It is time for ... SUSPENSION!

04MC

Established Member
I plan on doing springs very soon H&R Race and would like to get some advice on whatelse to do while I am doing the springs that would not be too expensive? Suggestions welcomed!

Thanks

wheelhopper

Established Member
For the H&R race springs you will probably need new struts and shocks. If you don't want to spend that kind of money yet buy a used set of H&R sport or Steeda springs, differential bushings, and subframe connectors, if you don't have them.

I know having the race springs seems like it would be better, but, the stock shocks and struts won't make it possible for you to get the full benefit of the springs. Don't take my word for it, ask MM. I did this research already.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I did my race springs and MM FLSFC's within a day of eachother and I couldnt be happier. The drop with no iso's is perfect. There is no noise at all. The ride is only a bit stiffer than stock but the car handles flat as can be like I put huge swaybars on it but I didnt.

The stocker billsteins that come on the cobra are great. The only way I will upgrade is if I go with adjustable's and right now I dont feel a need to. This next winter my IRS will be pulled and rebuilt with the MM kit but for now the FLSFC's and springs were a huge improvement.

Here are some pics of the car before the drop and after the drop.

before

after

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
04MC said:
I plan on doing springs very soon H&R Race and would like to get some advice on whatelse to do while I am doing the springs that would not be too expensive? Suggestions welcomed!
I would say at a bare minimum do IRS subframe bushings because you'll probably need to drop the IRS to get the rear springs out anyway. If you're planning on doing control arm bushings later, pull the upper control arm bolts out and reverse them while the IRS is down so you'll be able to remove them from the other side (head on inside) later.

04MC

Established Member
Thanks for all the tips. So no noise at all with no ISOs? You removed all of them and didn't install anything, but just the springs? I have a hard time believing you have no noises at all ... even when you go over speed bumps?

wheelhopper said:
For the H&R race springs you will probably need new struts and shocks.
Don't take my word for it, ask MM. I did this research already.

Curious who did you talk to there and what did they recommend you to replace your factory billsteins with?

Last edited:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
04MC said:
Curious who did you talk to there and what did they recommend you to replace your factory billsteins with?
They would probably recommend Cobra R or sport-valved Bilsteins with those springs. Honestly I would just try the springs by themselves and leave the shocks/struts alone and see if that meets your goals. Because changing the shocks/struts will definitely have an adverse effect on ride quality.

Users who are viewing this thread