ISO: Engine Coolant Diagram

MadRacer

It is my understand that the Mark VIII Cobra engine (Same engine used in the 94'-98' Lincoln) had a reverse-flow coolant system.

I was trying to figure out if Ford continued this design for the Mach I and 03'-04' Cobra's.

If anyone has any information or diagrams about this topic, I would be very appreciative.

Thank you in advance!

hotcobra03

Established Member
There were diagrams on here.

However after some changes on format of site a lot got lost or stuck in a cloud somewhere

I don’t recall this information in our service manual

I do recall some large pics of stuff from the leadfoot book

And a member who was posting stuff

Not sure where they got it.

For me the only manual I haven’t been in is

All data. That may be where it’s at being you need an account to use that

These have a thermostat outside of engine mounted on lower radiator hose and a 3rd hose
If that’s what’s your looking to find out

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
Mk8 is same as 1996-1998 cobra. It used the Teksid block with b heads.
The 1999-2001.5 had a Teksid and the others had a WAP block. Those had c heads.
The coolant flow is the same for all. It is standard for Ford..as I believe I understand it to be.

If by "reverse flow" you mean coolant to the heads first (GM), the answer is no.
Flow is from the bottom of the block up to the back of the heads, then forward through the heads.

Some coolant gets stolen from the back of right bank 1 head to feed the heater core. Left bank 2 flows all forward through the head.

The coolant pump pulls coolant forward from heater core valley hose pipe and (front of heads)?

Folks, feel free to fix this info for me...

Last edited:

MadRacer

Mk8 is same as 1996-1998 cobra. It used the Teksid block with b heads.
The 1999-2001.5 had a Teksid and the others had a WAP block. Those had c heads.
The coolant flow is the same for all. It is standard for Ford..as I believe I understand it to be.

If by "reverse flow" you mean coolant to the heads first (GM), the answer is no.
Flow is from the bottom of the block up to the back of the heads, then forward through the heads.

Some coolant gets stolen from the back of right bank 1 head to feed the heater core. Left bank 2 flows all forward through the head.

The coolant pump pulls coolant forward from heater core valley hose pipe and (front of heads)?

Folks, feel free to fix this info for me...

That answers my question! Yes, I meant reverse flow as in GM. I read it somewhere online that they used a system similar to that of GM’s LT1 in the Mark VIII engines. I was not sure if that was true or not.

Users who are viewing this thread