It had to happen, BUT

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
I didn't think it would so soon...

FAKE 03 SNAKE.. Saw it yesterday parked at BEST BUY.

I don't think it went straight from a 2002 GT to a 03 Cobra.

I think it was a fake 01 Snake and then went the extra steps to be an 03.

Black color...

03 Wheels F1's
03 Rear spoiler. Looked like the factory unit.
SVT emblem on the rear
Snakes on the fenders
After market front facia. Not exactly like the 03, but had the round driving lights.
No IRS.
Rear facia still said MUSTANG? Hello...
I couldn't see well inside with the tinted windows, but I think it had the 03 shifter knob.
White gauges, but not SVT.
Lowered. A little lower than stock 03.
01 Cobra hood.

If I had the time, I would have waited for the owner. They probably would have flipped out with a real 03 parked next to them.

I will say, the car looked good. I don't think the paint was factory. It looked too good.

I see a lot of fake snakes and Saleens. What is the purpose folks?
:shrug:
It's like kissing your sister...

Mac..

03DOHC

Established Member
I haven't figured it out yet either. Doesn't make sense to me. Their car though.:shrug:

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
Originally posted by Mac03Cobra
I didn't think it would so soon...

I see a lot of fake snakes and Saleens. What is the purpose folks?

Mac..

When I got my first Cobra I wanted to send it to Saleen and have the wheels, suspension, body kit etc..... The total came out to be like 47,000$$$$

I bought all the parts myself and did the work. I saved 9,000$ and there was no difference between my 98 Saleen Cobra and me buying it from Saleen. The only difference is that I saved 9,000$ and my rear end is still intacted...:coolman:

jdub03

Established Member
Man, I have been there and done that with the replica thing. I bought a 99 GT because I wanted a stang. On the way home, I saw a Saleen and was overwhelmed. Form that point on I went crazy:

Bodykit, wheel, hood, side scoops, blower, gears, wing, graphics, plaques, seats...

When all was said and done, I have an extremely nice looking car with some power, but it was not worth anything. For the money I spent, I could have purchased an authentic car for about the same price and I would not have lost my "arse" when I sold it to get the Cobra.

No regrets though. I will never again produce a replica, I will save my money and buy it from the dealer.

Joust my .02

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
I think that makes the best point. You can BUY every part you need to make a GT into a Cobra. In the end, it most likely cost you more and guess what?

You have a GT with Cobra parts that's probably worth no more than a GT.

I see some REAL bad fakes. The worse I've seen, and I don't think the guy was trying to fool anyone, but he had the regular emblems on the fenders with the Cobras underneath. 15 inch stock wheels and tires still. SVT on BOTH sides of the rear deck. 6 shooter of course. It made me smile...

I agree with the Saleen piece. I would even think of getting the ground effects for my 03 down the road. But, I would not try and play it off as a Saleen. Just an 03 with some nice add ons. No window banner. No Saleen badging at all.

Mac...

Last edited:

Elliotness

Established Member
Originally posted by Mac03Cobra

I agree with the Saleen piece. I would even think of getting the ground effects for my 03 down the road. But, I would not try and play it off as a Saleen. Just an 03 with some nice add ons. No window banner. No Saleen badging at all.

Mac...

My sentiments exactly. However, I will do the perfromance mods first......

auyon

svt freak
Established Member
well what can I say. I kept hearing about a silver 01 lightning around town that kept getting his ass kicked by everybody, even the ricers. my brother raced him in his v6 stang and kicked his but. than he told me it was a v6. this guy did it all, exep what counts.. the motor.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> I see a lot of fake [Cobras] and Saleens. What is the purpose folks?

Personal preference and taste. I would prefer my '03 sans stamped rear fascia and fender emblems.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by ox03
> I see a lot of fake [Cobras] and Saleens. What is the purpose folks?

Personal preference and taste. I would prefer my '03 sans stamped rear fascia and fender emblems.
Why?! That's how it came from the factory. How can you say you prefer something that has never existed?:??:

Anyway...

Last edited:

Dpres1

Every Man's Rival
Established Member
Ther's a black V6 Mustang in my area w/ the complete Cobra R kit minus the motor (of course) and of all things the wheels (still stock, base V6 wheels/tires!!) I think you should be required to have a valid VIN to purchase SVT parts.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> Why?!...That's how it came from the factory.

Stock exhaust, shifter, air filter and pulleys are factory supplied as well =>)

> How can you say you prefer something that has never existed?

Sans referring to my desire to custom fill and paint the rear fascia and emblem guide holes.

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
Personal preference and taste

That's cool, then they should get the real thing.

I fully understand someone wanting a snake and being a little tight on Green stamps.

So mod what you have with the money you have. But why try and make it look like something it's not? That's the confusing part.

For the money some spend on creating a fake snake, they could probably buy a used one or use the $'s to make theirs look good with some personal touches. JMHO...

Mac....

Happy 03

Established Member
I put a "Cobra" on the side of my Lightning and people would always ask if I had the Cobra motor in the truck. Also, they did not know Ford made a "Cobra Lightning". I always thought that was funny.

Z06_2002

www.HighSpeedDriving.com
Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
Some people are all show, no go.

Just take it as flattery. They wish they owned your car.

Agreed, line'em up and let's go!

:beer:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by ox03
> Why?!...That's how it came from the factory.

Stock exhaust, shifter, air filter and pulleys are factory supplied as well =>)
Easier to change the shifter than the rear bumper!

> How can you say you prefer something that has never existed?

Sans referring to my desire to custom fill and paint the rear fascia and emblem guide holes.
Your car!:p ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread