other company really. Some products stand out; but none of 'em are really "bad".

JetSeal, Citrus Wash, ONE, ProDetail plus 1Xcarnauba along with their Leather conditioner are really standout products.

Black4592

Established Member
I have a UDM and love it, My buddy gary and I detailed my car, he had a PC I had the UDM, They car looks equally great in the areas he and I did. What seems to be the general consensus is, if you don't have a pc then buy a UDM .If You have a pc don't bother upgrading. I love the results I get with the UDM, menzerna 106ff, and an orange pad :)

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
If i were you, id buy the PC off your neighbor and save the $ for other things. Same with Menzerna, if you already got all those polishes...just use them till there gone and then see what menzerna is about.

Also the duragloss line is some of the best bang for the buck stuff. Their #105 sealant has ridiculous durability. I work at a car wash and powerwash/hand wash my car once a week and when i hose it off the right way, i can almost dry the hood without a towel it beads that well. it has some drawbacks: it may not look as good as other sealants (i like it tho, its personal preference) and it does take longer to cure then others. Read up on Autogeek.net and Autopia.com ...theres many great products out there.

Users who are viewing this thread