Issues stabbing the steering rack

NotSatisfied

Established Member
I got a replacement steering rack and as a result I opted for new bushings. I have a Team Z K member and the rack that I pulled off has offset bushings. When I installed these I did the best I could to orient the new ones in the same “clocked” position. Yesterday when trying to install, it just wouldn’t go on, I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong or if there is a trick to this. I suspect the bushing orientation is just not correct and it’s binding on the mounting poles. Also is it better to connect the power steering hoses first and then stab? Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_0542.JPG
IMG_9819.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

NotSatisfied

Established Member
Some one states that the bushings were originally not correct (from previous owner) and the holes should be on bottom

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I’ll also add, it took a few times to get the bushings lined up properly so the rack would go on. On my cobra I went with solid bushings and it was way easier to install.

NotSatisfied

Established Member
I’ll also add, it took a few times to get the bushings lined up properly so the rack would go on. On my cobra I went with solid bushings and it was way easier to install.

Ok so these are split bushings, two pieces. Should I put the back half of the bushings on the rack first then put the rack on and complete the install by installing the front facing halves? I feel that would be the way to do it. Also do I need to attach the lines to the rack before stabbing it?

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
Ok so these are split bushings, two pieces. Should I put the back half of the bushings on the rack first then put the rack on and complete the install by installing the front facing halves? I feel that would be the way to do it. Also do I need to attach the lines to the rack before stabbing it?

I would attach the lines before (at least hand tight). Then tighten them down after the rack fully seated.

I believe I installed the rear bushings first, got the rack on and then installed the front bushings. It’s been awhile though since I did the install on my GT.

NotSatisfied

Established Member
I would attach the lines before (at least hand tight). Then tighten them down after the rack fully seated.

I believe I installed the rear bushings first, got the rack on and then installed the front bushings. It’s been awhile though since I did the install on my GT.

Thanks a lot! I don’t have the wheels on the car so I imagine the steering shaft will go on with no issue afterwards. Speaking of which I took the interior U joint off the shaft by accident and there was a spring in there that came with it. Any idea if that goes on first then the interior i joint then the shaft?

Last edited:

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
Thanks a lot! I don’t have the wheels on the car so I imagine the steering shaft will go on with no issue afterwards. Speaking of which I took the interior U joint off the shaft by accident and there was a spring in there that came with it. Any idea if that goes on first then the interior i joint then the shaft?

Im not sure on the spring. I would also put the shaft on prior to backing the rack all the way up to the K member. I just did this with my longtubes and I couldn’t put the shaft on without the rack backed off the frame. It could have been me though….

Maybe someone will chime in on the spring.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I like to use a little grease or anti-sieze in situations like this. Makes things slide together easier. And they come apart easier in the future.

I put the back bushing in the rack, slid the rack on, then installed the front bushing. The steering shaft should be able to be installed with the rack mounted. It telescopes towards the firewall. It might be sticky depending on mileage, use, dirt, etc.

I'm pretty sure the spring goes above the U joint.

NotSatisfied

Established Member
I like to use a little grease or anti-sieze in situations like this. Makes things slide together easier. And they come apart easier in the future.

I put the back bushing in the rack, slid the rack on, then installed the front bushing. The steering shaft should be able to be installed with the rack mounted. It telescopes towards the firewall. It might be sticky depending on mileage, use, dirt, etc.

I'm pretty sure the spring goes above the U joint.

Thanks for your help, the shaft came out no problem but the shaft that’s going in is a MM solid piece. Hopefully no issues.

01yellercobra

Established Member
It's been a bit since I looked at my MM steering shaft, but it should still telescope. The solid part is just the lack of the rubber part.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'd reach out to a hydraulic shop before jumping that far. You're not the first person to mess up threads like that. And I'd be shocked if there isn't a tap somewhere that could clean them up.

wckdvnm

Established Member
Wouldn’t there be a way to convert it to maybe a larger diameter with a AN fitting. Worth a shot

NotSatisfied

Established Member
Wouldn’t there be a way to convert it to maybe a larger diameter with a AN fitting. Worth a shot

Interesting. I may pick up another one and repair and sell this one. I don’t have time. Cars been sitting on the pinch welds for 7 weeks now

Users who are viewing this thread