is whipple supercharger smog legal in CA

svt4cobra6

just wondering if anyone knows if installing a whipple supercharger on an 03 cobra will cause a visual smog check failure in california? I have a 2000 f150 that is completely stock but had a section cut out of the stock plastic airbox and they failed me on the visual, of course this was the last portion of the smog test they did so they could still charge me $60 for a failed smog check.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
What a bunch of A-holes! I hate it when they do that. If someone comes in for a smog with the check engine light on or they open the hood and see an obvious visual failure. A smog tech with any sense of decency should tell the customer to fix it and come back without charging them. I would never patronize a smog place that pulled that crap. Anyway to your question, yes a Whipple has a CARB authorization but you better make sure you get the sticker and have it visible under the hood.

oldmodman

Established Member
My 03 Cobra has a 2.3 Whipple, K&N FIPK, Borla.

Before I go to smog the car I re-install the stock 3.5 inch pulley. And I always bring the print out from the Whipple sitye showing that the blower is legal in California and has a valid EO#. So far, nobody has said anything and the car has passed with no problem.

Black306

Established Member
As others have said, a Whipple is legal. Actually, it is legal with either a 3.5" or 3.25" pulley. Because of how the CARB number info is written, it can also include other related components such as an aftermarket mass-air meter, injectors, fuel pump, tune, etc. I had no problem passing with my car at a test-only station.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
I am shocked! I thought for sure it would fail. If you fart in your car while they test it in Cali it will fail. True story!

camp upshur

Established Member
http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-231-23.pdf

This is the strait dope. It is extremely permissive compared to the Executive Order germane to the Kenne Bell CARB exemption. Kudos to Whipple.

That having been said it contains inconsistencies such as authorizing 10psi boost max and authorizing either 3.25" or 3.500' pullys on a 2003-2004 Cobra.
Every word in it has the force of law... inconsistencies and all.

svt4cobra6

looks like even the larger whipple for the 03-04 cobra is exempt too, wondering if a shop could fail you if you are running more than 10 psi? Some might try out where I live just to make more money.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread