It's almost Steak Sunday @ Uncle Meat's!!!

Coiled03

Established Member
The beef in that video is true Japanese A5+ grade Wagyu. There are less than a dozen restaurants in the U.S. that can actually get the genuine Kobe ultra high end stuff. However a comparably version is available on Amazon for $445.00 (Two 21oz Strip Loin (New York) Steaks)

Am I reading that right? $445 for two New York strip steaks?

You have got to be ****ing with me.

Imatk

Established Member
I didn't even know what souse vide meant until I read this thread.

Went to check out one of the souse vide things and there doesn't seem to be much consensus on which one to get.

And does it really take 2 hours to make steaks?

331 LX

Established Member

Went to check out one of the souse vide things and there doesn't seem to be much consensus on which one to get.

I bought an Anova 3 or 4 years ago and use it 2-3 times a week. They have excellent customer service so I'd stick with them personally. Monoprice has one a bit cheaper and they do the same thing.

To answer your question, it depends on the thickness really. I typically never go over 2 hours on a nice thick cut ribeye and then either torch it or sear it in a piping hot cast iron skillet. Also, like UM did you could use a chimney starter with a grate. I like either of the 3 but If I don't want to get out in the cold I'll do cast iron or the torch.

Salmon and pork chops are a thing of beauty done sous vide, especially thick bone in chops. Salmon takes about 45 minutes and I cook it at 113 degrees.

I have also done a full beef tenderloin in just over an hour. One is done Med Rare and one Medium with a sear on the cast iron.

35518257500_b68b6a8c34_h.jpg

35518257460_c81c1910c8_h.jpg

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I sous vide mine and sear it in a couple of different ways depending on my mood. Sometimes on a cast iron surface, other times I do it on a screaming hot charcoal fire. The important thing is to sear it at the highest possible temperature you can create. Last time I did it over a charcoal chimney
I'm waiting on my first sous vide stuff to be delivered to me. Never done it before but you sold me with your pics in the past. Any tips? What's good besides steaks? Thinking of corned beef for St Pats.

RX1Cobra

Established Member

I know it's not the best but it's got OK reviews. This is my first time trying it so I didn't want to sink a ton of money into it. If I use it a lot I'll get a better one if this breaks. If I don't I'm not out much money at all. Got 50 bucks in my setup.

I got a slightly different vacuum sealer but https://slickdeals.net/f/11311191-g...4-79-amazon?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

And got this cooker. Offered him 40 and used PSTARTEARLY coupon code on Ebay to get it for 32 bucks. Can't beat it for that price.

https://www.ebay.com/i/122525569472?chn=ps

Imatk

Established Member
I got an Anova off Ebay... 1st gen without the bluetooth. I don't want to have to deal with my damn phone when it comes to cooking :)

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I'm waiting on my first sous vide stuff to be delivered to me. Never done it before but you sold me with your pics in the past. Any tips? What's good besides steaks? Thinking of corned beef for St Pats.
I highly recommend this channel. on YouTube entitled "Sous Vide Everything". https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpFuaxD-0PKLolFR3gWhrMw

I'm going to try a brisket here in the near future. Will smoke it on low for 3 hours on my Camp Chef and then pull it off and put it in the Sous Vide for 60 hours. <- yes 60 hours, not a typo.

U.M.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I got an Anova off Ebay... 1st gen without the bluetooth. I don't want to have to deal with my damn phone when it comes to cooking :)
I'm 90% sure mine has the bluetooth and I think it's incredibly pointless.

It's a set it and forget it cooking style. I don't even understand why it would need bluetooth in the first place, just to verify the temp hasn't been adjusted by the cat?

I highly recommend this channel. on YouTube entitled "Sous Vide Everything". https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpFuaxD-0PKLolFR3gWhrMw

I'm going to try a brisket here in the near future. Will smoke it on low for 3 hours on my Camp Chef and then pull it off and put it in the Sous Vide for 60 hours. <- yes 60 hours, not a typo.

U.M.

I have a buddy who did a brisket for Thanksgiving. It was his first try and when he moved it to the grill to crisp up the outside it caught on fire pretty bad but man it was delicious.

Zemedici

Established Member
wish i knew how to cook like this....but with me not being able to taste (botched wisdom teeth surgery), i will just eat junk food forever. lololol

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Couldn't agree more! My Anova has the BT built in also and it never gets used. The unit beeps when it has reached its set temperature and it runs at that temp until you power it off. The BT is a waste.

U.M.

331 LX

Established Member
Couldn't agree more! My Anova has the BT built in also and it never gets used. The unit beeps when it has reached its set temperature and it runs at that temp until you power it off. The BT is a waste.

U.M.

The only way I can see this being beneficial is leaving for work and keeping the steak or whatever you are cooking in ice water, and then starting it an hour or two before you head home from work.

I've never done it, but that's the only way I see it being a benefit. I've never used my BT in 4 years either.

RX1Cobra

Established Member

I wanted one with wifi just so I could turn it on from work and have it ready when I got home. But in the end decided it wasn't worth the extra money. Bluetooth is dumb. If I'm close enough for BT I'm close enough to walk over and check it.

U.M.

Cool, thanks man!

Users who are viewing this thread