IT guise get in here

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
So its been a while since i "bought" music, been just listening to Bob&Tom or the local rock station while driving, and now that my PC is moved into our spare room I didnt want a cord running across the room so I hooked it up via wireless and its been pretty trouble-free so far.

However just right now i noticed that when my torrents are downloading, I cant browse the internet. What will happen is my website will stop refreshing the chat window (giving me an audible error beep), and then ill refresh it which will fail out. I can try to visit or open another page which results in failure. That same instant the torrent will drop connection as well and zero out, but once it zero's out. Now if im still trying to load a page the torrent wont try to start back up until the page i was loading is done refreshing, in which point the torrent will start again.

Now at the same time if my PC is having issues refreshing and the torrent drops out, i can still have all my other wifi devices functioning just fine and they experience no network issues.

Im still on WirelessG using the router that came with Comcast (NetGear WGR614v9). Should I upgrade my router to N? The reciever has almost line-of-sight to the router and im maybe 15' away (i have a usb extension that puts it as close as possible).

Router has the most updated firmware (first thing I tried). Any pointers?

Mayo5

Established Member
Sorry, I'm pretty damn tired but from what I understand in your post is that your wired connection to your router is running torrents and you aren't able to browse the web at the same time; but your wireless connections(extra laptops/phones) are?

I assume your main pc, will have first priority, so I'm thinking you are choking out the modem/router. You can adjust bandwith usage for the torrents so it will not destroy all of the other bandwith. I'm probably wrong but for some reason I remember hearing that a wireless router will allocate a certain amount of bandwith per prioritization, so you may be just choking out that connection while the others are not. Or they could be picking up additional signals/networks.

I think the number for wirelesG is around 50ish, and I want to say for N it is supposed to be 2/3 times that speed. I believe N was developed for utilizing multiple connections as well. They do run at different frequencies. You can find routers that will operate in different wireless ranges as well. I would recommend one of those.

What modem are you running? Is it one from Comcast? If so, I would HIGHLY recommend upgrading to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, and maybe even a new router. The 3.0 is available in your area, and it is a huge difference in speed. It is also very cheap, I picked up a Motorola modem for a littler under $70 from New Egg.

You can take it with a grain of salt, I know there a few network engineers on here, whom could probably help further.

Last edited:

Satyr

Established Member
I used to have this type of problem on my wired connection, and I still sometimes do. I have attributed it to a shitty connection, because when I use the connection at my parent's house and do the same stuff, I never lose my refresh capabilities.

I realize that isn't any help...but...

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
what other wifi devices do you have? More computers or are you talking cell phones and such?
Like the guy above me said, it sounds like all or most of your connection speed is going to the torrents (which is weird) but possible i guess. How many torrents are you downloading at a time? Just a few or hundreds?

Also you should try using Frostwire instead of torrents.

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
Wireless G is 54 MBPS, most of the time you cant even fully utilize the throughput of the router due to the fact your average connection speed(provider speed) most likely isnt near 54mbps.

Upgrading to wireless N isnt as easy as just throwing it in. Your devices will have to support it as well, and if your not running true N on your network and mix N/G, N can only stay in the 2.4ghz range and not the 5ghz range where the speed and throughput of N really shine. you will have more throughput, i think the limit for mixed N/G is 150MBPS, but as stated if your internet connection is not 150mbps, then you wont see a full benefit.

go to speedtest.net, run the test and post what your results are. It is possible your provider has a shitty speed and you are pushing the connection to far at one point in time.

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
Now at the same time if my PC is having issues refreshing and the torrent drops out, i can still have all my other wifi devices functioning just fine and they experience no network issues.

Didnt notice this before my other post. what type of machine is it? Laptop/desktop? any hardware specs? keep all of the drivers upto date?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Sorry, I'm pretty damn tired but from what I understand in your post is that your wired connection to your router is running torrents and you aren't able to browse the web at the same time; but your wireless connections(extra laptops/phones) are?

I assume your main pc, will have first priority, so I'm thinking you are choking out the modem/router. You can adjust bandwith usage for the torrents so it will not destroy all of the other bandwith. I'm probably wrong but for some reason I remember hearing that a wireless router will allocate a certain amount of bandwith per prioritization, so you may be just choking out that connection while the others are not. Or they could be picking up additional signals/networks.

I think the number for wirelesG is around 50ish, and I want to say for N it is supposed to be 2/3 times that speed. I believe N was developed for utilizing multiple connections as well. They do run at different frequencies. You can find routers that will operate in different wireless ranges as well. I would recommend one of those.

What modem are you running? Is it one from Comcast? If so, I would HIGHLY recommend upgrading to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, and maybe even a new router. The 3.0 is available in your area, and it is a huge difference in speed. It is also very cheap, I picked up a Motorola modem for a littler under $70 from New Egg.

You can take it with a grain of salt, I know there a few network engineers on here, whom could probably help further.

I have my old gaming rig which i used to download torrents to hooked up via wireless. Not the best but I dont use it often anymore (mostly just play 360 nowadays, which is the only device hardwired to the router).

Let me try to explain it better. It will be running a single torrent download at around 800kb/s download (perfectly fine by me, though i do miss seeing 1-2mbps at my parents house on their connection). The second I try to open a page (say svtp), the page will not load and i can watch the torrent crash to 0kb/s. At that point, the page i was trying to load will pop up, and when completed the torrent will start back up (until i click another page in which the process will repeat, torrent will zero out, and page will load, the torrent will start back up). The same time the torrent is crashing and the page isnt loading on the PC, I can jump on my phones wifi and have no issues loading pages.

I never had this when the PC was hardwired.

Ill look into a DOCSIS 3.0 but im pretty satisfied with my internet speed as a whole, its just the connection between PC and Router over wireless that seems to be the issue. I think one of my buddies has a spare linksys wirelessG (He upgraded to N but due to range IIRC) I could try to see if that has better results.

not a huge deal, as im pretty sure its just the router, just kind a a "huh, thats interesting" moment for tonight.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Wireless G is 54 MBPS, most of the time you cant even fully utilize the throughput of the router due to the fact your average connection speed(provider speed) most likely isnt near 54mbps.

Upgrading to wireless N isnt as easy as just throwing it in. Your devices will have to support it as well, and if your not running true N on your network and mix N/G, N can only stay in the 2.4ghz range and not the 5ghz range where the speed and throughput of N really shine. you will have more throughput, i think the limit for mixed N/G is 150MBPS, but as stated if your internet connection is not 150mbps, then you wont see a full benefit.

go to speedtest.net, run the test and post what your results are. It is possible your provider has a shitty speed and you are pushing the connection to far at one point in time.

I doubt its the connection from my ISP (comcast) as it has no issue doing the torrent to the PC at one time and viewing the rest of the internet through other wireless devices (iPhone) at the same time. Its just when viewing the internet AND torrents at the same time on the PC connection, it shits bricks for ONLY the PC connection. Like i said, all other connections are un-affected when the PC's connection (torrent or pages) drops out.

Didnt notice this before my other post. what type of machine is it? Laptop/desktop? any hardware specs? keep all of the drivers upto date?

My old gaming rig (still kicking strong)

AMD 3.0ghz dual core 6000+ w/a big ass fan.
DFI mobo
4gb DDR2
BFGtech 8800GTXoc
650w PSU
lots of HDD's
Vista Ultimate x32

Ill have to check drivers tomorrow.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Try downloading the torrents on another machine and try to browse and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread