Mmr water pump
Mmr side bolts
Arp head/main studs
Heads decked .030" w/ 5 angle valve job and new stem seals
Stock cams degree'd
Oem 03 Cobra head gaskets
New timing set
Mmr oil pan

Got a noise. Definitely drivers side at the top of the motor near the valve cover on the front of the motor. I'm assuming timing chain tensioner. Doesn't do it unless its been idling for over 10 minutes. Otherwise the motor has no noises other than the typical forged piston sound. Motor is on its first oil change. Motorcraft 5w-20 with Lucas engine break in additive.

Any suggestions? Mechanic that built the motor wants to replace the tensioner and charge me $400 to do it. Is there anything else I can try before it gets to that point? Is that even a fair price? I plan to change the oil today as the car has seen about 500 miles now on break in. Any chance that could fix the issue or am I just wasting oil and money?

Thanks in advance.

Cory

Noreast

Established Member
Thats complete bull shit dude he should fix what ever is wrong for free. My timing chains fell off the cams and the builder actually came to my house to fix it with me. Than an end cap bolt ripped out and he took care of everything only charged me for new rods since I had my originals back in. Is the noise your hearing like a loud chatter noise? I had this when the cam chain tensioner bolt backed out than eventually fell off. Any way of getting a video of the noise ?

97 Nightmare

Established Member
Yes loud chatter. Sounds like a tractor. But only does it after idling 10+ minutes. Give it throttle, the sound disappears until later. I'll try to get video of the noise tonight after I get off work.

Cory

Noreast

Established Member
Alright and that's very strange that it happens after idling. I'm pretty sure if it was a chain tensioner it would be a constant noise from start up

97 Nightmare

Established Member
I put stethoscope on it and definitely is coming from the top on the timing cover. Can hear it the loudest with stethoscope on the top of valve cover right above timing cover.

Cory

98fourvalve

Established Member
First thing I'd do is pull that valve cover off. The drivers side is not to bad to remove. I'd be careful if, I'd hate to see a new motor go over something like that.

97 Nightmare

Established Member
That's why I've parked it since it started. It just doesn't make sense unless its an oil pressure issue that is starving the tensioner on idle. Otherwise I can't see what it could be with it being so hit or miss.

Cory

uberstang1

Fobra
Established Member
Had an issue with a shaved headed b head car just like your are describing but it was constant, and turned out to be some minor scrapping agaisnt the baffle on the underside of the valve cover, put a dent in it and the noise was gone.

Users who are viewing this thread