Issue with Steeda X11 balljoints / SLA Boss Comp LCA's

Chris_Red_V8

Shiny.
Established Member
I have a koni strut coming out for replacement, and while I was inspecting the suspension before disassembly, I found a lot of play in the tire while in the air. I was able to move it laterally about 1/4", and I could see the strut move relative with the wheel. I did some poking around and enlisted some help and could see that the ball joint seemed to have some play in it, on both my arms.

They were purchased in June, installed in July and have logged about 4500 miles (spent most of their time in a paint shop, long story). They were greased on install long with the bushings (they have a zerk on the bottom).

I called Steeda for support, they recommended regreasing them. I've done so and the play has tightened up some (to the point where play in the wheel can be felt, but its much more dampened and more like 1/32"), but my concern is that this is excessive, and that from the factory, the tolerance was much more tight (0-0.3 mm (0-0.012 in) per the service manual). Steering did clean up a bit, but now I'm curious how often they'd require regreasing, and how long until the grease is just pushed out letting the void/tolerance just open back up.

Steeda will take the arms in for inspection (I don't have any stockers) or I can buy another set, but I wanted to get some opinions before I move forward. I'm concerned that with just street use, this could be an issue with those balljoints, and they're not a fun part to replace (removing the rack is a huge PITA to get at the front LCA bolt). I have zero track miles on them, and I bought these arms for that specific purpose.

Also, are the balljoints serviceable as in can they be pressed out and replaced should I want to source a different brand? I wouldn't be as concerned if this was just one side, but being both isn't a good sign.

(crosspost for the butthurt)

Chris_Red_V8

Shiny.
Established Member
Video as requested:

From the front of the wheel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPJheREmoFI
(hard to see, but the strut body rotates with the wheel, indicative of something other than the wheel bearings)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkduGvWpx4g

It looks like the arm and tie rod pivot a bit, but I think that's due to the change of the relationship to the spindle.

This is after "regreasing them". Will take the spindle off the balljoint and manually check it for play this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread