ITT Tech

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
Has anyone attended this school and what are their thoughts. Im looking to getting my Associates and my Bachelors In the IT field. ALthought now that im enrolled im starting to second guess my decision to go to ITT Tech vs a traditional school. Main causes for not attending traditional school is most of my classes would need to be online. Due to not having time to go sit in class 3 nights a week. How are degrees valued in the real world vs traditional college degrees? Any insight would be greatly appricated.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
5 things that lead to success in the IT field

#1 Experience
#2 Experience
#3 Experience
#4 Certs and/or formal education
#5 Experience

This is jmo and my experience

OneManWolfpack

Established Member
From the various threads I've seen in Roadside when it comes to these "Schools," I've heard that once again it is experience. I've also heard people say that are a waste of time and money.

Just my opinion.

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
From the various threads I've seen in Roadside when it comes to these "Schools," I've heard that once again it is experience. I've also heard people say that are a waste of time and money.

Just my opinion.

I know experience plays a HUGE part in the IT field. However to get your foot in the door espically into Govt work training and degrees matter first and foremost. You will not even be considered a candidate if you dont have any training

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
Has anyone attended this school and what are their thoughts. Im looking to getting my Associates and my Bachelors In the IT field. ALthought now that im enrolled im starting to second guess my decision to go to ITT Tech vs a traditional school. Main causes for not attending traditional school is most of my classes would need to be online. Due to not having time to go sit in class 3 nights a week. How are degrees valued in the real world vs traditional college degrees? Any insight would be greatly appricated.

I have been in the education field for some time now and have held several different positions. Do not attend ITT Tech, they're a Nationally Accredited School which means that if you get and A/S and try for a B/S down the road your credits may not transfer, the same goes for a B/S to an MS/MBA.

Also, in today's day and age, you will not be able to get your foot in the door in the IT field without a Bachelor's degree. I would do more research on schools and try to find one that it Regionally Accredited, i.e a University.

If you have specific questions feel free to PM me.

coop33

Established Member
Do not attend ITT Tech. They are a joke! I went to that school for 8 months and finally got tired of being jerked around. Everything they tell you in orientation is awesome but things change when you start attending classes. Venom is correct, hours don't transfer..

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
Never heard anything good about ITT. I had a recruiter in my house when I was 17, which was 13 years ago, and he literally tried to hardball me into going there. They must get some sort of cut. I went to a 2 year technical school locally and am doing just fine now and make more than many of the engineers I work with.

hunterp

Established Member
Never heard anything good about ITT. I had a recruiter in my house when I was 17, which was 13 years ago, and he literally tried to hardball me into going there. They must get some sort of cut. I went to a 2 year technical school locally and am doing just fine now and make more than many of the engineers I work with.

I believe most if not all of the for-profit schools offer their recruiters a commission, so yeah, you're going to get the hard sell. Knew someone doing just that for University of Phoenix.

Bronze123

Established Member
^

Go to a community college.

x2. You can get a two year degree there and then transfer to a four year school. Be a hell of a lot cheaper, and if you aren't 100% sure on your career path, you may change it along the way.

MT0911

Established Member
Go to a community college and then transfer to a regular 4 year school. ITT is not needed imo. I've been in the IT field for some time now and I can say that experience and technical certifications are where it is at. If you want to get your foot in the door - get some certifications and start applying. Keep working on your degree though because that is of course very important. What field in IT are you interested in?

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Do not do it....bro tried it, dropped out because he figured out it was a joke after I already told him and didn't.....he still owes $14k...

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
What others have said.....Go to Community College or 4 yr University! You'll get a lot more bang for your buck! Plus things can transfer if you further your education or change majors....ITT is rip off and crazy expensive for what you get out of it imo...

98slowbra

Established Member
Also, in today's day and age, you will not be able to get your foot in the door in the IT field without a Bachelor's degree. I would do more research on schools and try to find one that it Regionally Accredited, i.e a University.

I would have to disagree with you here, I do not have my BS degree and I have been in the IT field for 18 years now and I do make over $80k a year. Do not get me wrong having a BS degree will help you out big time but EXP is also huge.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
actually you and I got into the business when talent was looked at harder than degrees. It is not like that now. a LOT of jobs require at least a BS before they will even talk to you if you are just entering the marketplace.

I would have to disagree with you here, I do not have my BS degree and I have been in the IT field for 18 years now and I do make over $80k a year. Do not get me wrong having a BS degree will help you out big time but EXP is also huge.

98slowbra

Established Member
actually you and I got into the business when talent was looked at harder than degrees. It is not like that now. a LOT of jobs require at least a BS before they will even talk to you if you are just entering the marketplace.
This might say it all.

If it is like that now I would say then get your 4 year degree. I know my wife did not have her BS in IT but I told her to get that and she did, also got her masters. Now she is a Director and makes a hell of a lot more then me. I do not want the manager or director positions, I like the hands on and keep up with tech world. To move up I would say get your 4 year then masters. In my wives company every director has their MBA. If I had to do it all over again, I would get my 4 year then go for my masters. I know for my 2 kids I will push 4 year degree like anything.

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Like everyone said, ITT is a joke, you can't transfer to schools and/or use any credentials. My brother went there for his BD and never came to use. Most of the stuff he "learned" he had known from experience. Not sure how much he is paying all I know is that its been almost 4 years since he went and still paying for it. His current job has no need for his degree and is making over 100k.

Also have heard that a lot of jobs don't care for an ITT Tech degree.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I went to ITT for two years while I was already working in the field. I just wanted to get A degree to say that I did. Their campus was right across from where I was working, and classes were 3 nights a week, so it fit perfectly with my schedule.

That said, I learned nothing while there, it was just one big review. Like I said, I had already been in the IT field for 3-4 years before going there, so maybe it isn't that way for everyone.

Was it worth it? Hmm..... maybe. Has it helped me get jobs? No, almost every employer I've had said they would've hired me, degree or no degree. Would I do it again? Probably. Sure, when people ask where I went to school, it isn't very prestigious to say "That IT school on TV," but it's better than than answering with my high school. It was a goal of mine to have some form of secondary education, just to say I did, so it fulfilled that role.

Last edited:

igotyofire

Established Member
Does anyone know of any of those type of tech schools that are good, or will that depend on the field? Ive been interested in the topic since I saw the PBS Frontline College Inc & my confidence in an alternative route has been shaken. It seems traditional school system is still the most successful route to furthering ones self. The problem imo is the rising school cost & cutting of class sizes is making those systems problematic themselves

[youtube_browser]otK7lKPzA9Y[/youtube_browser]

Users who are viewing this thread