Is this the 2003 SVT Cobra engine?

Black Cobra

Established Member
This photo is in the 2003 Cobra brochure. I don't think it's a SVT Cobra engine or at least I hope not. What do you think? If not, what car did it come out of?

fangstang

Established Member
Where have you been(J/K)? Yes that is what I'll be looking at soon:coolman:

Black Cobra

Established Member
Better take a closer look. Either there is a miss print in the "Powertrain" section of the brochure or this is not our engine.

Black Cobra

Established Member
Because the engine in the photo, only has one belt. The Press kit and the brochure both state that the blower has it's own dedicated belt. With a dedicated belt comes a dedicated lower pulley. A lower pulley that we will all want to change to a 2# or 4# pulley to get 10 or 12 psi boost instead of 8psi.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Yup - I asked my salesman this same question over a month ago. He told me this picture is incorrect. The 03 will have the same pulley set up as the lightning, i.e., a separate blower belt. Who knows where that picture came from that they put in the brochure! So hopefully, we'll be able to use those same pulleys the lightning guys are using!

Shifty

Established Member
Take a look at the picture again guys. The motor does have two belts. The second one isn't visible from that shot. The difference with the belt configurations is that the lightning's alternator is not driven by the blower belt. It is driven with the other accessories. If you look at the lower left you can see the A/C compressor. That along with the P/S pump and water pump have their own belt.

The only problem I see is that increasing the lower pulley size for more boost will require a modification or removal of the lower idler pulley. Look at how close they are together. This will be interesting to see how the tuners overcome this.

Mike

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by Shifty
Take a look at the picture again guys. The motor does have two belts. The second one isn't visible from that shot. The difference with the belt configurations is that the lightning's alternator is not driven by the blower belt. It is driven with the other accessories. If you look at the lower left you can see the A/C compressor. That along with the P/S pump and water pump have their own belt.

The only problem I see is that increasing the lower pulley size for more boost will require a modification or removal of the lower idler pulley. Look at how close they are together. This will be interesting to see how the tuners overcome this.

Mike

I think you need to look again. It is one belt.

Black Cobra

Established Member
Maybe the engine in the 2003 Brochure was a early version. I had been reading up on blowers and pulleys and had went back to the photo to check out that lower pulley I've been reading about. Where was it? On the 5.4L, the blower's belt is in the front. They will have to do something very similar to this on the 4.6L.

Here is the 5.4L out of the 2002 Lightning Brochure.

Black Cobra

Established Member
The photo below matches the one we see in the 360 degree view at svt.ford.com. If you ask me, it looks like it matches up with the 4.6L photo at the top of this thread. The Blower pulley is inline with and sharing the same belt as the accessories.

How are they going to put a dedicated belt on the blower? Looking at the photo below, it sure looks cramped in there. They would have to increase the drive length (2-3 in. ?) in order to get the blower's pulley out front far enough to put a dedicated blower belt on in front of the accessory belt.

The photo is from the following thread
2003 Supercharged Cobra visits the JDM shop!!

Established Member
You know what? It almost looks like they simply put the belt on completely wrong. Look at the pulley in the lower left hand. There isn't a belt going to it. Maybe they simply screwed up when they were trying to get a picture done for the brochure?

Shifty

Established Member
Ok guys, I had to reply to this. First thing go get a brochure for the Cobra. Now look at the large picture of the engine. If you look directly below the supercharger belt tensioner, you will see the accessory drive belt behind it. Also look below the top idler and you will see the water pump pulley. These items along with the P/S pump are driven off of another belt. The only reason the alternator is driven off of the S/C belt is lack of room anywhere else. IE: There was no room in the valley for alternator.

If you guys are right tell me what is driving the water pump pulley?:-D

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
OK - I downloaded the picture of the engine as shown at the top of this thread, and then zoomed in using a photo editor. Sure enough, as Shifty says, it does indeed look like there is another belt hidden behind where he mentions. However, as Booyah says, and if this picture really is correct, then it will be interesting to see what they do about trying to squeeze in a larger lower pulley. My guess would be they'll have to put on a smaller idler pulley (that one that's real close on the right) and perhaps a smaller alternator pulley, as well. (No sense overdriving that!) Or, maybe that bracket that the idler pulley is on can be moved? (I can't really tell from that picture.). I guess we'll all just have to wait and see what JDM engineers come up with, and I'm sure they will!
:thumbsup:

Black Cobra

Established Member
Good eyes Shifty. I was sort of hoping that the blower would have been like the 5.4L in the Lightning, with "it's own dedicated belt" like the literature states. Oh well, so it won't just be a single pulley swap.

Users who are viewing this thread