Issues with my Stang purchase

executiV

Established Member
Here is the story:

I bought my 2013 GT used from a dealer I will refrain from naming at the moment, but it was located in MD. I am in NY, so after negotiating price I drove it home. The agreed numbers included registration and my (NY) state taxes. The person who does registration was out the day I picked up the car, so I called the following day about it and was told it would be taken care of.

Two months later (now) I still have no plates, and the dealership claims they did not charge me enough for registration, said they weren't aware of NY's prices. During the two months I have called and heard various excuses as to why it hasn't been registered yet.

Worse yet, I just opened my CC bill today to find I haven't paid insurance on the car, this is because I had NO insurance on it. They input my insurance info on all the documents I have, but never added this car to my policy, which I thought they did. I looked for my ID cards, no dice. Therefore I drove home to NY from MD without having coverage from my insurance policy.

So I just added the car to my policy, and ran over to Motor Vehicles Dept. to find they have no record of the Stang's VIN, so it hasn't even been processed for registration yet.

My questions:

#1 Is it the responsibility of the dealership to add the car to my insurance policy before I drive off?

#2 Can the dealer charge me additional money for registration after we completed the sale? It appears they are refusing to register it otherwise

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Insurance is your responsibility. As for the other, I'd start going through your paperwork. If both parties agreed on a total price then they SHOULD be responsible for the registration.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
Here is the story:

I bought my 2013 GT used from a dealer I will refrain from naming at the moment, but it was located in MD. I am in NY, so after negotiating price I drove it home. The agreed numbers included registration and my (NY) state taxes. The person who does registration was out the day I picked up the car, so I called the following day about it and was told it would be taken care of.

Two months later (now) I still have no plates, and the dealership claims they did not charge me enough for registration, said they weren't aware of NY's prices. During the two months I have called and heard various excuses as to why it hasn't been registered yet.

Worse yet, I just opened my CC bill today to find I haven't paid insurance on the car, this is because I had NO insurance on it. They input my insurance info on all the documents I have, but never added this car to my policy, which I thought they did. I looked for my ID cards, no dice. Therefore I drove home to NY from MD without having coverage from my insurance policy.

So I just added the car to my policy, and ran over to Motor Vehicles Dept. to find they have no record of the Stang's VIN, so it hasn't even been processed for registration yet.

My questions:

#1 Is it the responsibility of the dealership to add the car to my insurance policy before I drive off?

#2 Can the dealer charge me additional money for registration after we completed the sale? It appears they are refusing to register it otherwise

Why would a dealer in MD take your money to registar the car for you in NY?

executiV

Established Member
Insurance is your responsibility. As for the other, I'd start going through your paperwork. If both parties agreed on a total price then they SHOULD be responsible for the registration.
After realizing it wasn't insured I added it, so maybe I assumed there. We did agree to a total price, now they claim they weren't sure what it would cost to register, and want to charge me the difference.

Why would a dealer in MD take your money to registar the car for you in NY?

I wanted to do everything in one shot to avoid having to go to DMV and honestly I thought I'd get the plates quicker...little did I know that wasn't going to happen.

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
Insurance is your responsibility and most reputable companies give a thirty day grace period assuming you we're previously insured on something else with them.

Registration, well, it's all ultimately your responsibility. Don't trust car dealers.

jbs$

Established Member
These stories never turn out well. Good luck. You may wind up contacting the State Agency that regulates Car Dealers for help in getting your paper work. If you do, tell them the absolute truth about what happen, if the Dealer can pick any hole in your case, they will drop it, so, facts and only facts.

LastChance

Established Member
As others have said, insurance is your responsibility. The way I understand it; when dealer does registration for you the amount they are charging is a guesstimate. They of course usually over estimate and send refund check for difference. I'm guessing they were not aware of how high NY taxes would be and did not charge enough. It does not sound like they are trying to get over, just under charged you. I would just take care of difference and move on. Registration is ultimately your responsibility as well. Good Luck!

KurtDog

Established Member
Most insurance policy's give you a grace period on a new car. I think they are usually ~30 days. Some might be more.

But yes, you need to inform your insurance that you bought a new car. And as others have said, read your contract. If the registration is included in the price, they are responsible in terms of the contract. However, this will probably not fly with any office that pulls you over.

executiV

Established Member
What's strange about it is the taxes are correct, they claim there are additional registration charges they encountered. I would have no problem registering it on my own had I not already paid them to do it, I'll see tomorrow if I can get anywhere with this.

leo2hot4tv

Established Member
If you paid and signed they should take care of it, thus the contract. Else, what would stop them from telling you that they sold you the car too cheap and try to get more money; or on the flipside, you returning the car just because you found a better deal down the road?

executiV

Established Member
The employees are not returning my calls, and each time I called they are "busy with another customer"

I dont have a straight answer on the exact amount they claim I owe, either, which I find strange.

01GTB

Established Member
I bought a new truck in NY and I had to take care of the taxes, title and reg when I got back. I bought the Mustang in Texas and they handled it. Well, they collected. I had to pick up my stuff from the tag office after they sent over the paperwork and funds. Took them over a month to do it though. Just depends on the state. Maybe it just depends on the dealer. After doing it both ways I would rather title it and pay the tax when I got home.

The dealer should have contacted you within a couple business days to inform you of the problem. You need to check with your local DMV and get an idea of how much you should be paying. If you ever get to talk to someone and it looks like you do owe more, pay it. You would expect a refund if you overpaid.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread