Issue refueling the Cobra

redrocket16

Established Member
Not too sure what is going on but when I refill the Cobra it burps out excess gas. I don't think its the filler neck grommet as it was just replaced last year but possibly it needs to be looked at. I tried to have the gas feed into the tank slower tonight and it helped but still burped a little out. If I set the gas handle to the fastest fill setting it runs over and onto the bumper cover and then I get to clean it off and dry it as best I can before heading down the road. Any ideas of other things it could be? This just started happening 3 fill ups ago and I didn't have any issues after the build for about 8 months till now. Thanks.

redrocket16

Established Member
Came home tonight and I had a strong odor of gas inside my apt and even stronger in the atatched garage. No leaks that I can see, I even put my fingers to the concrete and smelled for any gas on my hands. Could this be coming from the overflow tube or the filler neck? Any other ideas guys? I still have 40psi at the fuel rails and no gas leaking from under the hood.

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
It can be hard to tell if gas is leaking a bit bc it evaporates fast. My 02 truck had a gas tank that leaked a bit, always smelled like gas but I never found an actual puddle under it or anything. My current truck kicks off constantly at the local gas station but everywhere else i have filled it seems fine. Luckily it does not burp out gas though that would suck.

redrocket16

Established Member
It can be hard to tell if gas is leaking a bit bc it evaporates fast. My 02 truck had a gas tank that leaked a bit, always smelled like gas but I never found an actual puddle under it or anything. My current truck kicks off constantly at the local gas station but everywhere else i have filled it seems fine. Luckily it does not burp out gas though that would suck.

Yeah first time it did it was a real WTH moment. I need to jack it up and see what I can see around the tank I guess and see if I can see a small leak anywhere. I still got a feeling it is related to the fuel neck as it would cause the burbing and the smell too.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
Yeah first time it did it was a real WTH moment. I need to jack it up and see what I can see around the tank I guess and see if I can see a small leak anywhere. I still got a feeling it is related to the fuel neck as it would cause the burbing and the smell too.

I would also check your evap canister and lines. I took mine off, and have the fuel tank vented since the stock evap wasn't enough for me- however the trade off is gas pumps don't shut off on their own for me now. I have to listen carefully so as not to over flow.

Users who are viewing this thread