is this price too much?

silver2001cobra

Established Member
DSC00347.jpg
$15000 for a 2001 cobra with fr500 h/c/i , t-56 6 speed transmission(cobra r spec) and a forge short block. 97000 miles, but 61,000 on the motor and transmission. Nothing wrong with car inside or outside.

Last edited:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I would say yes, he's added alot to the price cause he has quite a bit in the motor and tranny. You can't get back that much in speed parts. But, that would be a great car to drive. I love my FR500 intake, cams, and ported heads :banana:

silver2001cobra

Established Member
I would say yes, he's added alot to the price cause he has quite a bit in the motor and tranny. You can't get back that much in speed parts. But, that would be a great car to drive. I love my FR500 intake, cams, and ported heads :banana:
well it`s my car, i`m trying to sell it, so what is good price?

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
I paid 9800 for my Cobra 6 months ago in immaculate condition. Its only modification is an exhaust.

I believe in generally mods add about 1/3 to the value of the car in this case if that helps. Sooo I'd look at 10,500, and then take a 1/3 of the amount you paid in mods and add that to the price. Oh also the motor and transmission have been used a lot so they are worth less.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I'm no Kelly Blue Blook, but I personally probably wouldn't pay more than 12 for it. That's just my personal guess. Part of it is that I am personally weary of heavily modded cars. You never know how the other person really drove it, who did the work on it, ect. Take my car, I drive it responsibly, but I do drive it hard. I also did all the work my self, with the exception of any welding and the first time I installed the headers. What do you think that would be worth? Now, say that the most well known and reputable shop did all the work. It's worth a little more if you can prove that. But, even then, will a shop stand by work on a car that has been bought and sold? Doubtful. It's worth what you can get for it, so drop it out there and see if anything bites. Christmas is a bad time for major purchases though, just to let you know.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Aside from the KB/Whipple low mile terminators, I've been seeing some nice 03/04 cars selling 18-20k. If you get 15 for it, you're one lucky sob. 12k tops. 14 or 15 might be a good starting asking price, and you might sell it for 12 or 13.

silver2001cobra

Established Member
I'm no Kelly Blue Blook, but I personally probably wouldn't pay more than 12 for it. That's just my personal guess. Part of it is that I am personally weary of heavily modded cars. You never know how the other person really drove it, who did the work on it, ect. Take my car, I drive it responsibly, but I do drive it hard. I also did all the work my self, with the exception of any welding and the first time I installed the headers. What do you think that would be worth? Now, say that the most well known and reputable shop did all the work. It's worth a little more if you can prove that. But, even then, will a shop stand by work on a car that has been bought and sold? Doubtful. It's worth what you can get for it, so drop it out there and see if anything bites. Christmas is a bad time for major purchases though, just to let you know.
thanks for the advice, i`m just trying to test the waters. If it doesn`t sell, i`ll keep it and do something else to it to keep me interested with the car.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
thanks for the advice, i`m just trying to test the waters. If it doesn`t sell, i`ll keep it and do something else to it to keep me interested with the car.

If a FR500 H/C/I Cobra can't keep your interest, I can't imagine anything short of a twin turbo Viper is going to. You could always do Bruce's IRS kit, some full length subframes, and coil overs. That will up the fun factor a bit.

elyrain

Established Member
I personally don't think it too high, the KBB got a little skewed this year because of the high gas prices at the beginning of the year, and the recession. Your almost always going to make out better by parting out a modded car then selling it whole though.

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
Using a book to determine what someone WILL FOR SURE pay for your car is like using a book to see what color hair your kids will have before you have them. You won't know till the buyer comes. :)

I think 12k is where I'd price it. I've seen 03/04's go for 14-15's now if you look hard. That car sounds pretty awesome though.

turbo2300

new svt *****
Established Member
i bought my 99 off a brokeass friend for 7k, he bought it last year for 10k, flowy exhaust and drop in k/n filter (stock airbox), he installed the 4:10s.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
I personally don't think it too high, the KBB got a little skewed this year because of the high gas prices at the beginning of the year, and the recession. Your almost always going to make out better by parting out a modded car then selling it whole though.

Normally I would hop on board with this but there are two things that I always like to keep in mind. We have to consider the general public who we are really marketing a sale to. Sure we understand the value of mods but overall, as a rule of thumb when it comes to sale prices mods for the most part are mostly a wash. Secondly, the thing that jumps out to me about this car is yes it has a lot of mods, but they have so much mileage on them at this point, they arent new or recent....to me that most negates their value as it goes to increasing value. I was post it for you what think is right, put and nice OBO next to it and expect to get offered a lot less

Users who are viewing this thread