It’s been a while but I’m back

BCICAN

Established Member
No problem! I understand your frustrations @BCICAN.
Ok so the headlight situation is fixed . I couldn’t find any broken wires and the things that were acting up didn’t seem to be connected . Horn not working , blinkers acting crazy and it had been having issues starting so I looked on the ford service website I payed for 3 days and found ground wire schematics ( I have never in my life had to do this ) so I started with the grounds because those wire schematics didn’t look as jumbled . Which with those I found where all of those random symptoms were linked even thought they seemed to be in a completely different area . I found that the blinkers , horn , all headlight and clutch pedal position switch all had one thing in common . Ground 104 and it was looser than it should be and that ground is a PIA for me to get to so I had to take driver side front tire and wheel well cover off so I could use both hands to help get it in position to tighten down like it should be. Now it’s tight like it should be and the horn works , all the lights work and the blinkers aren’t freaking out anymore lol. I haven’t driven it yet but Now the only thing I’m left with is the U0401:81-0A at one point the think car was saying ground ? Not sure if that’s right but the think car is giving me that code and telling me that
FDIM front display interface module,
GPSM Global Positioning System module and IPC instrument panel control module
Aren’t communicating so from what I have learned at thins point is it could be a bad connector or a ground so I went back to the wire schematics like I did with the headlights to see if those things had a point where they all connect and they do . I found it looks like those things all share ground 202 and S210 . So my question is where is ground 202 and what is S210 ? I found ground 104 because someone had said in a different forum where it was , I am really new at all of this I got my first obd reader last October . This is the very last of all the codes and I want to take care of it too . I fixed all the others myself after I had taken to to Ford service too many times to count and paid mechanics for something they couldn’t figure out so I am determined to get it completely done lol

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok so the headlight situation is fixed . I couldn’t find any broken wires and the things that were acting up didn’t seem to be connected . Horn not working , blinkers acting crazy and it had been having issues starting so I looked on the ford service website I payed for 3 days and found ground wire schematics ( I have never in my life had to do this ) so I started with the grounds because those wire schematics didn’t look as jumbled . Which with those I found where all of those random symptoms were linked even thought they seemed to be in a completely different area . I found that the blinkers , horn , all headlight and clutch pedal position switch all had one thing in common . Ground 104 and it was looser than it should be and that ground is a PIA for me to get to so I had to take driver side front tire and wheel well cover off so I could use both hands to help get it in position to tighten down like it should be. Now it’s tight like it should be and the horn works , all the lights work and the blinkers aren’t freaking out anymore lol. I haven’t driven it yet but Now the only thing I’m left with is the U0401:81-0A at one point the think car was saying ground ? Not sure if that’s right but the think car is giving me that code and telling me that
FDIM front display interface module,
GPSM Global Positioning System module and IPC instrument panel control module
Aren’t communicating so from what I have learned at thins point is it could be a bad connector or a ground so I went back to the wire schematics like I did with the headlights to see if those things had a point where they all connect and they do . I found it looks like those things all share ground 202 and S210 . So my question is where is ground 202 and what is S210 ? I found ground 104 because someone had said in a different forum where it was , I am really new at all of this I got my first obd reader last October . This is the very last of all the codes and I want to take care of it too . I fixed all the others myself after I had taken to to Ford service too many times to count and paid mechanics for something they couldn’t figure out so I am determined to get it completely done lol
S210 is a splitter (Wire splits (Branches) from a point in the harness)

16907277223241032339428359322955.jpg

View attachment 1803415

BCICAN

Established Member

View attachment 1803413

View attachment 1803415
Sorry , This would be a lot easier if I didn’t have so many other things I was doing but things are finally less busy and I have made some positive steps ,I think maybe ? So what I’m thinking at this point is maybe it’s not “really” the IPC that’s the root of the problem , it still acts normal . So I researched the u401:81 code more because the IPC looks like it’s working fine and saw it could be the left front wheel speed sensor . Then I used the think car to scan in a different way and it is telling me even when I’m parked at idle with e brake on that all 4 wheels are going .62 mph . So it made me think because isn’t it unlikely for all 4 wheel speed sensors to be messed up ? Then I saw that wrong wheel speed information can cause the car to go into limp because it confuses the ABS. Then I read on another mustang forum that the output VSS can cause the p0300 code because of messed up information regarding how much air the car thinks it’s getting because it thinks it’s moving but it isn’t . Then it said one of the symptoms of bad VSS was that cruise control won’t work , I never use cruise control because my foot is always in it lol , so I tried it and it didn’t work . Which made me happy because it was supporting my theory Lol so I went ahead and ordered the VSS but it got delayed in the mail. but does all of that seem right to you ? It would explain the last 2 codes the car is getting

Last edited:

BCICAN

Established Member
Sorry , This would be a lot easier if I didn’t have so many other things I was doing but things are finally less busy and I have made some positive steps ,I think maybe ? So what I’m thinking at this point is maybe it’s not “really” the IPC that’s the root of the problem , it still acts normal . So I researched the u401:81 code more because the IPC looks like it’s working fine and saw it could be the left front wheel speed sensor . Then I used the think car to scan in a different way and it is telling me even when I’m parked at idle with e brake on that all 4 wheels are going .62 mph . So it made me think because isn’t it unlikely for all 4 wheel speed sensors to be messed up ? Then I saw that wrong wheel speed information can cause the car to go into limp because it confuses the ABS. Then I read on another mustang forum that the output VSS can cause the p0300 code because of messed up information regarding how much air the car thinks it’s getting because it thinks it’s moving but it isn’t . Then it said one of the symptoms of bad VSS was that cruise control won’t work , I never use cruise control because my foot is always in it lol , so I tried it and it didn’t work . Which made me happy because it was supporting my theory Lol so I went ahead and ordered the VSS but it got delayed in the mail. but does all of that seem right to you ? It would explain the last 2 codes the car is getting

View attachment 1803413

View attachment 1803415
So I ended up taking the car to a place close with good reviews and let them know about the issues the think car was seeing . At least they were honest and told me they could t do it before charging me to do something the car didn’t need . They suggested I take it to ford ugh ford service has been the worst but I asked to at-least let me know which one didn’t suck . So they recommended I take it to a dealer service department 30 miles away so I took it . I let them know the issues the car was having, offered all the records etc . Told them the codes the think car was pulling for me the p0300 and U0401:81 . They kept it overnight First they tried saying it was bad gas and it has a little moisture in it which is highly unlikely because I’m very careful about where I fill up . but they drained the tank it was almost full I was an idiot and filled before I took it to them . So after they did that the car was still having the same issues ,imagine that lol . Then they checked the spark plugs said the gap was off . I haven’t touched the spark plugs myself but considering how many times I have taken It to try to get someone to fix it I wouldn’t be surprised if one of them messed them up . So they replaced the spark plugs and called and told me the P0300 was fixed but I asked about the U0401:81 and they said we didn’t see it so I took it home and scanned it myself . LIES ! I know they saw the U0401:81 code don’t try to tell me the scanners I got on Amazon are better than yours. So I took it to another ford service closer to me and the manager actually listened ,I think, I’m supposed to take it on Tuesday but I told him the issues with the crazy information I was seeing with the think car. I had researched the code more and ,I don’t know why I hadn’t done it before , I did a brake check and the car stops but the ABS doesn’t seem to be working . Which I had been focusing on trying to get the car to pass inspection which it finally did . But saw maxi dot explained the code more , computers can be a huge PIA. Both of the pics I attached are from my phone not able to share the graph data so took a picture lol

Attachments

• IMG_5645.jpeg
    IMG_5645.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5640.jpeg
    IMG_5640.jpeg
    329.4 KB · Views: 32

