Issue with Linking SCT X4 to the Car

stradt03

Established Member
I'm nearing the end of a pretty extensive turbo build and am at the point that I'm ready to load the startup tune and I'm running into an issue. I copied my post from that build thread to the Engine/Tuning section hoping that the increased traffic in this forum will get me some solid responses.

Original thread is here --> http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1065805-Build-Thread&p=14974740#post14974740

I went to load the start up tune and I kept getting a general comm error from my SCT X4. The dash lights up but the theft light flashes and the odometer is all dashes. I'm pretty tuning/computer dumb when it comes to these cars but there are a few decisions I made that might have been bad ones now that I think about it. The car was a vortech car prior to this build. It was built back in 02 before SCT was around and was tuned via an autologic chip. During this build I yanked that chip and threw it out since no one uses Autologic anymore and the plan was to tune it via the X4 handheld. My thought process was that by yanking the chip the car would return to stock tune and I could just proceed from there. Is it possible that the car's stock tune was removed when it was tuned with the Autologic chip? I assume since there was such extensive work done on the car for this build that I could have missed a wire in the harness or bumped the computer harness loose. Any thoughts or suggestions? As of now, the X4 will power up via the OBD2 port but returns a comm error when I try to link it to the car.

Redfire03

Established Member
I had a similar issue with my X4. MY problem was that my in tank fuel pumps (twin 400s) were pulling to much power, the X4 recognized that and wouldn't link.

I ended up having to install a power kill switch between the pumps and battery, and haven't had a problem since.

stradt03

Established Member
I had a similar issue with my X4. MY problem was that my in tank fuel pumps (twin 400s) were pulling to much power, the X4 recognized that and wouldn't link.

I ended up having to install a power kill switch between the pumps and battery, and haven't had a problem since.

Interesting, I actually have dual 465s which likely pull more power than the 400s. Did you have an issue with the theft light flashing and the odometer displaying all dashes?

BO TY KLR

Established Member
I bought a x4 in the spring and never could get it to linkup with car. Did sct updates, ect. Spent many hours on hold with sct helpline. Sent it back to them for service, but still wouldn't link up. So they gave me a refund. These things seem to be very "fragile" .

stradt03

Established Member
I was able to get the X4 to link up. Turns out I forgot to connect one of the wires for the CCRM. All good now

Users who are viewing this thread