Issues with Vortech Maxflow RACE BOV

lovebread

Established Member
Hey Guys,

Car has been rock solid and stable for months until just recently.

After doing a quick rush in 2nd/3rd gear hitting shifting around 6k each time and then letting off I heard a pop sound around the hot side of the car. I'm positive its the hot side area, but all piping looks great and the belt is fine.

I've yet to take anything fully apart but from just listening to the car driving around I think the issue is with the BOV. Are there instances in which the BOV won't fully close? I've noticed a massive drop off in the low end torque and the car crawls through 2k-4krpm, but does pick up past 4k. Feels like I'm lugging an anchor around.

My gauge reads normal around town and the blower is definitely working. I'm going to assume the fluttering at high boost is normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
It could be the BOV. I've read about how the oring that seals the valve can fall out causing the valve to not fully seal.

But, you say you are still seeing full boost when you get on it?

lovebread

Established Member
As hard as it is to read on my aeroforce, there is boost well above positive getting close to at least 6 or 7. Not really sure how to measure "positive" boost in hg/ml. I should see 10-10.5psi max due to mods.

Got it up on jacks and none of the pipes seem out of place or disconnected at all, BOV vac tap looks great. No codes, just changed for a new 8qts of 5w-30.

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
If you are only seeing 6-7 then you must be loosing the rest somewhere.
Maybe talk with your tuner. Not sure who yours is but Lund was awesome with diagnosing some of my issues through the data logs

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
Glad you figured it out. Be sure to let us know what was wrong with it or why it wasn't closing when you find out.

lovebread

Established Member
The BOV diaphragm completely collapsed. Vortech said they've never seen it happen before.

For testing we inspected the BOV by clamping the the vacuum tube to the pressure side. There was no change in the BOV but the valve should be fully closed while equal pressure is acting upon it. (and have some clamping force as well). Maybe at high boost the diaphragm just can't hold up.

Really regretting not getting a Tial Q now.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
just get the tial bov its contructed better, i love mine always get compliments. My stock bov is still on as well, but i never hear it any more since the tial install.

tial1_zpsacba1a21.jpg

Last edited:

lovebread

Established Member
I thought this would be the last part to fail.

Unfortunately AED is 3 hours away and I don't want retune remotely. If I go through the trouble of retuning it would be for a torque booster, but I figured that + boss manifold is dangerously close to maxing out my current setup *and* being too hard on the engine.

lovebread

Established Member
I take it most people move to the JPC blockoff + new pipe version over just the uprated Tial Q 50mm in the stock location?

Also no retune is GREAT to know. Saves me a lot of trouble.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
The tial would not fit in the stock location. Your best off with the jpc tial kit and the jpc block off plate. Or you can keep a stock bov in the old location also.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
With the greddy adapter? The stock hole for the bov is alot smaller then the tial. It would work better in a bigger hole the size of the tial.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
It's way easier to access with our Tial kit. Also the flange paxton has on their pipe is way to small for the Tial so by installing our pipe it allows a significant amount of flow.

Users who are viewing this thread