Is this tire junk?

Larsonator

Established Member
I'm due for an inspection sticker. My front passenger stock Goodyear has about 7k on it and is quite a bit more worn than the drivers side on the outer edge. The tread is almost smooth, but I'm not sure if they need to be worn completely smooth down to the bottom of those little recesses. The center of the tire has quite a bit of tread above the wear bars. Here's a pic

null_zps5227892f.gif

barspen

Established Member
That doesn't look good. Did you have a Front end alignment checked...or is the car pulling drifting in either direction? I got over 23K on my stock Goodyears (before I swapped them out for Continentals) and the wear was very even.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
That's perfectly normal. That's the design of the tire. That's why those holes are there. You need to go off the wear bars/tread depth in the center. That tire looks great to me.

Larsonator

Established Member
Well that's good news. I have an inspection apt Friday. Hopefully I don't have to argue with them about it.

I'll also have to do some research on optimal alignment settings for these cars. It runs straight as an arrow right now. The only thing I've noticed is it tends to really want to follow contours in the road, so you have to keep a grip on the wheel. I assumed that was because of the wide tires.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Well that's good news. I have an inspection apt Friday. Hopefully I don't have to argue with them about it.

I'll also have to do some research on optimal alignment settings for these cars. It runs straight as an arrow right now. The only thing I've noticed is it tends to really want to follow contours in the road, so you have to keep a grip on the wheel. I assumed that was because of the wide tires.

You will likely still have to argue with the guy. Make sure he looks at the whole surface so he can see what you're talking about.

I'm currently running 285's in the front, and they tend to follow the ruts for sure.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
That tire hardly looks worn! :-D

The deep center grooves have wear bars in them and those are the ones you need to worry about!! :read::idea:

This is what a worn tire looks like:

cordedsm.jpg

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread