itchin for a kb

:decepTion:

Established Member
So I'm really wanting to kb my cobra but I was wondering what does it all take besides the kit for a safe conservative dd setup? My cobra as of now has bilstein shocks and springs an its brace, subframe connectors, 4.10 gears steeda tri-ax short throw cc plates MAC prochamber and flowmasters no cats and that's pretty much it. Is there anything that I would need other than the kb kit for my car that I need to properly and safely run it? I may only go for 5 lbs of boost possibly 8 max any suggestions/experience that can give me input just want to see what you guys say before I talk to Hans at deans performance

-maybe better for being posted in the kb section, ignore this thread

Last edited:

K2AHollywood

Established Member
A fuel system and a good tune.

Not entirely true. Op for those power levels, at only a couple PSI a new tune will be all you need. At 8psi I would add the BAP so you don't make your fuel pump. Although I want to say their smallest pulley produces 8psi anyway...that's whats on mine

01yellercobra

Established Member
He would still need to upgrade the injectors. I'm not saying he needs a twin pump set up, but I would upgrade the fuel pump. Personally I prefer to stay away from the BAP.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
ive been running the little 1.7L Intercooled KB since 2004 and couldn't be happier

i am seeing 9.5psi after the intercooler...care makes 468/414 on 14 degrees of timing
the only problem i really have is my 90mm Lmaf is very very close to being pegged

oh and def get the BAP if you don't decide to upgrade your stock pump

Established Member
They don't make the 2.2 or 1.7 anymore think its only a 2.1 now that they made more efficient I believe and I think the lowest is 5 psi that's where I got that number from on the kb website

01yellercobra

Established Member
Just remember if you go with that kit you can't go any bigger. You're stuck with that one blower. If you have dreams of going bigger you'll need to do an eaton swap first.

Established Member
Just remember if you go with that kit you can't go any bigger. You're stuck with that one blower. If you have dreams of going bigger you'll need to do an eaton swap first.

That kb said it is good up to 750 rwhp or something like that I would just need to buy other parts for it but I'm not looking to have to build my bottom end and etc right away

01yellercobra

Established Member
That kb said it is good up to 750 rwhp or something like that I would just need to buy other parts for it but I'm not looking to have to build my bottom end and etc right away

I'd take that with a grain of salt. If the 2.1 could do 750rwhp then guys wouldn't need to step up to the 2.8's and bigger.

Established Member
I'd take that with a grain of salt. If the 2.1 could do 750rwhp then guys wouldn't need to step up to the 2.8's and bigger.

Idk it said rated to 750 HP but I don't think the 2.8 is offered for our 01's I could get the interposed kit and boost 9 lbs till I have enough for rods and piston but for now that's a little out of my range to do at once

01yellercobra

Established Member
Idk it said rated to 750 HP but I don't think the 2.8 is offered for our 01's I could get the interposed kit and boost 9 lbs till I have enough for rods and piston but for now that's a little out of my range to do at once

I was referring to the 03/04 guys. They usually have to step up to one of the the bigger blowers to make that kind of numbers. My buddy has an 04 with ported heads, Crower cams, and a Whipple 3.4 at 26psi making 740rwhp. That's why I said to take it with a grain of salt.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
if you dont have plans to get another sports car in the next few years... then supercharging it is the way to go at around 8 ibs you should be seeing at least 450 rwhp which is plenty for the stock set up on the 01. You said it was your dd and this would be the best way to make it faster and still be able to drive it all the time.
plus it would sound a lot better!

if you plan on making big numbers down the road then you need to put some more thought into it.

Established Member
if you dont have plans to get another sports car in the next few years... then supercharging it is the way to go at around 8 ibs you should be seeing at least 450 rwhp which is plenty for the stock set up on the 01. You said it was your dd and this would be the best way to make it faster and still be able to drive it all the time.
plus it would sound a lot better!

if you plan on making big numbers down the road then you need to put some more thought into it.

I would be plenty happy with 450 :)

01 Venom

Established Member
Def upgrade your fuel system, most 99-01s are running out of fuel already with just a tune up top. The stock one is just not gonna cut it, and why mess around? For a small investment you can save your whole motor.

Established Member
Def upgrade your fuel system, most 99-01s are running out of fuel already with just a tune up top. The stock one is just not gonna cut it, and why mess around? For a small investment you can save your whole motor.

what do you mean by a small investment i can save my whole motor u mean by upgrading the fuel system?

i was lookin on the kb website and the 5 lb kit seems like its exactly what i want except i do want it to be inter-cooled and i cant find out how or where that part is to be ordered im guessing maybe it isnt offered with the 5 lb kit?

Last edited:

01 Venom

Established Member
yes if you dont upgrade and you run out of fuel you can detonate and destroy the whole motor. Why risk that?

I dont think the 5lb kit comes with an intercooler, and yes you want that.

I have had my Eaton for like 5 years now with no issues

Established Member
yes if you dont upgrade and you run out of fuel you can detonate and destroy the whole motor. Why risk that?

I dont think the 5lb kit comes with an intercooler, and yes you want that.

I have had my Eaton for like 5 years now with no issues

oh i will for sure upgrade my fuel system i dont want to run anything risky at all. are you running your eaton with the stock trans? it can handle it? is there anything else i may be needing to change or will everything else be pretty much solid?

01 Venom

Established Member
yep stock trans, I did upgrade the clutch but I destroyed the stock one before the Eaton anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread