It's clutch time

Justntym

She likes my snake!
Established Member
Long time no talk guys! Once again I need your help!! I believe my throw out bearing is starting to make some noise and it definitely needs replaced. Since I have to perform operation on my ride, I am going to replace the clutch and am considering a performance flywheel. First what clutch would you all recommend? Second----what about the flywheel and will it make that big of a difference in performance? I searched around in the forums first but would rather here it from you all. Thanks in advance for your input. By the way, got some new wheels the other day and sold the others. I'll post some pics up for you guys. THey are Ruff Racing wheels

Twistedoffpurp

Established Member
cobrapwr said:
I think you would be more than satisfied with a Spec Stage 3. Very responsive and handles abuse well.

+1 I'm running this clutch with a fidanza AL. flywheel. It's worknig good so far.

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
With your mods I'd recommend the 03-04 Cobra clutch kit which includes the aluminum flywheel. It's a nice combo, reduces some rotational weight and it's got all the clamping force you will need and still has a stock pedal feel.

If you just want to replace the clutch and pressure plate and keep your stock flywheel go with a Spec stage 1. I'm making over 400rwhp and leave on slicks at 6,500 and my stage 1 is holding up well.

01 Cobra

Whine "O"
Established Member
i've got an 03/04 cobra flywheel with a centerforce dual friction. with no more power than i make it would be overkill to get a stage 3 or even a dfx clutch. i love my setup.

crunchie12268

Established Member
I really liked the Centerforce II... never tried the others though. I did cut the weights off the CFII cuz it seemed to shift easier. (Yeah I had to take it out twice because I didn't replace the pilot bushing and a week later it went south.)

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
I went with a Spec II and Spec aluminum flywheel .... You MUST do the alum flywheel ....

Less mass = very good!

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
i had spec III and 03 cobra aluminum flywheel on my last 01...loved it..

just got another 03 cobra flywheel, and since my clutch is only a few months old w/ very few miles, i'm gonna keep it in there when i put this flywheel in soon..

Justntym

She likes my snake!
Established Member
I think I am going to go with the 03/04 cobra clutch and flywheel! I need the throw out bearing too! Where would you all recommend I purchase it from? What should I expect from the flywheel? Is it going to be a big difference in performance? Thanks again for all of the advice!!

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
there is a local place here that sells the 03 cobra kit for like 325...should be able to find it somewhere for similar...BTW just got my 03 cobra flywheel surfaced this afternoon for 10 bucks...sweet...probably put it in the next available weekend...

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
im going with factory stock or King Cobra. No need for any hard grabbing clutch at my power level. If anything itll hurt me then work with me. but an aluminum f/w is going in too

slick4_6

Established Member
viperbluelx said:
With your mods I'd recommend the 03-04 Cobra clutch kit which includes the aluminum flywheel. It's a nice combo, reduces some rotational weight and it's got all the clamping force you will need and still has a stock pedal feel.

If you just want to replace the clutch and pressure plate and keep your stock flywheel go with a Spec stage 1. I'm making over 400rwhp and leave on slicks at 6,500 and my stage 1 is holding up well.

+1 I went with the spec stage 2 and love it but if I had it to do all over again, a stage 1 would have been fine.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Just an observation/question... When you start playing with the rotational mass on your well balanced motor, doesn't that throw the balance of your motor off? Would it not be a good idea to pull the motor and do both a new flywheel and crank balancer to match? Wouldn't this put uneven wear on your main bearings?

This is just a fear of mine when thinking of doing the aluminum flywheel.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
sur_real1 said:
Just an observation/question... When you start playing with the rotational mass on your well balanced motor, doesn't that throw the balance of your motor off? Would it not be a good idea to pull the motor and do both a new flywheel and crank balancer to match? Wouldn't this put uneven wear on your main bearings?

This is just a fear of mine when thinking of doing the aluminum flywheel.

your engine is internally balanced, and the flywheel is indexed...can only be installed in one orientation...

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
That is a cool design. How are our engines internally balanced? Just curious now as I am new to Modular motors.

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
I've got the oppurtunity to buy a Spec Stg. II for $150. Would this be a decent replacement for stock that wont kill my tranny? I am mostly stock with CAI and a Predator Tune. Also are the Cobra clutches 10.5" or 11"???

Users who are viewing this thread