Issue with online gaming on a PS3 unit. HELP!

Bad Chariot

Established Member
I am NOT a gamer and after 2 years of ownership just realized a few days ago my PS3 has an internal wi-fi option so I set it all up and have been playing online tourneys on Tiger Woods 2014 Country Club. I am finding about 1/3 of the time, the game is either running real slow or totally freezes on me midplay. I kid you not I have had to reset my machine at least 6 times in the last 2 days.

Is this common issue? Other times it runs flawlessly.

Also I used to be able to hear people talking via headsets. I went thru the steps of registering my Jabra BlueTooth but I can't get it too work. Could someone give me a "dumb it down" tutorial how to set it. I am sort of an idiot when it comes to these things. It is registered, I went to FRIENDS> Start a New Chat, made sure the Jabra is recognized but this is where I am lost after that.

On that note I was playing with a guy and I could hear everything he was doing/saying. I was ROFL because he was cussin me out for good shots and he sounded VERY overweight because he was a SERIOUSLY heavy breather, he was snorting like a pig. I was crackin up the whole game.

Zemedici

Established Member
also how far is your router from the playstation? in addition, what type of NAT setup do you have?

Lets try this, what kind of router do you have?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Is the unit actually freezing, or are you losing your connection to the playstation network?

If you're using a wireless router and there are other wireless networks in your area, it's possible that interference is causing your wireless signal (and connection) to drop out momentarily. This will cause some games to kick you out or lock up.

Here's a link with information on how to fix that.

http://www.werockyourweb.com/your-wireless-connection-dropping

Adjust your wireless router settings

Lower the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) from 1500 to 1492 or less (usually found on your router's main/ basic setup page)
Adjust the following advanced wireless settings:
Lower the beacon interval from 100 to 50
Lower the fragmentation threshold from 2346 to 2306
Lower the RTS threshold from 2347 to 2304

Bad Chariot

Established Member
Ok well the wireless Router is the standard one for Verizon Fios. I live in a 2700sq foot home, the router is on the 1st floor, the PS3 is in a 2nd floor family room. I am using a Wi-Fi extender to boost the signal upstairs. I use a laptop up here ALL the time with zero connection issues. I also have my smartphone on to Wi-Fi only in the house. Changing the location of anything is NOT an option.

So it sounds like I might have too many things running at the same time and it is clogging it up. I typically have the computer open to the internet all the time with 2 pages windows open running.

Torch,

being a newbee, I am not 100% if its the internet that froze or my actual unit. When you play an online game are you REALLY playing the game in your unit or am I connecting to say EA Sports server?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Ok well the wireless Router is the standard one for Verizon Fios. I live in a 2700sq foot home, the router is on the 1st floor, the PS3 is in a 2nd floor family room. I am using a Wi-Fi extender to boost the signal upstairs. I use a laptop up here ALL the time with zero connection issues. I also have my smartphone on to Wi-Fi only in the house. Changing the location of anything is NOT an option.

So it sounds like I might have too many things running at the same time and it is clogging it up. I typically have the computer open to the internet all the time with 2 pages windows open running.

Torch,

being a newbee, I am not 100% if its the internet that froze or my actual unit. When you play an online game are you REALLY playing the game in your unit or am I connecting to say EA Sports server?

The game runs locally on your machine but syncs with the network via the use of information packets that tell the game servers what you're doing and what your online companions are doing.

A momentary drop in connection while browsing the web, writing e-mails or even watching streamed video will generally go unnoticed. However while gaming, that loss in connection can sometimes lead to issues like game lag, crashes etc. I had to make changes to my router because I was in an area that had no less than about 5 different wireless networks competing for the same air space.

Whenever I'd play something like little big planet, The connection would drop and it would kick me out of the game.

Users who are viewing this thread