Issue with coolant leak

Brian Z.

Established Member
I recently had my cracked intercooler welded up and then I reinstalled it. I think the intercooler is now fine as I'm not losing any water from the intercooler system. However I am losing water from the cooling system and for some reason I have coolant leaking and it appears to be leaking near the back of the engine. I don't know if I just didn't torque the bolts for the lower intake correctly, or if there is some other issue. I did torque them to spec and in the order specified. Anyone else run into this?

I assume the manifold gaskets and rubber gaskets are reusable but if not I guess that could be part of the issue.

I took everything back apart again down to the lower intake and before putting it all back together again I thought I'd get input here. Thanks in advance.

Van@RevanRacing

I recently had my cracked intercooler welded up and then I reinstalled it. I think the intercooler is now fine as I'm not losing any water from the intercooler system. However I am losing water from the cooling system and for some reason I have coolant leaking and it appears to be leaking near the back of the engine. I don't know if I just didn't torque the bolts for the lower intake correctly, or if there is some other issue. I did torque them to spec and in the order specified. Anyone else run into this?

I assume the manifold gaskets and rubber gaskets are reusable but if not I guess that could be part of the issue.

I took everything back apart again down to the lower intake and before putting it all back together again I thought I'd get input here. Thanks in advance.

I would suggest a compression and leak down check to check the head gaskets. Anything in the engine coolant reservoir that looks different?

Brian Z.

Established Member
Van the coolant looks fine. The coolant is literally dripping on the floor but I can't figure out where it is coming from.

Van@RevanRacing

Van the coolant looks fine. The coolant is literally dripping on the floor but I can't figure out where it is coming from.

Can you trace it? Do not wipe it away. hold a finger with a glove for heat protection and trace it. You should not be encountering a coolant leak by removing and replacing the intercooler unless the intercooler is leaking. can you scope the valley of the engine and see if there is fluid in the valley? if it's full it could be that the intercooler is leaking? is the intercooler level in the degas bottle dropping?

Brian Z.

Established Member
The intercooler fluid level has remained fine which is why I think the weld on the intercooler is holding and that I'm not getting a leak there. There is fluid in the valley but it's not full. There should be some fluid in the valley, correct?

I've tried tracing it but there is very little room behind the intake at the firewall so I can't see anything. I'll try using a glove but I can't really even get my hand down there.

Van@RevanRacing

The intercooler fluid level has remained fine which is why I think the weld on the intercooler is holding and that I'm not getting a leak there. There is fluid in the valley but it's not full. There should be some fluid in the valley, correct?

I've tried tracing it but there is very little room behind the intake at the firewall so I can't see anything. I'll try using a glove but I can't really even get my hand down there.

You will likely need to trace it from below. Liquid in the valley is normal if the car has been outside and been exposed to rain. You might want to siphon some of the fluid in the valley and identify if it is water or anti-freeze or whatever you are running for cooling fluid. If you find normal water then it is from rain. If it is coolant then we will need to take a different approach to identify the source of the leak. Has the engine temperature of reservoir dropped its level at all? Can you observe the radiator core and see if there is anything running down the core and side tanks?

Check your oil cooler (drivers side and make sure there is nothing leaking on that side)

Van

CPRsm

Is it possible it's residual fluid from the IC leak ? Have you started it since you fixed it ? If the IC leaks the car will smoke. There is a tube at the low point of the intake that will pull the water into the engine so it will smoke.

Brian Z.

Established Member
No its definitely coolant because I used the ford gold to refill it and that's what it appears to be that's leaking. I started it and it ran fine but after a few minutes it started leaking really bad. I might have just not gotten all of the bolts torqued correctly because my torque wrench sucks but I'll carefully put it back together and again and then if its still leaking try to trace it from below like Van suggested. Wish I'd invested in a lift . . .

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
Did you check the hose at the back of the lower intake ?
The one that's a real PITA to install. Its the first connection i make as I'm dropping the intake down on the heads. You should be able to get your hand on it and see if its leaking.

Van@RevanRacing

Did you check the hose at the back of the lower intake ?
The one that's a real PITA to install. Its the first connection i make as I'm dropping the intake down on the heads. You should be able to get your hand on it and see if its leaking.

Brian you might be able to see this with an LED flashlight and see some moisture leak if it is the cause of the problem. Look around the clamp point. Hope you get this figured out soon.

Brian Z.

Established Member
Yes that hose at the back is a definite pita and is something I thought might be an issue so I will check that too.

Users who are viewing this thread