Issues with Kenne Bell BAP

Regulars520

Established Member
Anybody have a Kenne Bell BAP fail on them? This is my second BAP that has failed on me. I also had a KB boost a spark fail on me as well. These didnt fail on the same car. I had one BAP fail on my 99 Cobra and a KB boost a spark fail on that car as well. I sent the boost a spark to KB and they told me that it was installed wrong. It was installed by a Dyno shop and worked fine for almost a year.

My recent bap just failed on my 07 GT 500, thing has less than 500 miles on it. Installed correctly was tuned by Don Lasota. I emailed Kenne Bell and two weeks have passed and not a peep from them. Getting pretty old buying $200-$300 electronics from KB to have them fail within a couple hundred miles of use and then get no response from their customer service.

Anybody else have any bap issues?

P.S only one channel has failed. I checked the fuse and also switched out the fpdms. No signal coming from the bap out of that channel.

Anybody have an experience with vmps bap? Its a bit salty but if I only have to buy one and atleast get a response from them it would be worth it.

RBB

Established Member
Can't comment on KB's BAP, but I haven't read of too many failures.

I've been running VMP's PnP BAP for about a year and a half now with no issues. Extremely easy install and works great.

JimIII@jdm

We had a customer in this week who's car had a Kenne Bell and KB BAP installed previously by another shop. Had multiple drive ability issues most of which were fixed after tuning. However the car would not build fuel pressure with key on power immediately, if you went to crank it right away the car would not fire and go into self cranking mode. You had to wait until you heard the pumps turn on, which took a couple of seconds, sometimes longer, sometimes it wouldn't do it at all. It was crazy, so we don't use BAP's here any way but we called the customer got permission to remove it the car was fine and started up like a factory stock car from there on out. Oh and it stopped over fueling so badly in the mid range, picked up about 40 RWHP on 4 degrees less timing and improved about 5+ mpg over previous tuners setup....Again we don't use BAP's here, throw it in the trash.

Car in mention is a 2011 GT500 2.8KB w/ 72# injectors & stock pumps NO BAP (removed by JDM) and it made 750+ RWHP on 16* timing. Dialed back to 14*(winter tune) and made 730+ RWHP and the customer took it home.

Last edited:

KoffyNut

Established Member
^^^ ... and the customer LOVES it !!!

Thanks for all your hard work Team JDM!!!

Top quality work and excellent customer service!!!

I HIGHLY recommend JDM Engineering or all your Ford performance needs!!

Last edited:

Regulars520

Established Member
We had a customer in this week who's car had a Kenne Bell and KB BAP installed previously by another shop. Had multiple drive ability issues most of which were fixed after tuning. However the car would not build fuel pressure with key on power immediately, if you went to crank it right away the car would not fire and go into self cranking mode. You had to wait until you heard the pumps turn on, which took a couple of seconds, sometimes longer, sometimes it wouldn't do it at all. It was crazy, so we don't use BAP's here any way but we called the customer got permission to remove it the car was fine and started up like a factory stock car from there on out. Oh and it stopped over fueling so badly in the mid range, picked up about 40 RWHP on 4 degrees less timing and improved about 5 mpg over previous tuners setup....Again we don't use BAP's here, throw it in the trash.

Car in mention is a 2011 GT500 3.6KB w/ 72# injectors & stock pumps NO BAP (removed by JDM) and it made 750+ RWHP on 16* timing. Dialed back to 14*(winter tune) and made 738 RWHP and the customer took it home.

So heres the question I have. If I remove the BAp will I need to retune it? I am running E85, 2.5 pulley, headers full length, ID1000 injectors.

RBB

Established Member
So heres the question I have. If I remove the BAp will I need to retune it? I am running E85, 2.5 pulley, headers full length, ID1000 injectors.

You will definitely need to retune it. I don't think you'd be able to run E85 without it, though, on stock pumps.

Regulars520

Established Member
Ok so tonight I had some time to go thru the system and see what was going on. I took the BAP off and reconnected it back to stock. Well the problem still existed. I found the FPDM was not putting out a signal, so I found that fuel pump #2 fuse had blown. It was still a 15 amp fuse. Fuel pump #1 however has a 30 amp fuse in it. The car started and ran fine after replacing the fuse. I put the BAP back in and all is well now. So with that said it appears the BAP is still operational.

So lessons learned.
1. Check root power source on these.
2. Kenne Bell customer service in regards to answering emails is sub par in my case. I'm sure that with their help this would have been on a list of items to check before ruling BAP internal problems.

Kenne Bell

Established Member
If you ever have an issue with the BAP to Kenne BEll attention Mike. I will get it tested to see what is the issue. Glad you got it figured out!

Last edited:

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
Ok so tonight I had some time to go thru the system and see what was going on. I took the BAP off and reconnected it back to stock. Well the problem still existed. I found the FPDM was not putting out a signal, so I found that fuel pump #2 fuse had blown. It was still a 15 amp fuse. Fuel pump #1 however has a 30 amp fuse in it. The car started and ran fine after replacing the fuse. I put the BAP back in and all is well now. So with that said it appears the BAP is still operational.

So lessons learned.
1. Check root power source on these.
2. Kenne Bell customer service in regards to answering emails is sub par in my case. I'm sure that with their help this would have been on a list of items to check before ruling BAP internal problems.

I can back up #2. Even today, Mike was great in helping me go faster.

Harry08

Established Member
Mike has been my go to guy at KB for 3 years ever since I bought my 2.8 LC from him . Nothing but +1 customer service either by phone or email. Top notch.

Users who are viewing this thread