Is this safe for the stock engine?

ebear

Ricer Tail Lights!
Established Member
Once I get my cobra, I figured I would get all the bolt-on's.. around 320-330rwhp, and run a 150 shot, would that be safe? or should I keep it 100-125? keep in mind, this will be my daily driver, so I wouldn't want to blow the engine :(

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Then you better not spray it at all. If you want a reliable daily driver, then modding a car is never a good idea.

A 150 shot is really pushing it. A 100 shot will probably be ok, but people have blown up on less than that.

Best bet is to buy a beater for the times the cobra is down (like when you are working on it).

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
Nitrous is pretty much the most unreliable HP increase ever. Ive talked to people that have their engines blow on the first try, and ive talked to people that have been spraying the same motors for 2 years. Its faucking Russian Roulette for the car...

ebear

Ricer Tail Lights!
Established Member
Well here's the deal, my motor blowing wouldn't be that bad, since my roomate also has a car, but Spraying is supposedly less trouble on the motor, due to the fact, that you wouldn't be spraying all the time. Also Nitrious is cheaper (in the short run) then F/I. I've heard the stock block is pretty good until 450-ish HP. So do you think that bolt-ons + 100shot would be relatively safe? unless I get unlucky and blow my motor the first time spraying :0

NXSVTCOBRA

:rollseyes

you'll be fine with 150 shot as long as you get a tune (retard the timing), run good gas, colder plugs, and get a general knowledge of when to, and when not to spray your car. nitrous with a tune is as safe if not safer than any other forced induction, the comment about nitrous being unreliable, i'll call bullshit on it, you jet your system for 100 shot you're gonna get just that, a 100 shot, no spikes or anything else like that, i personally think for a stock motor (or any motor thats driven on the street for that matter) nitrous is by far the best power adder, you have the power on tap, and you have the ability to drive your car around n/a whenever you want..... if you look around on all the boards and put in a search for nitrous, read the threads, most people who bash nitrous are the ones who's either never sprayed before, or blew their motor with nitrous because they were acting retarded with it (i.e. spraying at low rpms, over-reving on the spray, etc.)

like lemosley said, get a daily driver, if you're worried at all about nitrous or any power-adder hurting your motor, your car will go down eventually, as everyones does, whether it be a battery, a transmission, or a motor, its a good investment to spend $500 on a peice of shyt car to get you around with cheap gas mileage.....

ebear

Ricer Tail Lights!
Established Member
the thing about daily drivers is, I couldn't stand driving another car besides the cobra. Heck I have a v6 stang, and I hate driving any other car.. Unless of course it's another stang :thumbsup:

Ling_650vette

Quagmires Apprentice
Established Member
Sprayed pretty much hit it on the head, as long as the tune's right the 100-150 shot should be good. If nothing else, I'd say you want to upgrade the fuel system to handle the nitrous. Running lean is not a good idea. I'd rather have a fuel system built for slight overkill in a situation like that vs not having enough.

That and invest in a good system of a WOT switch, and window switch along w/ the proper gauges to monitor bottle pressure and fuel pressure. Never hurts spending a lil more on stuff like that vs skimping out and possibly hurting the motor, your wallet or yourself.

bouncer18

Established Member
look at who says dont do it.. its the ones that have never done it

100 shot safe with a wet kit.. probably wont need a tune
150 shit i would get a tune to be safe

dont be an idiot and you wont have problems.. nitrous = myth so dont take what you hear seriously.. the ones that go BOOM are the ones that use it like idiots (sprayed pony has it right.. do what he said)

duane v

Established Member
bouncer18 said:
the ones that go BOOM are the ones that use it like idiots
Idiot standing and accounted for :rockon: ...Ive grenaded two motors, two trannies and four clutches with a 150 shot...Get a tune and always run 100 octane and dont powershift, .....My down fall was using a hand activating switch, and I would launch on it...it was fun until I started to see my savings account cut in half within a two year span :uh oh: ...So if I decide to run NOS again, it will be only a 75 shot...DA snake boy!!!

Ling_650vette

Quagmires Apprentice
Established Member
Thats why I say invest in a window switch and WOT switch. That way you (typically) are not spraying out of the hole, and arent spraying thru the shifts (again, typically). Set the window switch to go from about 3000rpm to under redline by 200-500rpm and you SHOULD be fine w/ a tune.

The 100 octane part is good advice, altho I know around here its rather hard to come by. IMO w/ a 150 shot as long as the fuel system is built to withstand more hp then you're pushing, and you've got the switchs setup properly along w/ colder plugs and a tune, 93 octane "should" suffice IMO altho there is nothing wrong w/ pushin more octane in, as long as the inj's can handle it. (Dunno about what the stockers can take, maybe Sprayed can put more info in on that)

ebear

Ricer Tail Lights!
Established Member
Oh, I was planning on upgrading fuelsysem, by stock engine, I meant the actual block, I didn't want to have to upgrade internals... about after a year of having the car i'm going to have the engine rebuilt, but I didn't want it to blow before then :)

OhOneSnake

Let it melt......
Established Member
wals9331 said:
Nitrous is pretty much the most unreliable HP increase ever.

(Insert buzzing "wrong answer" sound here): Nitrous is merely the easiest one to screw up. The blower guys at least know that if they add that 10psi pulley to a stock engine, it could go. Nitrous guys have to worry about matching the jets properly if its a wet system, you can add the 100hp nitrous jet, but if you screw up the fuel jet, it goes lean and kaboom, ect ect.

Its just a little harder at first, not the most unreliable.

Ling_650vette

Quagmires Apprentice
Established Member
ebear said:
Oh, I was planning on upgrading fuelsysem, by stock engine, I meant the actual block, I didn't want to have to upgrade internals... about after a year of having the car i'm going to have the engine rebuilt, but I didn't want it to blow before then :)

The block is strong as hell. They can handle quite a bit of abuse, even on nitrous or FI applications. The block should be able to handle a 100-150 shot w/o a problem.

Just set everything up properly and dont skimp on parts like a bottle warmer, purge kit, blow down tube, WOT switch, window switch, gauges, fuel sys etc.

ebear

Ricer Tail Lights!
Established Member
Ling_650vette said:
The block is strong as hell. They can handle quite a bit of abuse, even on nitrous or FI applications. The block should be able to handle a 100-150 shot w/o a problem.

Just set everything up properly and dont skimp on parts like a bottle warmer, purge kit, blow down tube, WOT switch, window switch, gauges, fuel sys etc.
Alright, thanks for the info :)

Users who are viewing this thread