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
So I ended up taking the car to a place close with good reviews and let them know about the issues the think car was seeing . At least they were honest and told me they could t do it before charging me to do something the car didn’t need . They suggested I take it to ford ugh ford service has been the worst but I asked to at-least let me know which one didn’t suck . So they recommended I take it to a dealer service department 30 miles away so I took it . I let them know the issues the car was having, offered all the records etc . Told them the codes the think car was pulling for me the p0300 and U0401:81 . They kept it overnight First they tried saying it was bad gas and it has a little moisture in it which is highly unlikely because I’m very careful about where I fill up . but they drained the tank it was almost full I was an idiot and filled before I took it to them . So after they did that the car was still having the same issues ,imagine that lol . Then they checked the spark plugs said the gap was off . I haven’t touched the spark plugs myself but considering how many times I have taken It to try to get someone to fix it I wouldn’t be surprised if one of them messed them up . So they replaced the spark plugs and called and told me the P0300 was fixed but I asked about the U0401:81 and they said we didn’t see it so I took it home and scanned it myself . LIES ! I know they saw the U0401:81 code don’t try to tell me the scanners I got on Amazon are better than yours. So I took it to another ford service closer to me and the manager actually listened ,I think, I’m supposed to take it on Tuesday but I told him the issues with the crazy information I was seeing with the think car. I had researched the code more and ,I don’t know why I hadn’t done it before , I did a brake check and the car stops but the ABS doesn’t seem to be working . Which I had been focusing on trying to get the car to pass inspection which it finally did . But saw maxi dot explained the code more , computers can be a huge PIA. Both of the pics I attached are from my phone not able to share the graph data so took a picture lol
Hopefully the dealership can track down the communication DTC U0401:81. Keep us updated. The DTC description has absolutely nothing to do with the ABS/Brakes

DTC U0401:81 Description

Invalid Data Received from the ECM /PCM A: Invalid Serial Data Received

This DTC is set when the IPC receives invalid network data for 5 seconds or more from the PCM for the engine oil temperature and the inlet air temperature data.

Last edited:

BCICAN

Established Member
Hopefully the dealership can track down the communication DTC U0401:81. Keep us updated. The DTC description has absolutely nothing to do with the ABS/Brakes

DTC U0401:81 Description

Invalid Data Received from the ECM /PCM A: Invalid Serial Data Received

This DTC is set when the IPC receives invalid network data for 5 seconds or more from the PCM for the engine oil temperature and the inlet air temperature data.

I hope they can find out what it is this is so frustrating :( . I didn’t think it had anything to do with the brakes either but after I found that one explanation it kinda made sense because my temperatures have been checked by so many places and they have always been fine . The yaw rates and wheel speed sensors are connected to the abs module that monitors the , data right ? Even with key on engine off with e-brake on the car thinks it is moving and the yaw rates are erratic. The car thinks it is going .62 mph even when it is on the lift , the yaw rate data is constantly changing then too even when on the lift . It is highly unlikely that all 4 wheel speed sensors are messed up especially when they all have the same wrong information. It has to be something that they are all connected to . I don’t know what else is between the wheel sensors and the ecu besides the abs module that could do that ? The cruise control doesn’t work either, when I slam on the brakes to check the ABS it didn’t work like expected the wheels just locked up.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
The ABS system is complex and there is alot going on there and is best to let the dealership figure out the issue.

Principles of Operation

Anti-Lock Brake System

The ABS module continuously monitors brake pedal input, lateral vehicle motion and the rotational speed of each wheel. The PCM sends the brake pedal switch information to the ABS module over the High Speed Controller Area Network (HS-CAN) while the Restraints Control Module (RCM) sends lateral acceleration sensor information to the ABS module over a private HS-CAN . Wheel speed information is retrieved by the ABS module using 4 active wheel speed sensors, one for each wheel. When the ABS module detects an impending wheel lock during a braking event, the ABS module modulates brake pressure to the appropriate brake caliper(s) by opening and closing the appropriate solenoid valves inside the Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) while the hydraulic pump motor is activated. Once the affected wheel(s) return to the desired speed, the ABS module returns the solenoid valves in the HCU to their normal position.

I believe your issue could possible be in The AdvanceTrac system.

Stability Control Sensors

The stability control sensors for the AdvanceTrac system include the yaw rate sensor and the lateral accelerometer. The yaw rate sensor and the lateral accelerometer are able to detect and measure changes in vehicle direction that indicate the need for the ABS to make corrections that help prevent vehicle roll over or spin outs. The sensors are housed in the RCM which sends sensor information to the ABS module over the Controller Area Network (CAN)

Good Luck!

BCICAN

Established Member
The ABS system is complex and there is alot going on there and is best to let the dealership figure out the issue.

Principles of Operation

Anti-Lock Brake System

The ABS module continuously monitors brake pedal input, lateral vehicle motion and the rotational speed of each wheel. The PCM sends the brake pedal switch information to the ABS module over the High Speed Controller Area Network (HS-CAN) while the Restraints Control Module (RCM) sends lateral acceleration sensor information to the ABS module over a private HS-CAN . Wheel speed information is retrieved by the ABS module using 4 active wheel speed sensors, one for each wheel. When the ABS module detects an impending wheel lock during a braking event, the ABS module modulates brake pressure to the appropriate brake caliper(s) by opening and closing the appropriate solenoid valves inside the Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) while the hydraulic pump motor is activated. Once the affected wheel(s) return to the desired speed, the ABS module returns the solenoid valves in the HCU to their normal position.

The stability control sensors for the AdvanceTrac system include the yaw rate sensor and the lateral accelerometer. The yaw rate sensor and the lateral accelerometer are able to detect and measure changes in vehicle direction that indicate the need for the ABS to make corrections that help prevent vehicle roll over or spin outs. The sensors are housed in the RCM which sends sensor information to the ABS module over the Controller Area Network (CAN)

Good Luck!
Thanks I agree with you :) . I’m trying to get someone to pay attention and not blow me off . So trying to learn more to be able to explain my situation better. A manager at a dealer service closer to me actually stoped and looked at what I was trying to say and agreed the numbers it was showing aren’t right . I have an appointment to take the car there on Tuesday . Sadly I think this situation has been happening a long time . I didn’t even get my first obd2 until last October after the one shop blew me off and “fixed” something that didn’t need to be fixed Lol . The crazy thing is I live in the Dallas Fort Worth area so there are a LOT of mechanics around here but I have lost track of how many couldn’t figure it out or would even listen to me .

BCICAN

Established Member

Principles of Operation

Anti-Lock Brake System

Good Luck!
Ok so at this point the car does runs but I know there are issues and I want them fixed. The last does place told me he would let me know after he heard back from ford I picked the car up from them on the 29th . They said they were going to contact Ford to get advice but I still haven’t heard anything .
The other Ford service that I took the car to last Tuesday said they can’t figure out what’s wrong with the car it’s a ghost code and they don’t know what’s wrong with the car . I told him that’s BS the code is there and has been confirmed. The manager told me the guy he had working in it has been doing it for 35 years I told him well that 35 years doesn’t seem to be helping him . So I told them to give me back my car it won’t be the first time I had to fix something myself that they couldn’t figure out and I picked it up yesterday. So based on the little I have driven it at this point the car runs fine , the downstream o2 haven’t set yet but the part that is still annoying me is that the car thinks it is moving when it isn’t and the yaw acting crazy and that isn’t normal. I had even tried being nicer this time by not telling them they are F-ing morons like I have done in the past but that didn’t help.

BCICAN

Established Member
Ok so after I picked the car up it pretty much just sat in the garage because everyone is sick here because of something one of the kids brought home . last week I did notice a drip so I put a white poster board under the car where it was coming out on Friday . When I checked it yesterday morning after not even being started all weekend it was more than a drip. I checked the oil again because it wasn’t hot and they had over filled it so I’m glad I didn’t do much other than drive it home after they finished . I had sent the rep a text on Friday but he had not replied so I sent emails to the dealer with pictures of the overfilled dipstick and the white poster board leaks and texted the rep again . I asked him if I was going to have to drain this myself and bring it back because the car had never had a leak for as long as I have had it. So they sent a flat bed and picked it up yesterday. This is why I HATE Ford service .

fearthesnake

Established Member
Ok so after I picked the car up it pretty much just sat in the garage because everyone is sick here because of something one of the kids brought home . last week I did notice a drip so I put a white poster board under the car where it was coming out on Friday . When I checked it yesterday morning after not even being started all weekend it was more than a drip. I checked the oil again because it wasn’t hot and they had over filled it so I’m glad I didn’t do much other than drive it home after they finished . I had sent the rep a text on Friday but he had not replied so I sent emails to the dealer with pictures of the overfilled dipstick and the white poster board leaks and texted the rep again . I asked him if I was going to have to drain this myself and bring it back because the car had never had a leak for as long as I have had it. So they sent a flat bed and picked it up yesterday. This is why I HATE Ford service .
I'm confused, so the dealer did an Oil change while also trying to figure out all the other problems you are having?

I'm surprised Ford sent a flat bed to pick the Car up honestly.

Sorry you are having a litany of problems.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member

how overfull? like PAST the hole above the max hash marks?

BCICAN

Established Member
how overfull? like PAST the hole above the max hash marks?
Yes it’s hard to see in the pic the light wasn’t good and I was holding the dip stick with one hand hand phone with other . But it was defiantly above the top hole
1698349320867.jpeg

I'm confused, so the dealer did an Oil change while also trying to figure out all the other problems you are having?

I took it to a different ford dealership because the u402:81 code is irritating me . The oil needed to be changed because it had been a long time so I had them try to figure that code out and change the oil.

ok so I am still trying to figure out that U0401:81 code so I had taken it to a dealer close to check for that and change the oil because it was due because of the length of time. they couldn’t figure out the u401:81 but they did change oil so I picked the car up and brought home and parked it . Kids have been sick so car had just been sitting in garage , I checked the oil and it was over the top hole and there was a drip . So I called the dealer who did the oil change I told them I am either going to have to drain this oil or you are going to have to have a flatbed come and pick it up . So they sent a flat bed . They tried telling me it wasn’t over filled and that the drip was because the drain plug wasn’t in all the way. I told them it was defiantly overfilled and if you didn’t see it , it was because it had leaked out . The pic is bad I’m sorry it’s been cloudy and rainy so not much light . I told them I had just driven the car home and if there are any issues it is 100% their fault .

Last edited:

BCICAN

Established Member
Sorry responded to you guys in wrong order but they are morons . They tried telling me the u401:81 code was a ghost code . I told them I understand that computers can be a PIA but the ghost code excuse seems like bs to me . But seriously why should I trust that explanation when they can’t even change the oil without screwing it up . I checked the oil again after picking it up the last time and it was lower than it should be but not all the way to the bottom hole I don’t know WTF these people are thinking , I put more oil in it but this is an example of why I hate ford service. When they were towing jt I told the neighbors the car was ok but it’s getting towed away because the people at grapevine Ford service are idiots

Attachments

• IMG_5900.jpeg
    IMG_5900.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

BCICAN

Established Member
Dang, sorry to hear about the issues. I dont know a thing about the Code but does the car drive ok when not overfilled?
Yea it drives ok now. The code seems to confuse most people I had two Ford service tell me they didn’t see the code but that doesn’t make sense to me . my think car pro saw it , forescan saw it and mx+ saw it too . I think they were just lying because they didn’t know what it was but that’s not saying much because they couldn’t even change the oil correctly. The code maybe seems to impact the traction stability control ? It doesn't seem to impact the engine so I don’t think it’s something that has to be done right now protect the car

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread