Is Torch Red a hard color to match?

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Like the title says, is Torch Red a hard color to match? Reason I ask is because my '03 GT got keyed last night at my apartment complex down to the metal down the whole passenger side. I haven't even had this car a month and it is a mint, stock, 2 owner, garage kept vehicle with 22k miles on it. The last thing I want to look at is mismatched paint the whole rest of the time I own this car.

This is the last straw with apartment living for me. My '94 Cobra acquired a few dents and dings while living here, but it wasn't as big a deal to me since it isn't in pristine shape in the slightest like my '03. I am currently looking at houses now.

Thanks

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Lol no, its a solid red.

Pearls/micas/metallics are hard to match. Redfire, sonic blue, mystichrome, dsg, etc.

07COBRAVENOM

R.I.P. Hissssss
Established Member
Take it to a shop that know what they are doing, NOT MAACO! If its a good shop they should have no problems matching the paint. Just be prepaired to pay top dollar if your not going through insurance.

SpectorV

Established Member
only issue is if they choose the wrong red lol... A friend of mine has a 94 cobra and they picked the wrong red and put it on a spot on his front bumper.... there are a few different reds that are kinda close in those years FYI.

NastyNate420

Established Member
HAHA I have a Zinc yellow mach and took my car to 6 different painters. They ALL said yellow was hard to match. I say BS if you know what your doing! .... Like you he said before the metal flake, pearl paints are def hard to match!

crew_dawg16

Established Member
Lol no, its a solid red.

Pearls/micas/metallics are hard to match. Redfire, sonic blue, mystichrome, dsg, etc.
You are forgetting that the paint is 8 years old.

I heard reds were hard to match because they fade the fastest.

^This. Red does seem to be more prone to fade, although I'm not sure that there is a scientific reason for it.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Lol no, its a solid red.

Actually, the metalflakes and pearls are easier to blend so long as you have the proportions right and your paint guy knows how to mix and spray. The colorshifting hides any slight variations in color.

I've always heard white and black are the two hardest to match. There are infinite subtle variations in white that you don't realize unless they show up side by side.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
You are forgetting that the paint is 8 years old.

^This. Red does seem to be more prone to fade, although I'm not sure that there is a scientific reason for it.

red fades due to the pigments used in the paint mixing process.

fade isnt an issue if its a good shop.

The one i went to had no issues matching 7yo Redfire.

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
red dose not cover well. it usually takes a few more coats to get a nice solid base. matching should not be a problem for a pro painter.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Thanks everyone. There is one shop around here that does some pretty good work. My insurance is covering it through the shop of my choice. And thomas you may laugh at my question, but for example, the Rio Red on my '94 is a tinted clear coat color, that I have heard can be somewhat of a pain to match. Whether Torch Red is the same way or has any other characteristics that could make it hard to match, I didn't know.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Tinted clear coat red, is simply just a colored clear over the red. It's quite pointless, and I have no Idea why ford thought it was a good Idea, because clears fade the fastest. Solid colors such as this have no purpose in having tint over them, except maybe to skimp on making an actual new color.

Also, tinted clears should only be used over candies. Point being you start with a gold or silver base coat, then you shoot on whichever tinted clear you want to get the color Red, green... then you apply the actual none-colored clear.

Anyways, I paint cars, and just wanted to let you know what it really is. Torch is just Base coat/Clear coat. Very easy to spray.

With a solid red, all the panels you spray must have equal amounts of layers, or you'll probably see a different shade on the panels. The average person who has never painted a car before probably couldn't tell the difference. Anyways, this is how you should spray all the panels regardless of what kind of paint, with equal amounts of coats.

Users who are viewing this thread