It's Dyno Time!

jsimmonstx

Established Member
Going to tune carb and put the beast on the dyno tomorrow. We'll finally be able to answer the question - "So, how much power are you making?"

Here are the car's particulars:

2012 Mustang:

- 427cid windsor
- Compression - 10.5:1
- Trickflow Stage 3 hydraulic roller cam with 1.7 rockers
- AFR 205 58cc heads
- QuickFuel 850 mech secondary carb
- Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake
- MSD Ignition (Pro Billet distributor, 6AL2 control module)
- Headers with 1-3/4 primaries
- 3.73 gears
- Tremec Magnum 6-speed manual
- 93 octane gas
- Car has A/C and hydraulic power steering

The dyno is a Mustang in-ground unit, and we'll be taking it up to 6500 RPM.

I'm hoping for *at least* 450 RWHP.

Anyone care to make any predictions about how much the car will actually make?

There will be videos of at least the first and last runs.

mhyjek

Established Member
Can't wait for videos and #s
My prediction which is total shot in the dark 475 whp 460 wtq

jsimmonstx

Established Member
So far, we're at 439.3 hp, and 456 lbft. It's falling over at about 5600rpm. First thing we're gonna check tomorrow is the fuel pressure (to make sure we're not sucking the bowls dry).

Current settings:

Primary jets = 70
Secondary jets = 79
Accel pump cam is pink 2-in-2
Power valve = 3.5 (7.5-8 inches of vacuum)
Hi-speed air bleeds = 33
Idle air bleeds are 74 (I think)
Squirters = 33
Timing = 8 initial, 36 total

Any recommendations regarding fall-over would be welcomed.

I'll post the videos tomorrow.

CPRsm

Is it leaning out? If not don't worry about the pressure. It's pretty easy to keep a carb fed. If it is check the vac reading at wot. You have a small power valve. Possible to pull it shut if the carb is a restriction. Hsab's look fine to start. Intake is a little on the small side for that size engine. Cam degreed?

jjd975

Established Member
Just out of curiosity why not the 225 AFRs and 1 7/8 headers? Can't say much about the carb or intake always been a fuel injected guy.

jsimmonstx

Established Member
Yeah, it's leaning out right at the end. I also forgot to mention that when we start the run, it goes real fat unless we roll into it slower. We have a small power valve because the idle vacuum is only 7.5-8. Agree on the intake, and yes, the cam is degreed.

Mark Aubele

Established Member
Intake definitely holding you back on a 427, I have one on a mild 351 and it barely lost any low rpm torque over a standard Performer. Cam specs?

jsimmonstx

Established Member
It's a TrickFlow Stage 3 hydraulic roller.

Video of final run:

[video=youtube;gcMsXagwMbA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcMsXagwMbA[/video]

jsimmonstx

Established Member
Well... Any updates?

Nope. When I get a chance, we're gonna check out what the vacuum did near the end of the run. Since the car went lean at 5600, I'm thinking maybe the vacuum came back up enough to shut off the smallish power valve. Either that, or the OEM fuel pump simply isn't up to the task. One or the other...

The AFR 205's (and the Trickflow cam) were chosen because the original plan was to build a 408. When I changed my mind and decided to get the Dart block and go to 427, we should have re-evaluated the head/cam choice. Future plans include 225's, and changing from the hydraulic cam to a solid with at least .675 lift and shaft-mounted rockers. That ain't gonna be for a while though. The car needs paint, tires, and a new windshield (I got three rock chips two days after buying the car new - I've been driving angry ever since).

After a couple of months of daily driving the car, the wife started adding up gas receipts - three fill-ups per week (or four if i went went to any car meets on the weekend) at $50 a pop. She decided that a car payment would be cheaper, so she bought a 2011 F150 Super Crew (with only 16k miles on it for $19k) and I inherited her 2011 Explorer. That means the Mustang has been relegated to garage queen, so it's time to start saving money for a paint job.

Finally, I've been eying the 8-stack fuel injection setup from Ingelese. It's super sexy looking, but it'll cost about $6k to buy, install, and tune.

Users who are viewing this thread