Is this okay? - Mixing two used pistons with new pistons

kitsune1324

Established Member
Hey guys, I'm in the process of rebuilding my 2000 v6 and I'm trying to figure out if it's alright to mix two used forged pistons with four brand new forged pistons.

Any feedback would be awesome!

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
I'm no expert engine builder, but I would think that if the old pistons spec out properly, and the new pistons match as far as dish, reliefs, etc, then you really shouldn't have a problem.

It happens all the time where someone hurts a piston or ring in a cylinder, and just fixes that one. Go for it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

kitsune1324

Established Member
I'm no expert engine builder, but I would think that if the old pistons spec out properly, and the new pistons match as far as dish, reliefs, etc, then you really shouldn't have a problem.

It happens all the time where someone hurts a piston or ring in a cylinder, and just fixes that one. Go for it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Awesome, thank you for the reply! I'll go ahead and use the used pistons, otherwise I'll be spending another $300 for two new pistons..

Three21

Established Member
You should find someone with a digital postage scale and weigh them as well, especially if they are from different manufacturers as that could cause some balancing nightmares.

Users who are viewing this thread