Is this slipping clutch, belt slip or tire spin? Help please.

04RiceEater

Established Member
Yea pretty sure it only happens around 3k then it's fine, if I hit it in 2nd or 3rd around 4k it pulls strong with no slip, I have the steeda 100mm idler, anything else I can do to stop this?

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
Snap a photo of your SC belt tensioner, where the pointer is and post it.
You can go smaller belt most likely but a photo would help.

SV

04RiceEater

Established Member
I'm running a 2.81 steeda upper pulley with their idler and belt from American muscle. Whatever the belt size was that's in American muscle is what they sent me and what I'm using but I'll check in the morning and get a picture of it.

Mystic03

Established Member
I'm running a 2.81 steeda upper pulley with their idler and belt from American muscle. Whatever the belt size was that's in American muscle is what they sent me and what I'm using but I'll check in the morning and get a picture of it.

I bet you have too big a belt on

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Supercharger doesn't know what gear your in. If your getting belt slip it should happen in all gears. The vid isn't that great but my guess would be clutch. Do the rpms surge for a second then "catch" and climb normally? I had a turbo car that did the same thing, 1st/2nd no problems. 3rd and up, when the boost hit, the clutch would slip then catch, of course after a few months it started slipping and not catching lol.

Last edited:

04RiceEater

Established Member
It never did it when I had the stock pulley and I just recently changed to the smaller pulley and sometimes get this which makes me think it is belt slip not clutch.

Go on 3

Established Member
Get the green back from Oreily's. To test the clutch, put in 4th gear and give it 3/4 throttle at 25 MPH. If it is slipping you will be able to tell. If not it will bog. Check the belt, that what it looks like to me.

Users who are viewing this thread