It Happened to Me!!!

99E.GreenCobra

Established Member
A couple of weeks ago, a day before my birthday:eek:I was laid off.
I know sadly this is happening throughout the country but for me, it was a monumental shock.
The birthday was my 61st (one of the oldsters on svtperformance:lol:) and I have been at the same job for 38 years, prior to that I worked 2 years, so I had worked 40 years straight. Fortunately for me, though the chain was recently bought out my time was honored and thank God received a lenghty severance plus there's unemployment so this will bring me closer to 62 when I did want to go, but on my terms, oh well.
Also, my wonderful and way younger than me wife has a well paying job to help pay our very big mortgage.
I had been in QA for most of that time, worked in a lab but lately spent the day in a refrigerated warehouse, walking miles in a day(don't miss that nor do my creaking bones).
I tell you , the 1st few days was hard, feeling sad, guilty and in utter disbelief.
I am grateful for what I have and know many are way worse off. There's plenty to do plus some volunteer work I want to do and maybe part time work, we'll see.
And oh, car show season is upon us and now there's a lot of time to detail.:lol:
Thanks for listening.

ssssnake

Established Member
Man, my sympathies. I understand your feelings of utter shock and disbelief. I wouldn't feel guilty though. It had nothing to do with you. You gave them a lifetime of work, something to be proud of. It's just the times. At least they did compensate you for a job well done. I'd say relax, enjoy a bit of free time and then if you want, go look for another job. 60 is still a little young to retire. God bless.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
dang mang. That sucks but at least you are just about to retire anyway. If I were in that position I think I might actually be happy lol. Early retirement!!!

99E.GreenCobra

Established Member
Thanks all, actually I am allowing myself to be a little more happy each day. Just alot of paperwork and will feel more assured when I see checks coming in and all future pensions and insurances are in order.
Maybe in a couple of months I'll give a "woohoo":lol::lol:

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
Thanks all, actually I am allowing myself to be a little more happy each day. Just alot of paperwork and will feel more assured when I see checks coming in and all future pensions and insurances are in order.
Maybe in a couple of months I'll give a "woohoo":lol::lol:

Yeah man you will be ok. Mostly people go through a big shock when it comes to big changes but then realize ........ oh shit everything is actually going to be ok.

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
That sucks but atleast you will get to enjoy the fruits of all that hard work throughout the years. We wish you well :beer:

IH8GM

Not so New SVT Poster
Established Member
38 years damn thats a long time , so what you got a week a year severance? I have a hard time staying at a job 3 years could not imagine the time invested.
It also sounds like you got over it pretty quickly i applaud that, i know i couldn't.

99E.GreenCobra

Established Member
you still have a mortgage at 61? what happened?
:lol:about 3 years ago my in laws moved in and virtually we re-built the house plus my wife is great, wanted this and deserves it.
Wife is 13 years younger than me and works very hard and hopefully will be working awhile.
Incidentally last fall, wife had another dream and was able to fulfil it at that time a..............2009 HD sportster. She's very cool:coolman:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Time to take up fishing! It seems like you have a great outlook on life, so your life will most likely have a great outlook. Wishing you the best!

-Jeff

bluestang41505

Established Member
A couple of weeks ago, a day before my birthday:eek:I was laid off.
I know sadly this is happening throughout the country but for me, it was a monumental shock.
The birthday was my 61st (one of the oldsters on svtperformance:lol:) and I have been at the same job for 38 years, prior to that I worked 2 years, so I had worked 40 years straight. Fortunately for me, though the chain was recently bought out my time was honored and thank God received a lenghty severance plus there's unemployment so this will bring me closer to 62 when I did want to go, but on my terms, oh well.
Also, my wonderful and way younger than me wife has a well paying job to help pay our very big mortgage.
I had been in QA for most of that time, worked in a lab but lately spent the day in a refrigerated warehouse, walking miles in a day(don't miss that nor do my creaking bones).
I tell you , the 1st few days was hard, feeling sad, guilty and in utter disbelief.
I am grateful for what I have and know many are way worse off. There's plenty to do plus some volunteer work I want to do and maybe part time work, we'll see.
And oh, car show season is upon us and now there's a lot of time to detail.:lol:
Thanks for listening.

I feel ya man, my dad is 64 and my mom is 66, im 22. When the economy went to shit my dad had to close his practice, and we very quickly went bankrupt and got foreclosed on. Now we live off my moms teaching pension, and the few hundred dollars a week my dad makes at wal mart. Prayers are with you and your family

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
At your age it's time you enjoyed life a little. With your severance package and your wife's income you need to find yourself some low key income source that puts some funny money in your pocket, before you know it you'll be eligible for SS. Life's good!!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread